Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bafang??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 01:43 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Bafang??

First post here!
Seriously thinking about doing a conversion on my LHT. I work or in a bike shop about 25 miles away. Lots of hills. And since I will be working more and with gas going up... Well it might be a good idea. I could get a new Giant ebike with my discount but after doing some checking I think I would like to try a conversion via a mid-drive.
So anyone here use a Bagfang? Where did you get it? Thinking of the 500w.
Thanks!!
Old 03-08-22, 06:20 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Seven trouble-free years on my BBS02. Look at Lunacycle, but there are other good vendors. The LHT seems like a good platform with several posts on conversions here and/or at endless sphere.

Last edited by 2old; 03-08-22 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-11-22, 06:03 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I have a 26” wheel LHT and am thinking of Bafanging it. Put a Bafang bbshd on a Riv Clem Smith and enjoying it thoroughly. I went with the beefier unit because I’m in steep terrain but for paved street riding it’s more boost than needed. If I had access to an employee discount ebike with torque sensor it would be a real tossup as the cadence sensor is pretty crude, I think I need to learn how to program it. If you try and replicate a moped you’ll be pushing some limits but if you stick with fast commuting speeds w less than max e boost everything will last longer.

Last edited by LeeG; 03-11-22 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-11-22, 07:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Ordered the unit and battery! Install looks quite easy.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 03-11-22, 11:27 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Ordered the unit and battery! Install looks quite easy.
good one! Give yourself adequate familiarization especially for low speed handling in tight quarters. The boost comes on way too strong at an initial pedaling movement even at the lowest setting so as to make a tight turnaround or trials like maneuvers nearly impossible. You’ll get used to depressing the brake lever slightly to cut out the motor. A few times I had the power setting at mid to high levels when at a stop and shot off in the wrong direction when starting off. All my riding is dirt road and trails and just recently ventured out on pavement where the negative attributes are moot in steady straightline riding. There’s a tendency to want to use the available power but it just sucks the battery down quickly and riding at 20-25 mph still takes as much attention as if you were riding at that speed on your own effort. Besides moped speeds start getting to where a front suspension helps for safety and comfort. It has 9 levels of boost and I’ll use 1-7 for off road and 1-5 for road but if you want range level three is plenty for most road riding. I have a big 17.4 ah battery and was able to suck down 1/4 of the battery in a few miles of steep trails riding but on the road I did 15 miles at low boost avg 15 mph and the simple battery light meter showed all three green lights green. Not a precise measurement but a simple indication that high drain use is noticeable and using a fraction of the motors available power moves one effortlessly at fast commuting speeds.
Likes For LeeG: