Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Online trek calculator says I am 56cm, but the 52 in store fit perfectly?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-15-22, 09:42 PM
Zealex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am currently shopping for a road bike, and have settled on the Trek emonda alr5. I went to the store, and got fitted using their 'machine' and it said 54cm. Online said 56cm, but truth be told perhaps I measured my inseam incorrectly. Anyways I tried an Emonda frame in 54cm and while I could ride it, the trek employee put the seat all the way to the bottom and my arms were fully stretched - it could not go lower, I could ride it but it def felt...stretched. I swapped to a 52 and it felt so much better, so much more natural and I think I will be going with the 52cm. My question is, is it possible that it could be too small? My height is 5'9-5'10 and it seems my height suggest I should be 54-56, and my inseam is 31 from what I measured. It's my first 'proper' bike, so I am a bit nervous.
Old 06-16-22, 04:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Well it sounds like the 54 was too big for you right now. As long as you don't have the seat height at max on the 52 I would just go with that. But you might want to check what it feels like climbing a steep hill out of the saddle. If it's too small you will feel cramped up and may even bang your knees on the bars in this situation. But you won't notice this riding on a flat road. As you gain more riding experience you are likely to raise the saddle a little and maybe want to be a little more stretched out, so you do need some room to adjust for this. You can easily fit a longer stem to stretch out more, so it's really about making sure you have some leeway on the saddle height.
Old 06-16-22, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
So did you mis-measure your inseam or not? That and other wrong measurements will make any sizing recommendations sketchy, other than a experienced and trained eye. Or perhaps your personal desires for how you think a bike should fit.

Big thing is look at the genre the bike is made for. What is the typical position that professional and real serious riders have when riding that genre of bike. If you are wanting a different position than they ride in, then sizing recommendations are probably useless. I'd also suggest that if you want a different position than norm, then that's probably not the correct genre of bicycle for you.

So maybe if you like the 52, get the 52. Like any purchase, I recommend you don't spend so much that you can't get another bike if or when you find out you should have gotten the other size.
Old 06-19-22, 04:47 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
5-9 / 5-10

52 cm seems small
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-19-22, 10:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
5-9 / 5-10

52 cm seems small
Well yeah, that's why this thread exists.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-19-22, 11:14 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I'm close in size to you and I know that after I spend a lot of time on a 52cm I'll be kicking myself for not going with the 54cm. Your body will relax with time spent on that bike and unless you're not very flexible, you'll want to be able to drop into a more 'aero' position simply because in time you'll find it more comfortable. Good luck in whichever size you decide on. The 52 might just be calling out to you for reasons we out here in the ether can't grasp.
Old 06-19-22, 12:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
What do you mean by 'proper bike'? If you're new to biking, you probably don't know what you need.

With a height of 5'9" or 10" and a 31" biking leg length, the 52 is likely to be too small in the longer term unless you're racing (and maybe even then). You can raise the seatpost a lot, but you're likely to feel cramped on the bike because the top tube is too short for you once you have a couple of hundred miles on the bike. It takes time to get conditioned to the bike.

A lot of new riders are afraid to lose contact with the ground, so they like low seats, and that puts them on smaller bikes. Riding, though requires your feet to get off the ground.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-21-22, 01:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
My height is 5'10". It isn't 5'9"- 5'10" it is 5'10". My cycling inseam is 33". 31" is a tailors inseam. When shopping for expensive road bikes the details matter. Gone are the days when inseam alone determined what bike you bought! Takeway: the o.p. should not be shopping for expensive roadbikes alone. The 52cm is too small. Period. It does not, cannot, fit "perfectly". The salesperson that would let that sale go through will have their Immortal Soul consigned to Hell and have to watch "SpongeBob SquarePants" reruns forever <shudder>.
Old 06-27-22, 07:25 PM
Zealex

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a giant TCR in medium instead, made a new post about a fit question. My inseam is 31 as measured by myself and a random store employee and my brother. So 3 people.