Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cardiac Arrhythmia

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Cardiac Arrhythmia

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 08:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hi, have your Doc check your Magnesium levels.
I got a call back from my GP today and will have a follow up Thursday to discuss the findings from my Holter monitor. I'm guessing that due to the lack of urgency that my GP is not overly worried or he is not worried enough. I suspect it may be the former and not the latter.

But going back to the magnesium, I have been taking 420mg daily for about a week. Within three days, I quit having dizziness. In the last two days I've had no chest pain. I have not been running the distances I was when I was experiencing problems, but I've been running at a faster pace and I ran this morning. This could all be psychosomatic, but I do feel better when running than I had previously. My ride Sunday however, while not particularly physically hard, was unenjoyable. In fact I have not been able to get into a ride since early August when I had COVID.

Old 10-19-22, 11:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I got a call back from my GP today and will have a follow up Thursday to discuss the findings from my Holter monitor. I'm guessing that due to the lack of urgency that my GP is not overly worried or he is not worried enough. I suspect it may be the former and not the latter.

But going back to the magnesium, I have been taking 420mg daily for about a week. Within three days, I quit having dizziness. In the last two days I've had no chest pain. I have not been running the distances I was when I was experiencing problems, but I've been running at a faster pace and I ran this morning. This could all be psychosomatic, but I do feel better when running than I had previously. My ride Sunday however, while not particularly physically hard, was unenjoyable. In fact I have not been able to get into a ride since early August when I had COVID.
Well, yeah. It never gets easier, you just go slower? How old are you? IME the only way to get fit on the bike as one ages is to have a well thought-out program and just stick to it. The occasional ride is usually a bummer. I think it takes at least 4 rides/week for quite a while. Start at an easy pace about every other day and gradually increase the pace over time. OTOH, if you'd rather run, do that. Different muscles, different range of motion. Also, Covid can be a factor. There seem to be more long Covid cases than are reported in the literature and they vary a lot in what's affected and how badly.

Cardiologists seem to be very busy, too. I have life or death thing and couldn't be seen for 2 weeks. How it is. I'm just being a little more careful. While I'm not looking forward to it, people die all the time.
Old 10-19-22, 07:12 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

My problem on the bike isn't that I'm overly stressed or can't physically do it. I just can't seem to enjoy it. I used to enjoy 40 mile or so rides, but Sunday morning I just wasn't motivated to do more than 10.

Old 10-20-22, 06:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My problem on the bike isn't that I'm overly stressed or can't physically do it. I just can't seem to enjoy it. I used to enjoy 40 mile or so rides, but Sunday morning I just wasn't motivated to do more than 10.
Maybe try a different activity until the desire to ride returns?

My son was very sick with 103-104F fever and then my wife got sick. No idea what they had nor did the Doc. I did not get sick but my morning heart rate variability was awful and when I went on the bike, I had no power or desire. It lasted about a week. Maybe Covid has a similar effect? Weak and no mojo? Alternatively, start with shorter rides than 10 miles. You have probably lost all of your fitness.
Old 10-20-22, 04:31 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Saw my GP to discuss the results of the Holter monitor today. There were things that made my GP refer me to a cardiologist so that will be my next stop apparently and he wants me to take baby aspirin daily.

Old 10-23-22, 04:40 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Saw my GP to discuss the results of the Holter monitor today. There were things that made my GP refer me to a cardiologist so that will be my next stop apparently and he wants me to take baby aspirin daily.
If it has anything to do with your rhythm of your heart, forget the cardiologist and go directly to electrophysiologist who has much more knowledge in this area.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 10-25-22, 07:50 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Book Review: Haywire Heart

April 5, 2017 By Larry Creswell, MD
Check out the recently published “The Haywire Heart” by Chris Case, John Mandrola, MD, and Lennard Zinn.
This is a book about electrical problems in the heart–the various arrhythmias. Case, Mandrola, and Zinn are in a unique position to bring this topic to life because each has dealt personally with some form of arrhythmia

Book Review: Haywire Heart
Likes For Speedskater:
Old 10-30-22, 02:06 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

my morning heart rate variability was awful .
One's early morning rest HR is meant to be variable. That is good, and indicatesa resilience to stress and the argy bargy of life. A precise HR in the morning imndicates a lack of resilience.
During exercise however, the situation is reversed. I just read that on Google when attemptinng to find out what VHR was . . . Cadiology is so fascinating!
Old 10-30-22, 02:18 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
A precise HR in the morning imndicates a lack of resilience.
Or a pacemaker.
Old 10-30-22, 03:44 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I had an enjoyable ride this morning for the first time since I had COVID in August. My rides have not been hard since COVID like my runs have. They have just been unenjoyable so I was happy to have a good time. I rode a 16 mile route I often ride and the climbs were not terrible. In fact Strava said that I'm trending faster. My run yesterday was a disaster though.

