Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are 32mm tires standard now on new bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are 32mm tires standard now on new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 11:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
32mm isn't standard for race bike. May-be for endurance bikes.

TCR - 28mm
Propel - 25mm
Tarmac SL7 - 26mm
Teammachine - 25mm
Soloist - 28mm
Ultimate - 25mm

Last edited by eduskator; 05-17-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 12:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I recently shopped all the racing bikes and not a single one of them came with 32mm tires although a few will fit them. I can get 30mm GP5000 TR/S onto the one I bought but they do puff out on 25mm internal width rims.

Here is real data: 25-26mm are standard on Pinarello F, Cannondale Super Six, Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Aeroroad, Canyon Ultimate, BMC TimeMachine. 28mm on Cervelo S5 and R5, Felt AR.....

So, No. 32mm is not standard.
Originally Posted by eduskator
32mm isn't standard for race bike. May-be for endurance bikes.

TCR - 28mm
Propel - 25mm
Tarmac SL7 - 26mm
Teammachine - 25mm
Soloist - 28mm
Ultimate - 25mm
The OP doesn’t specify “racing” bikes, and posted it in the “road cycling” section and not the 33.
Old 05-17-23, 01:30 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
You will likely notice a more comfortable ride and maybe a tad slower average speed, but you could always put 25's on if you wish... or 28's like you asked about already.

One thing I found interesting is, after growing up in the 23mm pumped to max pressure days, I can't shake the instinctual sensing of what I perceive as a flat tire when I run anything below 70psi.
Hehe, my observation is that I have always had trouble getting my tires up to that last 100+ psi. Now I know I can just say screw it and live with 80 psi.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 05-17-23, 01:49 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The OP doesn’t specify “racing” bikes, and posted it in the “road cycling” section and not the 33.
Ok, Canyon Endurace, Cervelo Caledonia and Cannondale Synapse comes with 30mm tires. Three commonplace endurance bikes.

32mm is not standard and in fact, it is very, very rare to see either a road bike or endurance bike sporting 32 mm stock
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-17-23, 03:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well of course you could. You could put a 25mm tire on if you want.
Not sure why you would want to though.

A quality fast rolling tire, like gp5k, will be great in 32mm.
The difference betweenttdl a 28mm and 32mm gp5k tire is 45grams and .6 of a watt in rolling resistance when run at proper psi for width.
That's simply nothing. Like no difference that anyone less than elite will actually notice.
But the difference in feel/comfort is real. Neither is bad, it's just preference, but you won't be slower on 32mm compared to 28mm.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...000-comparison
you’re leaving out the aero part of the equation. Admittedly, that’s going vary with the rim and frame, but ceterus peribus the wider tire is going to have more aerodynamic drag. How much, and how much it matters is debatable, but it is a factor to consider in the equation.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-17-23, 05:09 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
you’re leaving out the aero part of the equation. Admittedly, that’s going vary with the rim and frame, but ceterus peribus the wider tire is going to have more aerodynamic drag. How much, and how much it matters is debatable, but it is a factor to consider in the equation.
I saw a study which took into account all these factors, I wish I remembered where. The takeaway was if you have the right rim width for your tires and are on normal roads 28mm was optimal. My guess is pros are slowly moving to 28s due to this kind of data. That may be the stopping point of the size increase for the pros, there is no more juice to squeeze out of wider width due to the wind resistance.

For non-pros, 30-32mm is the natural leveling off due to the very small penalty. Or maybe we’ll all be on e-bikes with 4” tires soon. haha.
Old 05-17-23, 05:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
My 28mm tires with 52/56 psi are not under inflated. They're on 25mm internal width hookless rims that measure 31mm outside. The tires measure the same 31mm on these rims.
28 mm tires on 25 mm IW hookless rims!? I recently bought Roval Terra CL II, a 25 mm IW hooked wheelset which also specifies a minimum tire width of 28 mm. I know the old ETRTO standard is way too conservative, but the 3 mm difference between tire width and wheel IW seems so small. But maybe I am chicken (or just outweigh you significantly).

