Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tried Intervals Today for 1st Time, almost puked

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tried Intervals Today for 1st Time, almost puked

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 09:06 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
Oh man. There it is. Ding ding.

I've been trying harder to get outta the saddle and heave a bit and break 50kph on flat then sustain the high 40s. Man, suffering is the word. Kill my liver, kill my calves. Kill it all to gain. I'm entering that phase where I become a cyclist I guess and I see/feel the suffering that you mention of. OOF.
Old 07-04-10, 09:17 PM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Interval training doesn't just mean maximal all-out, puking efforts. It really means training your body to work at different power and heart-rate zones to develop your overall fitness.

For example, the most effective intervals are probably "sweet spot" zone training intervals which are somewhat below lactate threshold (and won't cause you to puke or to suffer to an extreme degree).

If someone is really interested in developing a complete training program, you really need to first learn how to establish your training zones and then how to set up an interval program based on these zones. If you just go out and do a few all-out efforts on occassion, you won't receive the maximal benefit (and you probably won't enjoy it very much).

A good place to start to learn some of this would be to spend $17 and study this book. https://www.amazon.com/Training-Racin...8295531&sr=8-1 Even if you never buy a powermeter and only use a cheap heartrate monitor, this book will teach you how to set up a very effective (and enjoyable) training regimen.
The referred to book is excellent and has a lot of training advice. However, hard intervals are hard intervals. Sub threshold training is also valuable and this should be a part of the total training package. Nevertheless, this doesn't negate the need for hard - until you almost puke - type of workouts, especially the short-duration type. I was dying today with my 1 min. intervals. Yet, I also feel like dying with my 20 min. intervals too. I don't do these type of workouts every day. Some days are very easy - recovery. A lot of days are type 3-4. Still, there is a place and time for painful and suffering intervals. Your body will adapt.
Old 07-04-10, 09:30 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorites are anerobic intervals where I will bring it up to top speed sitting down, then stand and sprint, hold it the speed for 10 seconds, stand up and sprint to get at least 1 mph more, do it again, and then hold that speed for the next minute. Hurts like hell, but that's the kind of **** you see in racing.
Old 07-04-10, 09:36 PM
cmsuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
There are all different sorts of intervals to target different goals.
Short intervals for sprinting. Longer intervals for more endurance.
My favorite is a pyramid interval.
1X1
2X2
3X3
4X4
5X5
4X4
3X3
2X2
1X1
+1
Old 07-04-10, 09:36 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathwheels
IMHO Doesn't sound like asthma. Asthma would feel more like you couldn't take in enough air and you would most likely wheeze as you air ways tightened up.
Not necessarily. Asthma can be a cough without wheezing. I went undiagnosed for a long time because it was "only a cough".
Old 07-04-10, 09:38 PM
wacomme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1X1
2X2
3X3
4X4
5X5
4X4
3X3
2X2
1X1
I need to try these intervals. Looks painful.
Old 07-04-10, 09:40 PM
wacomme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
Not necessarily. Asthma can be a cough without wheezing. I went undiagnosed for a long time because it was "only a cough".
I'm not a doctor, but I wouldn't be too worried about the cough just yet. I used to cough a lot after my first few sets of hard intervals. Now it's no longer an issue.
Old 07-04-10, 09:43 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not even reading your post, just the title. If you almost puked, you're doing it right.
Old 07-04-10, 10:00 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do three weeks of LT intervals (20 min x 3) a couple times a week, which'll improve your cruising speed....this is assuming you already have a decent amount of base fitness to work with. Then a "Rest week", and then three weeks of the shorter/harder intervals another couple days per week, and you should be pleased with the results, provided you train smart the other days. Getting to that point sucks, but you'll be strong.
Old 07-04-10, 10:00 PM
Sapience

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
1X1
2X2
3X3
4X4
5X5
4X4
3X3
2X2
1X1
Let me see if I got this right;

