Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Joined the cataract club!

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 12-08-22, 07:15 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts

Was supposed to get the eyes done in the Spring but developed detached retina and macular pucker. First repair done in May, and the pucker and further detachment fixed in August. Off the bike while I waited for gas bubble to vanish (9 weeks!) .

Had that first cataract surgery a couple of days ago. Vision is better but remaining fluid still affects it. They tell me fluid from the earlier problems may take a few more months to resolve. Hoping to do the second eye in January.

Meantime, I've been told I can get back on the bike this weekend. Did you do that? Or just take it easy for another week or so? With so many issues this year on that eye, I'm wary of messing something up! Did it take a few weeks for the vision to settle?

FWIW, the surgery was less than 30 minutes and painless.
Old 12-08-22, 09:22 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I had both eyes done in September, 14 days apart. I ride a recumbent trike and the doc agreed that it was no problem to ride within two or three days of the first operation. Just couldn't lift it because of the weight lifting prohibition (10 lbs). It took a couple of days for the drugs used in surgery to go away. It was the dilation that made it hard to see out of the eye until it wore off. I chose the $7K option for complete near and far correction. No glasses. That's something I haven't not had to use since I was in grade school. It was completely painless. The only downside is the halo that is evident around every bright point light source like a streetlight or headlight after dark. I'd still choose this option. Vision went from 20:40 to 20:20.
Old 12-09-22, 09:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
My doctor recommended two weeks off the bike, but since I had the second eye done a week later, that ended up being three weeks -- of some of the most wonderful riding weather of the year.

But the world is so much clearer now!
Old 12-09-22, 12:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I waited a week after each eye to ride. Doctor said the problem is heavy exertion and bumps that could pop the slit scar open. No problems.
I did have an issue with the steroid drops, gave me high eye pressure so I had to do another month of eye pressure reducing drops and get more frequent glaucoma checks... could be just me, but something to keep in mind.

I went with the "extended range" deluxe lenses too - kind of weird to not need glasses, I keep trying to take them off. Although my near vision went to crap so I have to wear readers for just about everything within arm's length now, and I bought a pocket magnifying glass to carry around with me ... another indication of geezerdom.
Old 12-16-22, 10:41 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Got back on the bike and have been slowly increasing miles and climbs. It's now 10 days since surgery.
Yesterday's follow up showed my fluid level dropped nicely, but will take 2-4 more months to resolve. I opted for the distance lens so now the difference between the 'fixed' eye and the other is pretty wide. Makes it harder to navigate the world. Can sorta use my glasses, but not really.

Waiting on the word from the office when I can get the 2nd eye done.