Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

cadence meter for $12

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 02:33 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cadence meter for $12

I came across this article, on building a cadence meter for $12, via lifehacker and thought it might be interesting to people here, we often seem to talk about cadence.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Very...-Your-Bike-12/
Old 07-15-08, 05:34 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get cadence on many cyclometers very cheap anymore. I think I paid less than $35.00 for my cyclometer with cadence and it is a Cat Eye Astrale 8.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 07-16-08, 10:33 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Great idea, thanks!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 07-17-08, 01:42 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to try this. My bike is a triple. The granny gear is steel, but it is small. The magnets could attach to the gear, not just to the bolts. Still, I would want to make magnet holders out of sheet metal for each magnet and run the bolts through the holder for a more secure attachment. Even then, I am not sure I can get the pickup close enough to the BB to "read" the magnets passing.

But, I had another thought I want to try first. I got a package of five button magnets at Radio Shack. One of them fits into the slight recess for the inner end of the left pedal at the crank. I would set the cyclometer for a wheel size of 1,666 mm rather than 3333 mm (1/5th of 16,666 mm) and multiply the display reading by 10 for my cadence. It seems like it should work and I would have a better magnet mount, as well as more room to mount the pickup coil.
Old 07-18-08, 10:03 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have now tried the $12 cadence meter. I used one magnet stuck to the end of my left pedal where it fits into a nice little recess and will not easily come off. It is a round button magnet that came in a pack from Radio Shack. I programmed the cyclometer to a wheel size of 1667 and to read in Km/Hr. I ignore the decimal point in the display for a direct reading of my cadence. I made a bracket from heavy wire to bolt to the water bottle screws on the seat tube and to hold the pickup. This involved a little welding, but I have a welder.

As an accuracy check of the cadence meter I memorized my speed, cadence, and gear during part of today's ride. I used the following formula to see if the results equaled what I got from the meter: cadence = 336 x miles per hour/gear in inches. (336 is a constant.) The meter is accurate.

I had always thought my cadence was hopelessly stuck in the 60's and 70's, but discovered I actually hit 90 rpm for a while and was frequently riding in the 80's. I will use my new cadence meter to monitor my shifting from now on and will attempt to stay in the 80's.

It works very well.
Old 07-18-08, 10:38 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I love the fact you had to weld to get it to work - man after my own heart!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 07-20-08, 04:04 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think a little careful experimentation with some paper to develop a pattern I could use to cut a mounting bracket out of galvinized sheet metal would have worked, but I try to weld whenever I can find an excuse.

I went on a 28 mile group ride yesterday and used the cadence meter to hold my cadence around 85. Whenever it dropped below 80 I shifted down. As soon as I shifted my cadence jumped to almost 90. People riding around me were starting to breathe heavily at the start of a slight upgrade. Not only did I not break a sweat, but I was passing people again and again. I did come home and take a hard nap afterward, though.