You start off with one 1 minute interval, then two 2 minute intervals, etc? All in the same ride, correct? 5 minute rest between each interval or what
Old 07-04-10, 10:23 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. The notation I use is ONXOFF. So 4X4 is 4 on 4 off.
Thus, it is one min on one min off, two min on two min off, etc up to 5 on 5 off, and then you decrease. It takes an hour and leaves you completely drained. I try to finish them in front of my house otherwise it will take me forever to get home.
Old 07-05-10, 02:15 AM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thus, it is one min on one min off, two min on two min off, etc up to 5 on 5 off, and then you decrease. It takes an hour and leaves you completely drained. I try to finish them in front of my house otherwise it will take me forever to get home.
I did not think about where i would end up at the end of my set, so i ended up 17 miles from home. Had to fight the wind all the way back. I like the looks of other riders when i flash by them only to back off for a bit then rev up again. They must think i am nuts. Now i have a 5 mile out and back trail set up for intervals.
Old 07-05-10, 03:08 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
1X1
2X2
3X3
4X4
5X5
4X4
3X3
2X2
1X1
Does 1X1 mean one minute work and one minute rest? And so on?

Edit: Sorry, saw the explanation on the second page only
Old 07-05-10, 04:23 AM
sabazel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so another interval question. When i do mine, I use a loop by my house which is about 2.2 miles overall. I'll sprint up one side (about 1.3 miles, all slightly uphill) and recover on the other(about .9, all slightly downhill). I do 4 laps warm up + riding over, then 5 interval laps of sprinting, then 5 laps pushing in the biggest gear, then one lap recovery, then home. It's about 30 miles. Is this too much mileage for intervals? Or since I'm mixing up sprint/anaerobic with "weight lifting" intervals, am I still ok?
Old 07-05-10, 07:50 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No cool down?

FWIW, I've never puked from cycling intervals - yet. I have done it back in my powerlifting days, though. Nothing like being halfway home from the gym and having to pull the car over, open the door, and puke in the street.
Old 07-05-10, 07:50 AM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wacomme
I'm not a doctor, but I wouldn't be too worried about the cough just yet. I used to cough a lot after my first few sets of hard intervals. Now it's no longer an issue.
True enough. I just had to correct the statement that it's not asthma if it's only a cough.
Old 07-05-10, 08:11 AM
wacomme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
I did not think about where i would end up at the end of my set, so i ended up 17 miles from home. Had to fight the wind all the way back. I like the looks of other riders when i flash by them only to back off for a bit then rev up again. They must think i am nuts. Now i have a 5 mile out and back trail set up for intervals.
I'm always seeking good locations for intervals - relatively flat, empty roads, no stop signs or lights. At the end of the interval set you should be completely drained, riding easy to cool down. The 'puking" aspect might be stretching the truth a little. While I have felt like puking (watch what you eat before intervals) at times, it's usually my breathing and legs that are hurting. At times I've ridden where I simply can't pedal one more stroke so I have to get off my bike - can't stand - and must sit. This is too much. I should have enough strength for level 1 or 2 riding between and after sets.

I train with a power meter. This has been a godsend. Amongst its many other benefits, the power meter tells me when my interval sets are over and I need to stop. With power, I tend to work harder than I used to without power, but I also know when I've had enough.

I now need to go riding. Level 3 distance today.
Old 07-05-10, 09:12 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
No cool down?

FWIW, I've never puked from cycling intervals - yet. I have done it back in my powerlifting days, though. Nothing like being halfway home from the gym and having to pull the car over, open the door, and puke in the street.
A 1 min cool down straight into a shower and hopefully a heart attack.

In my mind it is a given that there is a warm up and cool down. Finishing near my house would more accurately refer to finishing after the cool down not the last rep.
Old 07-05-10, 08:45 PM
grasscutter
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
My favorites are anerobic intervals where I will bring it up to top speed sitting down, then stand and sprint, hold it the speed for 10 seconds, stand up and sprint to get at least 1 mph more, do it again, and then hold that speed for the next minute. Hurts like hell, but that's the kind of **** you see in racing.
+1
Old 07-06-10, 05:34 PM
pearcem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ones I do are FPT intervals. 3-5 minutes just above your FPT, then twice that long off. Repeat 6-8 times. Then Die.

Oh, and btw, if you are almost puking afterward, good job, you're doing them right!