Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two Shorter Rides equal to One Long Ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Two Shorter Rides equal to One Long Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 11:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's something to be said about acclimating yourself to the conditions, but show me someone that thinks that riding indoors in AC is a cakewalk and I'll show you someone that hasn't ridden indoors in AC. Riding performance often suffers indoors because it can be a struggle to provide enough cooling and oxygen to a stationary rider.
...I ride outdoors here, even in the heat, up to about 90* f. If I had to ride indoors on a stationary bike or on rollers, I'd find another form of exercise. It's too hard on an old guy like me. Admittedly, the heat here is pretty dry, so not like Houston at all. Some days it doesn't even feel like I'm sweating outdoors.
Old 07-15-22, 11:21 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
I think that if you train hard enough, 30-mile rides can prepare your heart, lungs, and legs well enough for an 85-mile ride. The shorter rides are less effective in preparing your neck, shoulders, wrists, crotch, and feet. If you can do a pre-dawn start and get a 50 or 60 mile ride or two in, they might tell you a lot. Something as simple as a helmet visor that won't stay all the way up can turn into a real pain in the neck.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-15-22, 01:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's something to be said about acclimating yourself to the conditions, but show me someone that thinks that riding indoors in AC is a cakewalk and I'll show you someone that hasn't ridden indoors in AC. Riding performance often suffers indoors because it can be a struggle to provide enough cooling and oxygen to a stationary rider.
maybe i am that someone but i do think riding indoors in AC would be a cakewalk. my trainer is setup in the garage where yesterday it was 95F while i was sweating bullets doing VO2max. thought i'd die. i'd love to do that in an AC'd room.
Old 07-15-22, 01:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i agree with most here that two shorts won't equal a long. start out before the sun rises if possible. never did this before but this morning i was out on the road at 3.40AM. was not able to sleep. got home at my normal wake up time. ride was interesting to say the least.

texas is quite flat i think where you are. what about where you will ride in UK? might need to be more concerned about that.
Old 07-15-22, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Training in extreme heat is going to make his ride in cool weather very easy.

No it won't because it's just making his training unnecessarily difficult and he probably won't do it as a result. Or he might heat stroke if he does.

I acclimate myself to ride centuries in the mid-90s. It has nothing to do with how easy I find riding similar distances at moderate temperatures.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-22, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

What I am proposing is a lot better and more effective than riding a stationary bike.

BS, because he already said in the OP that he can't do what you're proposing.

Save the no pain, no gain nonsense for yourself. There's no benefit to making something unendurable.
Old 07-15-22, 01:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by spelger
i agree with most here that two shorts won't equal a long. start out before the sun rises if possible. never did this before but this morning i was out on the road at 3.40AM. was not able to sleep. got home at my normal wake up time. ride was interesting to say the least.

texas is quite flat i think where you are. what about where you will ride in UK? might need to be more concerned about that.

Be careful with this. I've learned the hard way that sleep deprivation and long rides don't mix well.
Old 07-15-22, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Leading into a 300k, my single longest ride that year was 34 miles and the next was 22 miles. Was that smart? I finished.
I'm finding that amazing. Were you doing any other kind of training? Were you riding every day?
Old 07-15-22, 02:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS, because he already said in the OP that he can't do what you're proposing.
He never said that he can't do it... He said that riding in the heat is giving him hard time.
Old 07-15-22, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He never said that he can't do it... He said that riding in the heat is giving him hard time.
It "really cripples" him. That's a lot more than a hard time.

I used to ride in New Orleans in the summer. It's not for everyone, and I don't get why you think it has anything to do with gearing up for a ride that almost certainly won't get above 70 degrees. Actually I do get it--you're completely ignorant on the subject.
Old 07-15-22, 02:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
maybe i am that someone but i do think riding indoors in AC would be a cakewalk. my trainer is setup in the garage where yesterday it was 95F while i was sweating bullets doing VO2max. thought i'd die. i'd love to do that in an AC'd room.
I sweat bullets doing VO2max in a 68⁰ room in the winter time. Even so, my results are lower vs what I can do outside.
Old 07-15-22, 02:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm finding that amazing. Were you doing any other kind of training? Were you riding every day?
When I did my first century, it was based almost exclusively off of interval training indoors over the winter. None of my individual sessions was more than 90 minutes, either.
Old 07-15-22, 02:43 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Did it twice actually.

Last year I was hiking the AT on thru but got hurt on a descent in the snow and had to stop. Did next to nothing for 6-8 weeks healing. Legs have memory. I did not ride at all or essentially none. I did use a recumbent, so, my ass was ok.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-15-22, 04:31 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 1,790 Posts
Training in extreme heat is going to make his ride in cool weather very easy.
No it won't.
livedarklions is correct. Training in the heat provides no special benefit for performance at cooler temperatures.

Overall, we conclude that training in the heat was not superior compared to normal (control) training for improving aerobic power or TT performance in cool conditions.

Mikkelsen et al, Prolonged Heat Acclimation and Aerobic Performance in Endurance Trained Athletes, Frontiers in Physiology, 2019

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-22, 05:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
livedarklions is correct. Training in the heat provides no special benefit for performance at cooler temperatures.

Overall, we conclude that training in the heat was not superior compared to normal (control) training for improving aerobic power or TT performance in cool conditions.

