Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

USB Charger Recommendation

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 06:21 PM
CVT

Bikes: Old school Specialized Stumpjumper, Vilano Blackjack, Burley Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I am looking for USB charger that can take 6 volts input ( 1 positive and 1 negative wire ) from my 6 volt power bank, I looked online and found most are taking 12 volt input.
Old 08-14-22, 01:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm seeing some DC-DC converters for 6-20 or 24v that are pretty cheap. It would be worth trying. You'd need to come up with some kind of enclosure.

https://www.amazon.com/KOOBOOK-DC-DC.../dp/B07SGWRQGX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323558027885

There is a Busch + Müller USB-Werk AC designed for generators. Is that AC current? But, they're pretty expensive.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/busc...er-usb-werk-ac
Old 08-14-22, 05:29 AM
CVT

I will go with the 6v - 24v and come up with an enclosure then.
THank you for the links, I don't understand why the ready to plug in electronics for bicycles are very expensive.
Old 08-14-22, 06:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by CVT
..., I don't understand why the ready to plug in electronics for bicycles are very expensive.
I used to think that way, I wanted a USB port that I could connect to a dynohub, and the ones I saw were all quite expensive, so I tried to make my own. That was when I learned that a dynohub on a bike can put out very high voltage at higher speeds, going down a hill at 25 mph I measured over 30v out of my dynohub, that was why my capacitors were blowing out.

That was when I learned why the ones for a bike are expensive. I gave up and bought off the shelf ones that were designed to handle the voltage you can get at a high speed descent if you have no load on the circuit.

I do not know if the USB chargers that you can put in a 12v lighter socket will work at only 6v from your battery, but if it does, those are only a few bucks at a dollar store.
Old 08-14-22, 07:17 AM
CVT

I have a dynamo hub that will be wired to a charge controlled that will charge 6 volts battery bank, I am not worried about the increase voltage from the dynamo because the charge controller will regulate that. 6 volts batteries are very common so I am surprised there is plenty of 12v USB chargers but not for the 6v unless you pay arm and leg for it.
Old 08-14-22, 08:53 AM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
We use some of the Voltaic power banks for solar driven Raspberry Pi stuff out in the yard. Nominal input is 5V/2A, but am pretty sure they'll handle more than that. Passthrough charging, always-on configurable, has over-charge protection built in. One of these has been in service in an enclosure out in the yard for 3+ years, through temps up to 116F and down to 10F. Pretty light. The Voltaic folks are quite responsive...if you present your use case, they can let you know if what they have woud work for you.

https://voltaicsystems.com/v25/

--Richard
Old 08-14-22, 01:54 PM
CVT

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
We use some of the Voltaic power banks for solar driven Raspberry Pi stuff out in the yard. Nominal input is 5V/2A
https://voltaicsystems.com/v25/

--Richard
They have really good solar kits, Thanks for the link.