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's interesting that regardless of the stock tire size, many of the newer road bikes have clearance for 32 or larger. The Cervelo Soloist comes with 28 but advertises clearance for 34. The very popular Specialized Aethos comes with 28(?) but clearance for 32 and reports of room for larger. These are pure road bikes, not endurance or gravel or whatever. Disc brakes give the ability to design in more clearance and there doesn't seem to be a downside, since people can obviously use smaller sizes if they prefer.
Increasing tire clearance does have a downside: longer chain stays, and thus a longer wheelbase. But it is important for marketing to reference the big tire clearance number to imply a greater capability for everyone to follow the "all road" trend. It is somewhat analogous to how so many 11 speed bikes now come with the biggest range (11-34) cassette.
Old 05-17-23, 05:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Hehe, my observation is that I have always had trouble getting my tires up to that last 100+ psi. Now I know I can just say screw it and live with 80 psi.
Wow! I was pumping my track tubulars to 140 or 150, which amused me because I weighed 125 at the time. I really had no need to run that high of pressure on the aging concrete velodromes back then.
Old 05-17-23, 05:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I am not sure that my floor pump is accurate enough for me to participate meaningfully in any discussions which reference specific tire pressures.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-17-23, 05:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,907 Posts
30 or 32 for those of us not willing to close the donut box & want a supple ride with a road bicycle. This spare tire I call a gut may not address a flat, but it'll conceal the treats with the flab!
Old 05-17-23, 05:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am not sure that my floor pump is accurate enough for me to participate meaningfully in any discussions which reference specific tire pressures.
your pump doesn't have a little icon on the gauge resembling a rock? Gotta pump them tires up so high that they get hard enough to cut thru the glass!
Old 05-17-23, 06:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Ok, Canyon Endurace, Cervelo Caledonia and Cannondale Synapse comes with 30mm tires. Three commonplace endurance bikes.

32mm is not standard and in fact, it is very, very rare to see either a road bike or endurance bike sporting 32 mm stock
Trek Domane and Giant Defy both come stock on 32 mm these days. Other endurance bikes are 30 mm and pretty much any new road frame has clearance for at least 32 mm.
Old 05-17-23, 09:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I left out the aero part because I don't know it. You also don't know it. We don't know the rim profile either.
It's an unknown variable and so I didn't address it because it isn't a factor in my post. My post focused on known factors- weight and rolling resistance.
Old 05-17-23, 09:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Increasing tire clearance does have a downside: longer chain stays, and thus a longer wheelbase. But it is important for marketing to reference the big tire clearance number to imply a greater capability for everyone to follow the "all road" trend. It is somewhat analogous to how so many 11 speed bikes now come with the biggest range (11-34) cassette.
A Domane chainstay is 420mm and a size 54 wheelbase is 1010mm long.
A Cannondale Super6evo chainstay is 408mm and a size 54 wheelbase is 1008mm long.
Why is a 420mm chainstay a downside? And the Domane wheelbase is basically the same as a full on race bike of the same size.

I'm also unsure why an 11-34 cassette is bad to spec on general road bikes. For years(decades), road bike were geared far too high for average users and even many enthusiasts. The last 6 years has pushed the needle towards more realistic and useful stock drivetrains. Why is that bad?
If you want an 11-28 or 11-25 cassette, just buy it. It's far simpler and cheaper to add a smaller cassette to a stock drivetrain with a GS RD and long chain that it is to add a larger cassette to a drivetrain with a short cage RD and short chain.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-18-23, 12:24 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I'm sure my thumb can find the 72.6 psi that the online calculator recommends.
Old 05-18-23, 01:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 368 Posts
I left out the aero part because I don't know it. You also don't know it. We don't know the rim profile either.
It's an unknown variable and so I didn't address it because it isn't a factor in my post. My post focused on known factors- weight and rolling resistance.

The point of your post certainly appeared to be there is no speed penalty to going to 32. To make that claim you have to consider all the factors, weight rolling resistance, and aerodynamic resistance, which becomes a bigger part of the equation the faster you go.