Old 10-31-22, 04:34 AM
peterws

Anybody on a low sugar diet, through necessity or choice? That can bring on AFib.
Old 10-31-22, 05:19 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by peterws
One's early morning rest HR is meant to be variable. That is good, and indicatesa resilience to stress and the argy bargy of life. A precise HR in the morning imndicates a lack of resilience.
During exercise however, the situation is reversed. I just read that on Google when attemptinng to find out what VHR was . . . Cadiology is so fascinating!
So, if my morning HR averages 50 bpm and HRV averages 65 and I wake up the next day and my HRV is 30, this is good?

As my original post indicated, both wife and son were sick. I did not get sick but HRV was terrible. My submax power was also terrible, in other words my HR was elevated at a modest power.

What I was trying to convey is that if your heart is talking to you......listen. See the right Doc(s)
Old 10-31-22, 06:12 AM
peterws

So, if my morning HR averages 50 bpm and HRV averages 65 and I wake up the next day and my HRV is 30, this is good?

As my original post indicated, both wife and son were sick. I did not get sick but HRV was terrible. My submax power was also terrible, in other words my HR was elevated at a modest power.

What I was trying to convey is that if your heart is talking to you......listen. See the right Doc(s)
Since I've done a little research into these things (my heart has been missing rather a lot o' beats lately which makes me wonder if they're necessary at all, since I feel good) that I'm fast becoming an expert on these matters.
I'm not quite there yet, and I don't know what a terrible HRV might be, but I'm pretty sure I have one.
But Google said that's good first thing in the morning (early afternoon; no need to be pedantic about this stuff) and you just know they can't be wrong.
Old 10-31-22, 06:30 AM
GhostRider62

Since I've done a little research into these things (my heart has been missing rather a lot o' beats lately which makes me wonder if they're necessary at all, since I feel good) that I'm fast becoming an expert on these matters.
I'm not quite there yet, and I don't know what a terrible HRV might be, but I'm pretty sure I have one.
But Google said that's good first thing in the morning (early afternoon; no need to be pedantic about this stuff) and you just know they can't be wrong.
Missing beats can be benign or a serious condition.

I miss beats. I get up slowly. Bandaids are so expensive nowadays and my wife gets mad when I fall on things.

The electrophysiologist said I was fine, told me it was stress listening to Mr. Google
Old 10-31-22, 07:02 AM
peterws

Missing beats can be benign or a serious condition.

I miss beats. I get up slowly. Bandaids are so expensive nowadays and my wife gets mad when I fall on things.

The electrophysiologist said I was fine, told me it was stress listening to Mr. Google
I guess there's a bit of adifference between missing a beat, and having the odd extended beats. There's certainly a difference in my ECG now I've started back on sugary stuff. Dark Choc Ginger biscuits and marzipan are indeed good for me at this moment.
But my ECG is far less interesting as a result.
Can't win 'em all!.
Old 11-01-22, 06:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10150 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Missed beats (heart block) needs to be evaluated, since there are two types, one of which is malignant.

There is no cutoff for HRV and it is not used by the clinical mainstream. However, you can look up age norms and if you're below the norm, that's not a good sign. Be aware that raw HRV parameters, such as rMSSD, are not normally distributed, so you need to use a log-normalized measure, like the readiness indices used by HRV apps and not all of them have great population data, especially for older age groups.
Old 11-01-22, 01:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

I quit using morning resting HR as a workout guide when I was 71. I hadn't been getting the daily variations according to stress level that I had been seeing when I was in my 60s, so I started using HRV instead. It's much more sensitive. I now have records of over 2000 consecutive readings. I use a phone app (Elite HRV) with a Polar strap. That combo tests as good as an ECG for that particular thing, HRV, which is really unknown among cardiologists and electro-physiologists. Works for me anyway. I pay little attention to any one reading, but rather to trends. Any one reading can just be nuts for no apparent reason.

