Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Heavy backpack + rack. How?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 07:46 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm having some balance issues with my heavy backpack falling off the cheap "clamp-onto-the seatpost" type rack that I used to have. I tried more bungy cords and that didn't work. The backpack kept falling off during my bumpy, twisty, urban commute ride.

Anybody know how to deal with this? Is there a extremly strong rack or tie-down method that I can get that would allow me to basically tie the backpack to the rack, get to my destination, and quickly get the backpack off the bike? Maybe, I should get something other than my old setpost quickrelease rack.
Old 02-18-06, 07:54 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Using bungee cords to secure a backpack to a rear rack just plain doesn't work very well. If you want an actual backpack to carry around when you reach your destination, you might consider the Arkel Bug, although that might not work very well on a seatpost rack (it attaches to a rear rack like a pannier).
Old 02-18-06, 08:06 PM
littleal
littleal

Location: Pedalling past the rice paddies in the land of the not so morning calm!!!

Bikes: TREK 820,AB Tadpole,Novara Safari

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try getting a Topeak clamp on seatpost rack and integrated bag that slides on and off the rack.Mine slides on and clicks into place securely and it has a shoulder strap to carry the bag also.
Here is the rack https://www.topeak.com/products/rack_008.html
and here is the bag https://www.topeak.com/products/bag_019.html
I routinely use it to carry 30 lbs of books and I also do my weekly shopping at the
grocery store 7 miles from the house with it.The side pockets zip out and fold down
into 2 large panniers when needed. I think I payed about 70 bucks for both at the LBS.
Good luck
Old 02-18-06, 08:23 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the other posts. You aren't going to have an easy time making a generic backpack stick to a seat post rack. Upgrade your pack.
Old 02-18-06, 09:06 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a regular MTB rack and a square, elastic motorcycle web type
thing and have no problems securing my backpack to the rack.
Old 02-18-06, 09:27 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use zipties or hose clamps to secure some kind of ~12inch wide flat platform to your rack (i've used pieces of millk crate)

... you will have no worries about a bungee'd down backpack moving around.
Old 02-18-06, 11:12 PM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why don't you just carry it on your back? It can't be that heavy... isn't the max. weight limit of those clamp on racks around 20 lbs?
Old 02-19-06, 12:13 AM
MacG
don't pedal backwards...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How large is this backpack (when compressed by bungee cords)? It sounds like the pack is wider than the rack will securely hold without the pack "rolling" off sideways. If you made a slightly curved cradle out of something attached to the rack, you could widen this support and probably make it harder for the bag to slide sideways off of the rack. Copper tubing or some kind of heavy guage wire mesh might work. I'm envisioning making something that runs the length of the rack, is about 8-12 inches across, and curves upwards as if shaped to securely hold a bucket or drum.
Old 02-19-06, 01:28 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This backpack is quite a hefty thing when loaded down with all my gear. I don't know how big exactly, but imagine a 2-3 big books + some notebooks + sometimes a notebook PC. So, pretty heavy. Thanks to the other guy for the Arkel Bug bag suggestion. It's cool, but just got this nice and fancy Jansport backpack that even fits a notebook computer. So, I don't want to buy another bag. The Topeak rack looks nice. Are there any other really strong ones. Just wondering b/c my piece of crap seatpost one just isn't strong enough. I'd really like to see the motorcycle web bungy cord thing. That might do the trick.

So, if I get a new rack how do I mount a milkcrate or a bucket on it? Never seen anything like that, but sounds pretty strong. That would be awesome and I could just throw the backpack in the bucket. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-06, 02:32 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
I'd really like to see the motorcycle web bungy cord thing. That might do the trick.
Any auto / MC place has them....you can even get them in colors to match
your bike or backpack for added posuer factor

My pack weighs about 15lbs when Im done stuffing it with tools, clothes, lunch,
book, glasses, etc....Its never fallen off yet !
Old 02-19-06, 05:12 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have toured with a heavily packed 25l backpack bungied to a rack but it took 4 bungies and was not quick on/off.
Heavy looads need secure racks . If your bike can take a bolt-on rack use one of those.
The elasticated net looks good but I would suppliment it with a wide webbing strap.
Old 02-19-06, 09:10 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've attached a bright orange file crate ($10 from the local Business Depot) to my rack: not a standard Canadian milk crate as the milk crate is smaller and I'd guess 3 times heavier/stronger. I don't need the extra strength, it seems.

It's attached with rubber tie down straps, not bungee cords. I can take the crate off if I'm not commuting.

I have quite a big back pack (day pack) and it fits quite well, it didn't fit so well in a real milk crate (smaller). I use this crate combo instead of paniers on this particular bike: if I need to stop at a store on the way home and don't have enough room in my bag for watever I buy, it can go in the crate, the bag goes on my back. The crate also allows me to carry three locks at the bottom, under the bag. The bag inside of the crate is not tied down in any way: quick in and out for the bag plus quick access to all the pockets. If I need to loose a layer, the extra layer can temporarily go into the crate as well. I also carry a garbage bag to cover the crate contents in case of rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2445.jpg (60.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-19-06, 10:51 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Definitely ditch the seatpost rack.