— Mikkelsen et al, Prolonged Heat Acclimation and Aerobic Performance in Endurance Trained Athletes, Frontiers in Physiology, 2019
As a year round cyclist who has ridden a lot of miles in both extreme cold and extreme heat, I disagree with both of you.
Old 07-15-22, 05:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

— Mikkelsen et al, Prolonged Heat Acclimation and Aerobic Performance in Endurance Trained Athletes, Frontiers in Physiology, 2019
As a year round cyclist who has ridden a lot of miles in both extreme cold and extreme heat, I disagree with both of you.
Thank you for sharing your personal opinion. That's worth something, I guess.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-22, 06:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Uh, I believe you left out the concern for cold rain in September.
I agree,
do your 'training rides' however you can, within reason. Don;t elevate the 'Angst' level. You're not doubling Ventoux or the Galibier, or the Everest Challenge...
it's 85 miles in Britain.
The weather there can swing dramatically, although Sept there and on the Continent is relatively 'quiet' weather-ise, compared to the swings in Oct and later...
Here's a quick summary of weather in Britain in 2021.
I'm sure there's more real data available if you chose to search.
My main concern would be rain and wind, in relatively cold temps. Let's face it Houston is NOT gonna have weather in the 50's or lower in July or August or even Sept.
SO you're coming from High Temps and High Humidity to potentially quite 'cold', windy could be a great shock.
ANyone who's ridden long time/long distance in low temps, constant wet and possible wind will confirm this could easily deplete body reserves quickly from dealing with body temp loss.
You'll have plenty enough miles in the legs - given that you plan to ride consistently before, it's not the miles.
It's the TIME - even at a crushing 20 mph - 4+ hours in driving rain can bury you. If you're able to do 17-18 mph avg (alone that's a v-strong effort) that means 5 ish hours of riding, not counting the stopping time.
Plan your KIT, so that you are well prepared for 'conditions' over time.
If you have it, it will be beautiful !!! LOL!
I might also 'poll' the UK riders who are on BF for their considerations on the event, timing and prep. (You'll prolly get a slew of posts from us Californians, Floridians and the Canucks of course... LOL!)
Ride on, comfy
Yuri
There is a UK Forum...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-15-22 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-15-22, 07:24 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
While it's not the "same," it's still good. A rule of thumb is that if you plan to ride X miles in one day, you would be well served by regularly riding that far in a week.
I first heard this on BF several years ago, and have repeated it a few times myself. My typical ride is 15-20 miles, but I rarely miss a day and consistently ride more than 100 miles in a week. I decided I wanted to ride a century, so tried it and had no trouble doing 100 miles. (I've done it twice.) If you're consistently riding 85+ miles a week, you should be able to cover that in a day.
Likes For Random11:
Old 07-15-22, 09:26 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
Along with the temperature, the terrain in the UK probably will be a lot different than what you are used to. It probably would be a good idea to plan a few rides at Chapel Hill or somewhere north west of Houston to get some elevation mixed into your rides. Just make sure you plan a route and bring enough water.

What part of Houston are you in?
The stationary bike the OP has would be suitable for getting strength for hills.

He can insert "climbing intervals" during stationary bike training. The key is for the climbing intervals to feel hard. Target a cadence rate of around 80 rpm during a climbing interval then keep increasing the wheel resistance of your stationary bike (more pressure to the wheel brake or higher setting to the magnetic resistance) to raise your heart rate to around 85% Max Heart Rate (MHR) and hold it for a long as you can, maxing out at 30 minutes. It can be quite difficult at first so you may start the climbing intervals 5 minutes at a time. Eventually, you'll get fit enough to easily do it continuously well beyond 30 minutes. However, IMO, it's better to break it up to multiple intervals (instead of one hour of continuous "climbing", split it into two 30 mins each with an easy 20mins to 1 hr of easy interval in between) to also train your cardio system to cope with varying power demands faster.

The key takeaway here is you're likely not going to be doing any 85 - 90% MHR efforts on your first century ride. I'd even recommend to avoid doing it to avoid onset of fatigue too early. And don't forget to put easy gears for your UK ride and on your first century ride with hill, it won't hurt to over-do the small gears, even put dinnerplate size cassette, you get the idea.
Old 07-15-22, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
?

There's no reason that doing "harder" 30 mile rides regularly (back-to-back would be better) couldn't prepare him for doing an "easy" 85 mile ride. It might not be "ideal" but it would "work".
you are sooooo right. Boy do I feel like a total idiot now. Thanks for pointing out my grave error.

Old 07-15-22, 11:43 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by adami_99
I live in Houston TX and am currently training for a 85 mile ride in the UK in September. My aim is not as much speed as finishing the ride feeling fairly good (endurance is important). The weather in Houston in the summer is very hot (91 F and up and the 100s are not at all unusual) and humid; I try to ride very early in the morning right after sunrise to be at least in the high 80s F but do encounter the hot temperature towards the end of my ride (that really cripples me). That said, I have a hard time riding in the heat for more that 45-50 miles and quite honestly I am a 15 mph rider .
I think you might need more conditioning than 30 mile flat rides effort in 80-90°F in Huston, to be strong enough for 85 mile ride facing head winds, uphill climbs and in possibly cold rains, You might encounter all 3 undesirable conditions all there at the same time all that day there But all very good luck to You.
Old 07-21-22, 10:03 PM
adami_99

Bikes: Ibis Spanky, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Rice Military area.