Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Old 08-12-22, 01:23 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Yes, rim brakes weight less, are less fragile than disc and need less maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes.

But they have also drawbacks especially on small wheel bikes on which the wear of the rim is faster and on which rim become faster hot than on big wheels.

Rim brakes are also more affected by water/rain.

So the choice between rim or disc brakes on a small wheel bike isn't obvious, both have advantages and drawbacks.

Mechanical disc brakes like the TRP Spyre can be a good tradeoff, they aren't very expensive and weight less than many hydraulic disc brakes.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 08-12-22, 05:10 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
ha! I suggested bringing back the Swift on the thread "Looking for Feedback - Origami Lotus" comment #147.

Hopefully it was a good idea. I think that the Swift is a great design with tons of potential as a product. I've selfishly wanted there to be more of these in the world because I certainly wouldn't want to ever go Swift-less. Seeing more Swifts zooming around would make the world a slightly better place too imo. I'm thrilled that a comment I made on a BF thread instigated a new, modernized production run. It's pure magical for me, actually. Thanks Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing what you and the Origami team produce. The 58_11-40 gearing sounds totally fab. I hope that the development process has been enjoyable for you.

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
On the topic of 20" folders, would Origami ever consider adding a Swift to its menagerie of Gazelles, Wasps, Falcons, Bulls, and Eagles?

Since Xootr gave up the game there's been no mass production variant of this extremely excellent and time tested design. Doing away with the bulky hinge in the middle of the frame is its stroke of genius and it rides stiff, true and fast. The frame is also a bit lighter as a result.

I could totally imagine myself riding on a 4130 chromoly disc brake equipped Origami Swift. It'd be a worthy flagship machine. What would be the drawbacks?
[QUOTE=Pinigis;22605791]OK, I need a little help. I lost track and cannot remember who first suggested that Origami bring back the Swift. If it
Originally Posted by Pinigis
OK, I need a little help. I lost track and cannot remember whowas you, or if you know who it was, please let me know.
Old 08-12-22, 05:47 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
[QUOTE=joey buzzard;22607636]ha! I suggested bringing back the Swift on the thread "Looking for Feedback - Origami Lotus" comment #147.

Hopefully it was a good idea. I think that the Swift is a great design with tons of potential as a product. I've selfishly wanted there to be more of these in the world because I certainly wouldn't want to ever go Swift-less. Seeing more Swifts zooming around would make the world a slightly better place too imo. I'm thrilled that a comment I made on a BF thread instigated a new, modernized production run. It's pure magical for me, actually. Thanks Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing what you and the Origami team produce. The 58_11-40 gearing sounds totally fab. I hope that the development process has been enjoyable for you.

OK, I need a little help. I lost track and cannot remember who first suggested that Origami bring back the Swift. If it
excellent! Thank you. I would like to give you one from the first production run as a thank you. I will only ask that you pay shipping.

please email me at paul@origamibicycles.com do we can figure this out.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 08-12-22, 10:35 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
[QUOTE=Pinigis;22607651]
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
ha! I suggested bringing back the Swift on the thread "Looking for Feedback - Origami Lotus" comment #147.

excellent! Thank you. I would like to give you one from the first production run as a thank you. I will only ask that you pay shipping.

please email me at paul@origamibicycles.com do we can figure this out.

Thanks Paul, that's kind of you. Already e-mailed.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 08-12-22, 11:11 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
[QUOTE=joey buzzard;22607963]
Thanks Paul, that's kind of you. Already e-mailed.
REVIEW or it DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! Congrats!!! ENJOY!!!
Old 08-12-22, 10:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What size is the seat post?

Edit: Will frame sets be available and if so what all would be in them?

I kind of can't wait
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-13-22 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-13-22, 07:55 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
What size is the seat post?

Edit: Will frame sets be available and if so what all would be in them?

I kind of can't wait
Seat post is 33.9mm. I wasn't really thinking about selling frame sets, but it is an option.
Old 08-15-22, 04:02 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
We weighed all suggestions, and we still have the opportunity to make changes.

We haven't stopped working on the Lotus, but we have put it on hold until cashflow is stronger
You seem to have a one-man operation. Is that the royal "we?"
The issue is that you chose to make your own decisions, which is indeed your right since your money is at stake. But, you shouldn't give the impression that this is a community endeavour. Gives the impression that it is for free publicity?
Old 08-15-22, 04:08 AM
anga

I have no preference for type of brakes. Should provide options for disc & rim brakes. User can choose.
I do have a preference for IGH. Makes little sense to use a chain tensioner or ebb when multiple types of dropouts are available to accommodate derailleurs and IGHs. My preference is for modular adjustable dropouts, though expensive. Don't care between track, horizontal and semi-horizontal.

