Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stranded at Work

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Stranded at Work

Old 01-10-22, 05:43 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Stranded at Work

I changed into my cycling gear, turned on my Garmin and walked out the door... CRASH! A thunderstorm started right as I was leaving.

I bicycle commute twice a week to work, three times if I can, but I'm stranded here at my office waiting for the lightening to stop. I've always prided myself on cycling in any weather except for 25mph+ wind or lightening. Fortunately, I don't need to deal with snow or subfreezing temeratures here in SE Florida, but I'm not going out there in an electrical storm. So I'm here with you folks until I don't hear lightening for ten minutes. My makeshift dinner tonight consists of 2 Nutrigrain bars covered in almond butter. It's not my choice of dinner selections, but it's not so bad, considering. My office assistant usually has chocolate hidden somewhere in her desk, but I'm afraid I'll eat all of it if I start on only one or two. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not upset; I'm just killing time. I'm also done with work, having put in a ten hour day. It's been about 40 minutes, and I can still hear some thunder.

So do any of you have stranded at work stories?
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-10-22, 05:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Ha... Good luck. Hope its not too wet on the way back. My only lighting stranded story was having to wait out the electrical storm in a large tree due to flooding during a monsoon in Africa. Luckily we did not get fried or drown...
Old 01-10-22, 06:00 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

It's 7 PM, after an hour of waiting, and I haven't heard any thunder. See ya!

No. I didn't eat any of her chocolate.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-10-22, 06:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The speed of sound is about 1100 ft/sec or 340 m/sec so five seconds from flash to thunder is a mile away and three seconds is a km

Some processes at work are required to stand down if there's enough static in the air but I think this was a special instrument on site that isn't part of a standard weather station or forecast.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-10-22, 07:09 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I found Doppler radar to be a great tool for planning my departures. I was lucky enough to be able to leave early to beat the weather; however a few times I had to delay leaving.
Old 01-10-22, 08:35 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 342 Posts
I got snowed in at the office one time. Had to push my bike through more than a foot of snow for almost 3 miles in the dark. Of course, I took a short cut through the woods. I skieeeeed in the next morning.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-11-22, 09:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
It happens. Doppler weather radar can help you plan a commute, if your work is a bit flexible. Sometimes I'd leave a half an hour early to avoid an hour wait.

And of course, once you've decided to wait out a thunderstorm, it's twice as hard to ride through the gentle shower at the tail end!
Old 01-11-22, 09:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
So do any of you have stranded at work stories?
No. Because I drive my car to work and this stuff never happens.
Old 01-11-22, 09:38 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Im not staying like ever. I have rode home with tornado sirens blarring I dont see that changing.
Old 01-11-22, 10:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I've tried timing summer departures using radar imagery to predict. sometimes it worked out, other times, not so much
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-11-22, 01:09 PM
Bassmanbob

I usually check the Weather Channel app before I go, but I didn't yesterday afternoon. I had checked it in the morning and said goodbye to my office staff outside which was about 45 minutes before I attempted to leave. It looked fine at 5:15, but this is SE Florida. A thunderstorm can roll in here at a moment's notice, but that's usually in the late spring to early autumn, not January.
Old 01-11-22, 05:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
You don't want to mess with lightning. We don't have to deal with that too much here. I have left my bike at work on a few wintry afternoons when the snow or ice came and my bike was shod with the wrong tires. I don't want to have to ride for an hour in dicey road conditions, so I've run the 12-mile commute a few times. I'd take another bike to work the next day, and wait for an opportunity to run to work at some point in the near future and ride the bike back home.
Old 01-11-22, 06:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Being stranded at work is far superior to be stranded under an overpass during a raging thunderstorm. At least it’s drier and warmer. Colorado thunderstorms can drop the temperature 20 to 30°. Wet and standing around at 60°F is very uncomfortable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-12-22, 07:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,385 Times in 2,733 Posts
Surely the rubber tires will protect you from lightning....
Old 01-12-22, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Surely the rubber tires will protect you from lightning....
Nope. Not even in a car. Look up Faraday cage.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-12-22, 10:03 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Being stranded at work is far superior to be stranded under an overpass during a raging thunderstorm. At least it’s drier and warmer. Colorado thunderstorms can drop the temperature 20 to 30°. Wet and standing around at 60°F is very uncomfortable.
Indeed they can.

