Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Compressed air emergency tire-filling doohickeys

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Compressed air emergency tire-filling doohickeys

Old 01-02-22, 09:18 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That's because you've observed so many discarded CO2 containers along busy bike routes (and that's not counting the ones properly disposed) and have seen so many people (including fellow group members) having difficulties with CO2 inflators and ultraminipumps decided you're a pump person and you've now adopted the false problems with difficulty and wastefulness because doing so supports your position..

FTFY. That said, I'm sure that some folks don't have these difficulties and find a way to recycle their canisters, and a properly used canister can be marginally quicker and lighter than a full-size pump which some people care about. If it works for you, go with it!
Old 01-02-22, 09:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
That's an impressive field fix. I tore a sidewall of a tubless tire open on a closed fire service road this past fall; I had to boot it with a bunch of tire patches; a dollar bill and a couple pieces of trash I found on-hand. I only had the one spare tube (I should've had a 2nd but forgot to pack it) & had to get it right the 1st time. Even with the boot; the tube bulged disturbingly vulnerable for the gravel, but I got back to paved in short order, for a much longer route back to my car. Still, nothing like our patch!!!
Kudos for pressing roadside debris into service. Winning.
Old 01-03-22, 01:50 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have a couple of co2 inflators, of different brands, they work fine. They do take practice, but it's not difficult to use, once or twice is all it takes. A canister will more than fill a 700x25 tire to full pressure. My 29x2 needs 1.5. Not a big deal. Buy them by the box on Amazon and the cost is easy too.
Likes For leob1:
Old 01-05-22, 08:49 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Pumps like this have both for the belt and suspender crowd.
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Bike-Pum.../dp/B07Q6Q7B5Z
Old 01-09-22, 06:12 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
If reverse Karma existed, I'd talk endlessly about my 4-flat ride where I used all the things, my 3am flat in the middle of frickin' nowhere, my failed pump in Vancouver WA, the magical railroad track incident, and the numerous side of the country road in the cold rain flats. But Karma doesn't work that way. In fact I'll probably get a flat on my trainer tonight just for bringing this up.
I went to take a bike down today to ride it to the office. I didn't plan to top off the tires because it is only about a 1/4 mile ride but I gave the front tire a squeeze. Two weeks after my chain incident guess what I had. I damn sure am not going to ever boast about my lack of misfortune again.