[QUOTE=Schwinnsta;22606994]
Originally Posted by anga
Same with dropouts. Semi-horizontal or adjustable dropouts could've accomodated IGHs. You didn't bother.
The case is the same with Lotus. You didn't implement any user suggestions.

I do not see any validity to this criticism. IGH can be used with vertical dropouts. Again, look to Brompton. News flash: chains can be adjusted by adding or subtracting links.
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Bike seller wants disc, consumer wants disc, bike designer wants rim brakes. It plays out as expected.

There are personal choices, some of which are based on aesthetics and prestige (your buddies may turn up their nose at rim brakes and think you a country pumpkin) and not on facts. But, as a matter of verifiable fact, rim brakes are generally lighter, easier to adjust and maintain and cheaper while offering only marginally less good braking on folders. It is idiocy to dismiss rim brakes as an anachronism and a conceit to tar their users as Luddites or bottom-feeders. Particularly on folders. Comments like these give you insight into the minds of these silly, arrogant folk.

In any case it need not be either|or. Rim brake mounts can be easily manufactured onto a bike along with disc brake mounts.
Originally Posted by Jipe
Yes, rim brakes weight less, are less fragile than disc and need less maintenance than hydraulic disc brakes.

But they have also drawbacks especially on small wheel bikes on which the wear of the rim is faster and on which rim become faster hot than on big wheels.

Rim brakes are also more affected by water/rain.

So the choice between rim or disc brakes on a small wheel bike isn't obvious, both have advantages and drawbacks.

Mechanical disc brakes like the TRP Spyre can be a good tradeoff, they aren't very expensive and weight less than many hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 08-15-22, 05:32 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
The issue is that you chose to make your own decisions, which is indeed your right since your money is at stake. But, you shouldn't give the impression that this is a community endeavour. Gives the impression that it is for free publicity?
I can't speak for him, but, I think he wanted suggestions for his own use so that he would not miss anything that he might incorporate in the design. An example, I suggested that he use sealed bearings in the headset so that the bike could more easily fit suitcases for travel. Whether he implements that is his decision. It is likely more costly.

I did not get the impression it was a community endeavor. I get the impression that the bike business is his second job or that he is not dependent on it. He seems to make bikes that he likes and that he hopes others will too. Anyway, Pinigis brings a lot of knowledge to this forum and shares it freely.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 08-15-22, 06:25 AM
anga

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I can't speak for him, but, I think he wanted suggestions for his own use so that he would not miss anything that he might incorporate in the design. An example, I suggested that he use sealed bearings in the headset so that the bike could more easily fit suitcases for travel. Whether he implements that is his decision. It is likely more costly.

I did not get the impression it was a community endeavor. I get the impression that the bike business is his second job or that he is not dependent on it. He seems to make bikes that he likes and that he hopes others will too. Anyway, Pinigis brings a lot of knowledge to this forum and shares it freely.
No need to speak for Pinigis, he is capable of speaking for himself.
Headset bearings are far easier to upgrade than dropouts and brake bosses!
Old 08-15-22, 07:30 AM
Pinigis 

Origami is a family company, and we only have one employee who is not a blood relative.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 08-15-22, 07:33 AM
Pinigis 

[QUOTE=anga;22610512]I have no preference for type of brakes. Should provide options for disc & rim brakes. User can choose.
I do have a preference for IGH. Makes little sense to use a chain tensioner or ebb when multiple types of dropouts are available to accommodate derailleurs and IGHs. My preference is for modular adjustable dropouts, though expensive. Don't care between track, horizontal and semi-horizontal.

The downside to providing bosses for vee brakes is purely aesthetic...they are ugly. Plus, they give the impression that the designer is indecisive. I will take a look at some modular adjustable dropouts (I am not familiar with these) and see if we can incorporate them.
Old 08-15-22, 10:34 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
You can do rim brakes with removable bosses, which are less ugly.

[QUOTE=Pinigis;22610651]
I have no preference for type of brakes. Should provide options for disc & rim brakes. User can choose.

The downside to providing bosses for vee brakes is purely aesthetic...they are ugly. Plus, they give the impression that the designer is indecisive. I will take a look at some modular adjustable dropouts (I am not familiar with these) and see if we can incorporate them.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 08-15-22, 11:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I also know it's not a democracy. I want thru axles, flat mount disk calipers, and SRAM UDH. You can just tell me not today bucko!

