Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-07-10, 06:35 PM
Darryn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I am fairly new to mountain bikes, so I have a few questions. Currently, I'm looking for a new mountain bike (right now I have a Raleigh M80 from 2006), most likely a hardtail. I am looking at the 2009 Specialized Rockhopper (just the regular, standard model). Is this a good choice? What are the pros and cons to this bike? Any help and suggestions you can give will be greatly appreciated. Also, what about the Specialized Stumpjumper? Right now, I want to stay away from the Hard Rock. I am leaning towards the Specialized brand, but if you guys have any other reccommendations, that's cool too. Thank you.
Some things to note: I will be using my bike mainly for inner-city commuting, but would like something that I can take to the mountains and still have a highly dependable, nice ride. The bike I get needs to be about a 15" frame because I am a fairly small person. And, as light in weight as possible while still staying in the $950.00 or less range.
Old 10-07-10, 11:15 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
i don't think there is a stumpjumper in that price range, unless you can find one used.
Old 10-08-10, 05:03 AM
Cobwebb67

Bikes: 07 Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Darth_Firebolt. I am a Specialized fan as well, lately I have found a Trek 6500 that has interested me which you could get around $900. Whatever bike you choose it must feel good to you.
Old 10-08-10, 07:20 PM
torotech

Bikes: Specialized Stump Jumper (Stumpy), Scott Solace (Scotty), and 10 more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a Jamis Coda hybrid. They have steel frames, light wieght and well within your price range. The steel frame soaks up the bumps pretty well and will even do well on fire trails, dirt roads, and non-technical single track. My friend has one as a Wash DC commuter bike and loves it.