I've been carrying my bookbag like this for the last two years. Just a regular rack bolted to the frame and two bungee cords holding the bags on (one along the length, the other along the width). The bags weigh in at 22lbs or so (depending on which classes I have). Takes only a few seconds to undo the bungees and I have not had it come loose or anything despite having run into a tree, ditched into a field, and hit numerous potholes. That milk crate looks pretty cool, though. I'll have to try that out.

Old 02-19-06, 01:25 PM
pmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in agreement with iBarna. Just carry it on your back. It's a back pack!! On the plus side your bike will handle alot better.
Old 02-19-06, 03:04 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My first choice would be to wear the backpack; second would be trade in the pack for a set of panniers -- that much weight is better carried down low. Some bikes are more finicky about that than others; my old Motobecane gets goofy with only a two-liter bottle of soda on the rack.
Old 02-19-06, 04:15 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I see carrying the backpack if it was a couple of miles. If the OP's commute is longer (mine is 16 miles), then carrying a backpack that heavy will not be a very good solution. I had to do it a couple of times and my shoulders were shot for days.
Old 02-19-06, 05:32 PM
ephemeron

Bikes: 2004 Marin Venezia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
I'd really like to see the motorcycle web bungy cord thing. That might do the trick.
I got mine from Nashbar -- Delta cargo net, $7.99. It's helped me carry all sorts of weird things around.
Old 02-19-06, 09:20 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakub.ner
I've attached a bright orange file crate ($10 from the local Business Depot) to my rack: not a standard Canadian milk crate as the milk crate is smaller and I'd guess 3 times heavier/stronger. I don't need the extra strength, it seems.

It's attached with rubber tie down straps, not bungee cords. I can take the crate off if I'm not commuting.

I have quite a big back pack (day pack) and it fits quite well, it didn't fit so well in a real milk crate (smaller). I use this crate combo instead of paniers on this particular bike: if I need to stop at a store on the way home and don't have enough room in my bag for watever I buy, it can go in the crate, the bag goes on my back. The crate also allows me to carry three locks at the bottom, under the bag. The bag inside of the crate is not tied down in any way: quick in and out for the bag plus quick access to all the pockets. If I need to loose a layer, the extra layer can temporarily go into the crate as well. I also carry a garbage bag to cover the crate contents in case of rain.
I've done this and it works. Attach it with heavy duty zip ties from Home Depot. When you don't want it anymore, cut 'em off. Get rid of the seatpost rack - it's just bike candy. If you're commuting with that much of a load, you need to up-tool.

Consider the good advice about panniers.
Old 02-19-06, 11:29 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a basket! (Wald is a good one) Bolt it to the top of your rack, toss in the backpack and tie it down with strip of an old tube. These things are cheap and unlike trunks or panniers, nobody is likely to steal it.

This rig is really popular with school kids in Europe. You can also toss your empty backback in the basket, ride to the supermarket and bring home a lot of stuff. Even more if you learn to ride with a pair of cloth shopping bags hanging off your handle bars
Old 02-20-06, 08:51 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep your nice pack, but get some panniers, too. They don't have to be expensive or fancy. Use them to distribute your gear, especially your books. Then carry the light stuff on your back.
Old 02-20-06, 09:35 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
This is why they sell quality racks that bolt to the frame and panniers. There are many kinds that don't cost a lot.
Old 02-20-06, 10:12 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, get a sturdy bolt-on rack, not the seatpost kind. Use bungee cords or that cool cargo net to hold the backpack onto the rack. Be sure to secure all the straps too, you don't want them getting caught in your wheel.
Old 02-20-06, 04:21 PM
Frankie Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget to try eliminating as much of what you are carrying now as you can. Even if you start by tossing out one thing at a time, I'll bet you can cut way back and still have what you need to get by on.
Old 02-20-06, 08:38 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I vote milkcrate- preferably one that you find. And attach it with 2- 8" long metal strips from any hardware store with bolts and wingnuts for easy removal. Then you can just toss in the backpack and off you go. Then if you pick up some groceries on the ride home you wear the back pack and put the groceries in the milkcrate- and mine fits two grocery bags side by side. and if you've got a fat butt like mine you may have to cut the milkcrate where it interferes with the gluteus maximus. Oh, yeah and get the beefiest, sturdiest rack you can get.
Attached Images
cratea.jpg (61.6 KB, 17 views)
crate1a.jpg (51.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by buzzman; 02-20-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 02:43 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In my post above, I mentioned I was going to try the milk crate. Well, I got a hold of one and zip-tied it to my rack. I'm lovin' it! You can just jam all your crap in there and take off!