I think modular adjustable dropouts are going to be expensive. The reasonable price ones that someone in Taiwan might have on a shelf would be the Tange IRD that are found on Kona and Soma frames. They are copies of Paragon, I think? There are advantages and disadvantages - you can have a lot of modules, but also you kind of have to have a lot of modules. The disk mount doesn't need oblong holes since it's on the module. There are lots of proprietary ones like Salsa Alternators. I think Salsa are the only ones so far to do a flat mount version on their Stormchaser.

Surly trail bikes have dropouts that are not exactly modular but clever enough to permit through axle, QR, or single speed (the latter two require adding conversion washers on the axle). They are spaced 145 so you can jam in 142 or 148 hubs, but that might not be such a good idea for a 20" size aluminum triangle. Since they are not modular they have oblong holes for the brake caliper.
Old 08-15-22, 12:44 PM
daviddillard

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I like the modular dropout idea, but I'm sure it adds to the costs of production. Velo-Orange has them on their very popular Neutrino minivelo, and they look like budget versions of the Paragon Machine Works ones I have on another bike.

Bike Friday has a version of modular dropout on some of their frames that uses a pivot system secured by crank bolts. I've seen them on tikits, Silks and Silk New World Tourists of various sorts and vintages. They have different dropouts in stock to accommodate different hubs, derailleurs, IGH single or fixed. They work once they are dialed in.

The advantage with a steel frame is you can send it to your favorite framebuilder and get the things you dislike cut off and the things you want added on. For a price, or course. I'd probably be interested in a frame that I can customize and build up myself rather than a fully set up bike for this reason.

I would want canti mounts, modular dropouts, separatable drive side seatstay (for the eventual belt drive), fender/rack braze ons, and clearance for fat tires (2.3 or so).

David Dillard

Louisville

Last edited by daviddillard; 08-15-22 at 12:51 PM. Reason: additional info
Likes For daviddillard:
Old 08-15-22, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

The Neutrino ones look like they're also the Tange IRD.

I notice all the Tange-IRD ones are on steel bikes.

Ventana hardtails have dropouts that resemble the Salsa Alternators but aren't the same.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-15-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 03:12 AM
anga

[QUOTE=Pinigis;22610651]

On the contrary, when I come across a frame that accomodates multiple types of brakes and drivetrains, I am impressed that the designer provided options for a diverse group of customers.

I would like to have the option of switching between brake types and drivetrains.

Whichever modular system you choose, retain dimensional compatibility with Paragon. Go for stainless steel, no rusting or need for paint. PM or IS disc tabs are more useful than flat-mount.
Old 08-17-22, 08:53 AM
Paul Slayer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone that's always wanted a swift but hated the track drops and canti studs I'm really looking forward to this.

I'd prefer vertical drop outs and standard rack/fender mounts, basically the same as the other origami bikes. Maybe add a frameset with modular dropouts and a split stay since all that will add to the cost.
Old 08-17-22, 09:43 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Paul Slayer
As someone that's always wanted a swift but hated the track drops and canti studs I'm really looking forward to this.

I'd prefer vertical drop outs and standard rack/fender mounts, basically the same as the other origami bikes. Maybe add a frameset with modular dropouts and a split stay since all that will add to the cost.
We are not going to ass the split stay because (thanks to another forum member) we have an interesting possibility to those who don't want a chain.
Old 08-18-22, 01:54 AM
anga

We are not going to ass the split stay because (thanks to another forum member) we have an interesting possibility to those who don't want a chain.
At least one of Paragon's adjustable dropouts comes with a split in the dropout.
There is also Veer's split belt.
Likes For anga:
Old 08-29-22, 11:04 AM
donlab

Bikes: BF Llama,Birdy,Xootr,R20,Moulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a suggestion, look at MontagueBikes and check out the different models they have:
https://www.montaguebikes.com/produc...lti-use-bikes/

Having a Boston version of the Swift would be great.

Last edited by donlab; 08-29-22 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-29-22, 11:38 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by donlab
Here's a suggestion, look at MontagueBikes and check out the different models they have:
https://www.montaguebikes.com/produc...lti-use-bikes/

Having a Boston version of the Swift would be great.
I don't understand what makes it a Boston?
Old 08-29-22, 12:29 PM
donlab

Bikes: BF Llama,Birdy,Xootr,R20,Moulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand what makes it a Boston?
Single speed, lighter components. I don't know why they called it "Boston", maybe they like single-speed over there?
Old 08-29-22, 01:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

That's not exactly but kind of what I meant earlier in the thread about making a derailluer build and a BMX build. The net reach and stack would be about right though the rear center of the Swift is a lot longer.

That's also sort of why I was asking about the seat post. If it were one of the standard MTB sizes a dropper might be possible. That seems like something folders could use even if they're not using it like a MTBer

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-29-22 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.