One day, I had been biking around the fields (in the Boulder area), when an afternoon hail storm came over the mountains, down the Flatirons, and right onto our heads. Thought I could out-run the thing ... only had a mile to go. I was wrong. Was probably a ~75°F day, which dropped to ~40°F within moments as the front of that wall of ice came. Got caught out in the open for a minute or two. Was one of the least-pleasant rides I've ever had. Welcome to Colorado hailstorms. Boom.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-12-22, 11:14 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
The only time I remember being "stranded" at work was during a quick rain storm right after work. I had just started bicycle commuting and was riding a too-small department store Mongoose full-suspension mountain bike with extra-knobby WTB Velociraptor tires. I had a backpack and was wearing khaki shorts, sneakers, a cotton tee shirt, and no helmet. I hadn't even bought my first bicycle helmet at that time.

Waiting in the parking garage for the rain to stop, I noticed a slender, fit guy in spandex waiting there too. He was riding a Kestrel road bike and probably thought I was the biggest rube who ever fell off the turnip truck. We spoke briefly and he said he lived in a suburb that was probably fifteen miles away. At the time, I couldn't imagine riding a bicycle that far.
Old 01-12-22, 11:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,041 Times in 3,801 Posts
Serious question...Does riding a bicycle in a thunderstorm increase your odds of being struck by lightning more than if you are driving a car? if it's just a matter of avoiding heavy rain, I totally get that.
Old 01-12-22, 01:00 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Serious question...Does riding a bicycle in a thunderstorm increase your odds of being struck by lightning more than if you are driving a car? if it's just a matter of avoiding heavy rain, I totally get that.
I cant see why it would. a tree falling on a guy riding a bike will be way worse than a tree falling on a car though. and I have watched a couple trees and big limbs fall while riding
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-12-22, 01:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Probably slightly better chance of getting hit in the car.

The consequences are likely higher on the bike, though. First, you are the lightning rod on the bike, so all 10-200,000 amps will come through you before it gets to the bike. And 1" or so of bike tire rubber isn't as good an insulator as a car tire. Second, that lightning current will be dispersed through the car; in the car you'll probably say "Wow!" and, at worse, need to have some wiring and electronics replaced. That's harder for a neurologist than for an auto mechanic.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-12-22, 02:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Probably slightly better chance of getting hit in the car.

The consequences are likely higher on the bike, though. First, you are the lightning rod on the bike, so all 10-200,000 amps will come through you before it gets to the bike. And 1" or so of bike tire rubber isn't as good an insulator as a car tire. Second, that lightning current will be dispersed through the car; in the car you'll probably say "Wow!" and, at worse, need to have some wiring and electronics replaced. That's harder for a neurologist than for an auto mechanic.
I ride one of them plastic bikes, so I have a little more insulation from the ground than just the tire. Come to think about it, the only ferrous metal parts on my bike are probably bolts. In reality, I'm not going to ride in a thunderstorm because I'm soft AF with weather.

EDIT: I guess I can add spokes, bearings, and BB spindle to the ferrous metal parts. It still ain't a whole lot.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-12-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 03:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I ride one of them plastic bikes, so I have a little more insulation from the ground than just the tire.
You might want to rethink this.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-12-22, 03:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You might want to rethink this.
What am I missing?

It's all theoretical, anyways. I don't ride when the ground is wet, let alone when it's raining.
Old 01-12-22, 03:46 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
There was one winter day that I almost could have been stuck at the office. On the ride in to work, there was considerable slush and snow and when my rear derailleur prevented me from shifting into my lowest 2 gears (of 8), I thought it was a problem with freezing. Since I was already more than halfway there, I pedaled harder the rest of the way (uphill for a portion).
When I got a chance to look it over closely, I discovered one of the idler wheels was seized. It could not be turned at all, even after warming up and trying to work some oil into it. In the upper gears, the chain would slide over the idler with some resistance.
Since the bike was just a few months old, I called the LBS where I bought the bike and they actually drove to my office and picked up the bike. They disassembled the RD and discovered the bearing was completely dry and it was not a true ball bearing, but just a sleeve. It worked fine when they brought it back to me about 1 hour before the end of the work day so I got home on my own.
Shortly afterward, I shopped and found a better model of derailleur with sealed bearings in the idlers so that won't happen again.
Old 01-12-22, 09:39 PM
cyccommute 

What am I missing?

It's all theoretical, anyways. I don't ride when the ground is wet, let alone when it's raining.
Think of it this way: lightning travels thousands of feet through the air which is a very poor conductor of electricity to get to the ground. A small bit of rubber or a bit of plastic isn’t going to stop it.

Carbon fiber is also conductive. I once felt the electricity of an approaching storm crackle through my fly rod high up in the Colorado Rockies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.