As I acknowledged in my post, the exact effect on aero is going to be affected by the rim design and the fork and frame. However, to say that you don’t know the precise effect, due to those confounders in no way means it’s not a real factor in the equation.

and it is an ascertainable number. The makers of deep sectioned wheels can give you the data for their rims, and which tire size is optimal for those rims based on their own wind tunnel data.

used to be Zipps were built to be optimal with 23mm tires. Newer wider rims today tend to be designed for 28mm. I’ve yet to hear of a deep sectioned rim optimized for 32mm tires, although it could be coming.

So the aero penalty is not only the shear frontal area of the tire, it’s that the interface of the rim and tire is not optimal for wind resistance.

All that said the aero effect may not matter to many, and may be trumped by other factors such as comfort for some, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a factor.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-18-23, 04:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Or, maybe post 13 is the answer.
Or maybe roads are getting worse, at least some roads in some areas, and people riding them have different needs from you.

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 05-18-23 at 04:49 AM.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-18-23, 04:48 AM
PeteHski

All that said the aero effect may not matter to many, and may be trumped by other factors such as comfort for some, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a factor.
The difference in aero hardly matters to pro racers, never mind an average club racer or recreational rider. A lot of teams were racing on 30 and 32 mm tyres at Paris Roubaix this year. While you can say that’s only because of the cobbles, there is still 200 km of 50 kph road to cover. If there was a significant loss of speed on those wider tyres, they wouldn’t be racing them. Simple as that.

Back in the real world the pros of wider tyres greatly outweigh the cons for almost any rider on mixed quality roads, especially on longer rides when fatigue from vibration becomes a significant factor.

The only reason to run 25 mm tyres is if your frame can’t fit anything wider or your roads are super smooth and you want to save a few Watts at most IF your rims are optimised for narrower tyres.

I’m happy using 30 mm tyres on my endurance race bike, whatever the road quality. I don’t feel I’m losing out significantly in speed, but I certainly appreciate the ride quality on a long hard ride. It might look more “pro” to run a 25 mm front and 28 mm rear, but it’s not going to give me any meaningful advantage.

One other advantage of wider tyres and rims is when using sealant in a tubeless setup. The much lower pressure gives a better chance of the sealant coping with a puncture. 60 psi is a lot easier to seal than 100 psi and you lose a lot less pressure if it leaks for a second or two before sealing. I usually just see a few spatters of sealant on the seat tube with barely any loss in pressure. I only notice there was a puncture when I check my bike at the end.
Old 05-18-23, 04:51 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Trek Domane and Giant Defy both come stock on 32 mm these days. Other endurance bikes are 30 mm and pretty much any new road frame has clearance for at least 32 mm.
All well and good but a few exceptions is not the same as saying 32mm is standard. For those who think a 32mm tire has equal aerodynamics to a 25mm tire, I have a bridge to sell you. Or, may I ask have you measured? Or are you just regurgitating Jan Heine's dogma.
Old 05-18-23, 06:34 AM
PeteHski

All well and good but a few exceptions is not the same as saying 32mm is standard. For those who think a 32mm tire has equal aerodynamics to a 25mm tire, I have a bridge to sell you. Or, may I ask have you measured? Or are you just regurgitating Jan Heine's dogma.
The OP was referring to Trek and Giant endurance bikes, which both come with 32 mm tyres. These are hardly very, very rare bikes as you stated.

Not sure anyone said it was a standard thing across the entire industry, but 30-32 mm certainly is standard for endurance road bikes in 2023.

When I bought my Defy in 2019 they were on 28 mm and had narrower 17 mm rims. I think they made the change to 32 mm and wider rims in 2020 or 2021. My 2022 Endurace came with 30 mm tyres on 22 mm rims and I find that combination a significant improvement in ride quality.

