Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bar tape with Campy shifters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-04-23, 06:57 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

I just wrestled for way too long wrapping just one side of my bars. I have Campy Veloce shifters and for whatever reason it took a long time to get it to cover properly. Seemed to always have a little triangle where I could see the bars through. I kinda think maybe it has something to do with the thumb shifter, but I can't put my finger on it. Even now I have it done, but feels like just good enough. I have had no similar issues wrapping bars with Shimano or Microshift shifters. Are Campy difficult, or was it just me? I was using Calvin Jones preferred method.
Old 06-05-23, 05:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
I have 3 Campagnolo equipped drop-bar bikes and have not noticed any peculiarities in wrapping them. That would be a weird situation for Campy to be in, seeing as how they are *the* classic road group brand.

Maybe you were using a new brand of tape which behaved differently to what you were used to?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-05-23, 05:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Seemed to always have a little triangle where I could see the bars through. I was using Calvin Jones preferred method.
I think Calvin does the wrap using an extra piece of cut tape -- so even with that you'd get the bars peeking through?
Old 06-05-23, 05:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Always coverage band clamp with a short piece of tape. The trick is to have the turn at the base of the shifter body located so the upper edge just overlaps the body. Then it goes up over the top and around the other side of the clamp. Really no different than what other shifters require. NO figure eight wrapping.
Old 06-05-23, 06:59 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Always coverage band clamp with a short piece of tape. The trick is to have the turn at the base of the shifter body located so the upper edge just overlaps the body. Then it goes up over the top and around the other side of the clamp. Really no different than what other shifters require. NO figure eight wrapping.
ok, I better go back and watch the video a few more times. I was using the short piece over clamp.
Old 06-09-23, 05:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
I have a few bikes with Ergopower levers. I was using a softish tape like Cinelli (yes, I'm a little older), but lately have changed to Jantex and Newbaum's cotton twill. Both require unifirm careful overlapping. I sometimes use figure -8 to get past the levers. If you overlap by too much (ie 50% versus 25%) you'll use up the roll of tape without finishing. It is hard to eliminate all tape gaps going around the levers. If you want to use two short pieces behind each lever to try to cover more gaps, that's not wrong, even if perhaps Calvin doesn't tell you to do that.

Overall, if the tape has a narrow gum strip on the back, control the overlaps to place the gum strip in contact with the bar, at least where it's not highly curved. This should help keep it from slipping as you ride. There is some skill involved here - it's not all technique you can get from a video. After you watch the video a few times, you still have to practice to train you hands and learn how much you can tension the tape while, for example, keeping the bars from flailing back and forth.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-10-23 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-21-23, 12:02 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
It's a fact that Campy Ergo levers are harder to get tape to cover vs. Shimano and SRAM. You not only have to use the short strip over the clamp, but also angle it correctly to get both sides of the clamp covered without spaces.
I've used Cinelli Gel Cork (with light adhesive strip) for years. Switched to some Zipp synthetic tape, just to try it. Very grippy and durable - but it didn't come with an extra strip, so I gave up and just left a triangle!

Another tip - I use flat black Testors model paint on the edges of the bar clamps, to make them harder to spot.

Last edited by AndyK; 06-21-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-23, 06:44 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
With the exception of my new Helix with Rival AXS, just about every build I've done for the last 10 years have been with Campy 11, 11 EPS and H11. I never had to use those short strips over the clamps but there are some bar tapes that can make it a bit difficult.
Old 06-22-23, 08:46 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
In my experience you don't need to use the extra strip around the clamp but that Campy shifters are a slightly harder job than shimano or sram and if you don't get it right the hood will rub against the thumb shifter slowing its return. Still isn't really difficult though, just taking the time to get it right. Part of what I've done is let the tape, when doing the cross pattern, slightly overlap the hood at the bottom and then used a small flat screw driver to push the bit of tape into the space with the tab in the hood that helps hold it in place at the bottom. It helps to wedge that tab into the space better, and keeps the hood out of the thump shifter mechanism. Whenever I've noticed slow shifting on a campy shifter it was that tab not being in its spot in the shifter body allowing the rubber to slide on the tape and body into the thumb mechanism.