High HRV = good. Low HRV = bad. That said, what an app displays as HRV varies with the app. My app shows balance between sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. I also watch my RMSSDs - I take both resting and standing HRV, both with my app and my Polar watch. They mostly agree. My app also gives me sympathetic and parasympathetic power, the strength of the electrical signals which operate your heart, which I also find valuable, not for training so much but for general health assessment. Probably TMI for most folks, but I'm a data junkie.
Old 11-01-22, 01:23 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I, but I'm a data junkie.
Bet your bike shed's got loads of old stuff in it . . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 11-01-22, 02:23 PM
GhostRider62

I started paying more attention several years ago because it seemed so many older riders were getting aFib and although the MDs say my 8 second pauses in HR while sleeping are not a big deal, it is a little scary and then when I broke 10 bones in a crash, the Docs said it would take at least a year for someone "my age" to recover. Thus, I felt watching trends in HRV made sense because my body was already working hard to heal.

I'm mostly interested in resting HR in order to do a linear interpolation to my lactate threshold HR and a certain percentage of that difference added to the resting HR is a good zone 2 effort and also a good HR to check submax power. I only do a hard interval session is all systems are a go.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-02-22, 10:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
After my thyroid failed and I had to take levothyroxine, my heart rate and heart rate variability were no longer useful metrics for monitoring my fitness, or estimating my exertion during a workout -- cycling or running. HRV was all over the map and had no correlation with how I felt or performed during a workout. My heart was constantly skipping beats and it felt like anxiety, even when I had no reason for anxiety. It was hard to sleep, with the erratic thumping and occasional lapses in heartbeat that sometimes lasted a few seconds. All of it seemed to correspond with my thyroid problems.

I had old prescriptions for beta blockers to help prevent migraines -- propranolol and metoprolol -- but disliked using them because they made me sluggish and drowsy. I never adapted to them even after taking them for several weeks. If I took one only on days when I felt a migraine coming, they took up to an hour or longer to begin working, and I still felt sluggish for a day or two afterward. So I quit using them.

But a few months ago I got a trial of carvedilol. Seems to work much better for me. It works much more quickly, within 30 minutes, and has no residual effect. I don't feel sluggish or drowsy so I can work out as usual. My primary care doctor wasn't enthusiastic about prescribing it for this "off label" use, but agreed to continue a trial using a fairly small dose, and check up on my later.

His concern was that my resting heart rate during my annual checkup was 60 bpm. That's pretty normal for most people who work out regularly, especially long term, long distance, long duration exercises like cycling and running. But my resting HR has never consistently been below 70 bpm, even when I was younger. If I drink coffee or take a sudafed for sinus congestion pain, my resting HR is around 80-90, and usually spikes to 130 bpm as soon as I start walking or bicycling at a leisurely effort. And the skipping and spikes in my pulse drive me nuts, even from a single cup of coffee or caffeinated beverage. I don't consume much caffeine from any source anymore, but it didn't matter.

But after I told him my resting HR was in the 60s only for approx 18-24 hours after taking a small dose of carvedilol, he seemed somewhat agreeable to continuing the trial.

So far I haven't check my maximum heart rate since taking carvedilol. Before taking it my max HR was 173, same as it's been the past three years when I tested it at least once a year. And I've set the audible alarm on my bike computer to sound at 160 bpm, mostly to remind me that after I hit 160 bpm I have about 30-60 seconds to continue at that level of exertion before I gas out. Important to keep in mind if I'm riding in a heavy traffic area where I need to reserve some energy for sprints to safely merge with traffic or change lanes.

Anyway, I've avoided maximum effort brief exertions or workouts while trying carvedilol. But I might gradually increase my efforts after a few more weeks to see how it goes. My average speed has decreased 1-2 mph on my usual 20-50 mile routes, but my maximum speed is still about the same on fairly brief efforts of 30 seconds to 5 minutes with my HR around 160 bpm.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-06-22 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 11:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2570 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
After reading through this thread, I would recommend reading, The Haywire Heart. How too much exercise can kill you and what you can do to protect your heart. I know that most of us, myself included, are not ultramarathoners, or doing ‘Raid’ events, but the book really does a deep dive into heart functions, conditions and treatments. You can do a sample reading on Amazon to see if it might interest you. One thing reading the book immediately made me stop was doing hellacious hill climbs at full power running my heart up to the max for sustained periods. That is a big no, no. No affiliation.