I believe my rims are optimised around 28 mm tyres and any slight loss of aero over a 25 mm tyre optimised on narrower rims is of no concern. I look at the overall pros and cons rather than focusing on a single factor, especially when that factor is very marginal. For me the benefits of extra tyre width and volume is worth a lot more than a few aero Watts.
Old 05-18-23, 07:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Or maybe roads are getting worse, at least some roads in some areas, and people riding them have different needs from you.
I'm lucky I guess. I have enough bikes/wheelsets that I had the same brand of tire from 23's to 32s on different wheelsets. I could swap them out on the same bike, use different pressures, side by side. For me, there's not much of a difference. Maybe some between the 23s and 32s. The 32s feel sluggish. I also realize that at 5'8' and 200lbish, a typical frame is going to ride less stiff to me than to the typical 5'8" 120-160lbish rider. Heck, the tire size might not even matter that much to me on gravel, if I rode gravel. Come to think of it, I did have to cut though a section of gravel one time on a route I was riding. I was on the 32s at full pressure. Plush enough. I usually buy the cheapest size within a particular brand.
Old 05-18-23, 10:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

A Domane chainstay is 420mm and a size 54 wheelbase is 1010mm long.
A Cannondale Super6evo chainstay is 408mm and a size 54 wheelbase is 1008mm long.
Why is a 420mm chainstay a downside? And the Domane wheelbase is basically the same as a full on race bike of the same size.
A shorter wheelbase handles slightly better? A Trek Emonda in size 54 has a 981 mm wheelbase. Even my old Cannondale Synapse (not a race bike) in size 54 has a 990 mm wheelbase.

I'm also unsure why an 11-34 cassette is bad to spec on general road bikes. For years(decades), road bike were geared far too high for average users and even many enthusiasts. The last 6 years has pushed the needle towards more realistic and useful stock drivetrains. Why is that bad?
An 11-speed 11-34 cassette has 2T gaps on the small end in exchange for more cogs on the big end. This is good for steep hills and gravel riding but not so ideal for riding along at a just right cadence.
Old 05-18-23, 10:34 AM
GhostRider62

Roubaix comes in 28 mm tires.
Old 05-18-23, 10:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A shorter wheelbase handles slightly better? A Trek Emonda in size 54 has a 981 mm wheelbase. Even my old Cannondale Synapse (not a race bike) in size 54 has a 990 mm wheelbase.

An 11-speed 11-34 cassette has 2T gaps on the small end in exchange for more cogs on the big end. This is good for steep hills and gravel riding but not so ideal for riding along at a just right cadence.
The wonderful thing about bikes and components is there is no shortage to allow each of us the opportunity to make our bikes perfect for what we want or how we ride.
With that said, bikes have to come stocked with something, so it makes more sense to stock endurance bikes with wider range gearing since as already mentioned, it is easier and cheaper to make gearing tighter with a smaller range cassette than it is to make gearing wider with a larger cassette, new chain, and new rear derailleur.
If you dont want or need a 34-34 bailout option on an endurance road bike, cool- just change the cassette. I dont need that gearing option and therefore I have 11-28 cassettes. Frankly, I dont need an 11-28 either, but the jumps are small enough that I dont care to change anything out.
But while I dont need an 11-34 cassette, I recognize that others may benefit from one. And I also recognize that its easier and cheaper for those who want a smaller cassette to make that change than it is for those who want a wider cassette to make that change.

As for the Emonda having a tighter wheelbase than the Domane, well yeah that makes sense due to it being designed for a different style of riding. I cited a race bike too, and it happened to have a wheelbase that really isnt noticably shorter than the Domane. This was done because you brought up how longer chainstays and wheelbases are a downside. If we were talking 480mm chainstays, sure I would agree. But 420mm? Come on now- you really think you can tell the handling difference between a bike with 410mm and a bike with 420mm chainstays if they both have the same tires and setup? And even if you could tell the difference, would that difference be a downside? Are you going to not turn a corner on the 420mm stays that you could turn on 410mm stays? This is road biking we are talking about- its like the least technical type of riding there is.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-18-23, 11:13 AM
PeteHski

Roubaix comes in 28 mm tires.
It's about the only mainstream endurance bike that still does and the frame clearance is relatively tight for a modern endurance bike. With wider tyres, the need for a front shock is also becoming more questionable. I would put money on it that the next gen Roubaix is on 30 or 32 mm tyres and possibly ditches the Future-shock, which has always been divisive.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.