Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

switched from seat bag to panniers and rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

switched from seat bag to panniers and rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 07:57 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
yeah I suppose if I toured in totally sketchy places that would be a concern. I have not run out of explorations of places where this is not much of a concern. I do not leave my bike unattended (much) anyway

There are basket specific bags that you can just take with you easily and shop with them for example WB Loader https://www.sim.works/collections/ra...42920403566846

Old 08-10-22, 08:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
yeah I suppose if I toured in totally sketchy places that would be a concern. I have not run out of explorations of places where this is not much of a concern. I do not leave my bike unattended (much) anyway
The places where I have had things go missing off the top of my load were not places I considered sketchy. One was a Walmart in a town just big enough o have a walmart. The bike was left in the lobby. My practice is often to roll the bike up and down the aisles in a case like that, but I thought the risk was low. Yet someone snagged the nice pump that was tucked under the straps holding the tent on the rear rack. I have never been challenged for wheeling the bikes up and down the aisles. I wonder if the open-ness of a basket would make being challenged more or less likely.

Another time was in a small town outside a store when someone stole a well worn pair of Crocs that were hung by a nice carabiner. I guess maybe they actually wanted the biner, but both were gone. It was a nice quiet town in the middle of nowhere (Dubois, WY population under 1000), so not a hot bed of crime. I'd guess that folks probably don't lock their homes or cars there.

So, yeah I don't tend to leave stuff unattened in sketchy places either, but having things out in plain sight and easy to grab might be too much temptation for some in an area that would otherwise be okay.

BTW, I've never considered touring with a basket, but there is something about it that appeals to me. Part of it may be nostalgia, but I can see practical advantages as well, That said, I have not worked out any numbers on weight and so on and I am kind of a stickler about that.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-10-22 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-10-22, 12:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
It has been months since the last time I saw a kitty litter pannier on this website. The basket photo above made me think of that.
Old 08-10-22, 12:52 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
It's the cat's meow :-)