My AFIB has greatly decreased to the point of being nonexistent after I started taking a multivitamin for active seniors.

Old 11-05-22, 07:51 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Re: post-COVID and aFib, I had an event a few weeks ago and I may have ramped it up too fast in my COVID recovery .. I did 100 miles and then some heavy rock climbing then took a nap and got an aFib on my watch during the nap. This was about a week after I felt pretty much better for normal activity. Anyway the moral is if you get COVID I would go extra slow in building back up. Also hydrate really well, in retrospect I realize I was very dehydrated. Now I feel completely 100% and am back to getting PRs at a similar pre-COVID rate.

I've already done tons of work-up on my heart, Holter monitor, seeing electrophysiologist etc and nothing super major so far.
Old 11-05-22, 01:13 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Two yrs back I had some heart issues, first noticed that my resting HR was dropping into the 40's from a normal mid 50's. It was winter and I was riding on a trainer and doing HIIT type workouts 3-4 days a week on the bike and a few days on a rower. It got a bit perverse as I liked the pain and discipline it took when my lungs and chest were burning. Also liked that workouts were 30-40 minutes but intense with max hr intervals of 3 minutes or so. Then the missed beats started, later I came to understand that they were actually pvc's. Holter monitor showed almost 25% pvc's vs normal heartbeats, a very high amount. I saw a cardiologist and he scheduled me for a cardiac ablation, of course that was some 3-4 months later. When I went for my ablation I no longer had pvc's, in fact they tried to induce them with some adrenalin but still none. I'm completely over it. Saw my cardio last week and he said he's not seen anyone have no symptoms at all after having such drastic ones a year back. I'm convinced that my issues were caused by those HIIT type workouts. Cardiologist doesn't see a link, but I'm trusting my instincts. We're all different, but I'm thinking that my 69 yr old heart is not up for that level of intensity, at least not so frequently.
Happy ending is that I'm kind of relieved of the burdon of getting stronger every year, still ride hard and fairly far but starting to smell the roses a bit more.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 11-05-22, 05:45 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Two yrs back I had some heart issues, first noticed that my resting HR was dropping into the 40's from a normal mid 50's. It was winter and I was riding on a trainer and doing HIIT type workouts 3-4 days a week on the bike and a few days on a rower. It got a bit perverse as I liked the pain and discipline it took when my lungs and chest were burning. Also liked that workouts were 30-40 minutes but intense with max hr intervals of 3 minutes or so. Then the missed beats started, later I came to understand that they were actually pvc's. Holter monitor showed almost 25% pvc's vs normal heartbeats, a very high amount. I saw a cardiologist and he scheduled me for a cardiac ablation, of course that was some 3-4 months later. When I went for my ablation I no longer had pvc's, in fact they tried to induce them with some adrenalin but still none. I'm completely over it. Saw my cardio last week and he said he's not seen anyone have no symptoms at all after having such drastic ones a year back. I'm convinced that my issues were caused by those HIIT type workouts. Cardiologist doesn't see a link, but I'm trusting my instincts. We're all different, but I'm thinking that my 69 yr old heart is not up for that level of intensity, at least not so frequently.
Happy ending is that I'm kind of relieved of the burdon of getting stronger every year, still ride hard and fairly far but starting to smell the roses a bit more.
Interesting! I do the Les Mills courses and missed heartbeats are almost a regular feature now for me. Some of it is down to fluctuating temperatures day by day which affect me greatly until I get acclimatised. Now, Les Mills stipulates no more than 3 hiit classes per week. Some in my gym do that every day.
You get hot in the gym doing this, and I'm wondering if that's the main culprit in my case. But i felt good doing the Sprint today.
I'm due for a Holter in a couple of weeks.
Fun, isn't it? Not . . .

Last edited by peterws; 11-06-22 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-05-22, 07:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Now the thing that is causing my heart stress is the bills. My insurance company says that my Holter monitor test was not a medical necessity. I'm sure that I can get it straightened out, but it is frustrating nevertheless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.