Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb bags

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ortlieb bags

Old 11-12-11, 08:46 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ortlieb bags

After looking at Amazon, I think I will be able to go with the Ortlieb paniers.

There are so many different kinds.

What type do you have and why do you like it and would you make the purchase again if you had the chance?

and I should ask how do they attach to the rack? I have a bontrager rack that connects to the seat and calls for the bags to be snapped in instead of strapped in.

Last edited by chefisaac; 11-12-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-12-11, 09:22 AM
MijnWraak
Noobie of the year :)

Bikes: 1980's Miyata Seven Ten

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Vario, which is a pannier that transforms into a backpack. I wouldn't buy it again for a few reasons. I never use it as a backpack. Ever. When I did, it was awkward because it was primarily a pannier, and the part that attached to turn it into a backpack made it stick too far from my back and would lean backwards. I only use it for binders/books/papers and for that its pretty good because it's waterproof and mostly square, but I didn't need as much height as it gives you.

However I do like the QL2 system, which is just two hooks on the back of the pannier attached to a strap that when you pull up on to pick it up, detaches the hooks from the top tube of your rack.
Old 11-12-11, 09:25 AM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to youtube to find Ortlieb's animations that show how they attach to racks. They come with adaptors to fit most racks.

I've got a pair of classic back rollers on my wet weather commuter. Basic bags with roll top closure that are versatile.

On my regular commuter I have a classic large Office bag with roll top closure on one side and a Shopper on the other. The Office bag is a semi rigid briefcase that I like for carry work stuff, and the shopper is like a giant ziplock that I use for overflow clothes and shopping.
All my bags use the QL2 system that I really like and is easy to set up.
Old 11-12-11, 10:38 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are they all truely waterproof?

Would I get the same results by using a garbage bag inside panniers that are not water proof?

Why did you buy ortliebs?
Old 11-12-11, 11:40 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Ortlieb make quality stuff. I have a pair of roll top panniers, sorry the actual name escapes me, that I use on commutes (single) and grocery/touring (pair). I also have an Office bag that I used when my previous job provided a laptop. The Office bag is actually a nice commute bag if you have a laptop and want to carry a change of clothes or lunch. The nice thing about the Office bag is that the mounting brackets are angled so that heel strike is minimized. Both are constructed of waterproof durable material, kinda like river rafting h2o proof bags.
Old 11-12-11, 02:15 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I have two Sport Packer Plus I use for commuting. They're a front pannier, but I use them on the rear. They're perfectly sized for what I need to carry. On Mondays, the left one gets a couple of library books, snacks and lunches for the week, and the right one gets a couple of library books and my clothes for the week. They stay at work during the week, and come home on Thursdays loaded with more library books and the laundry.

Originally Posted by chefisaac
Are they all truely waterproof?

Would I get the same results by using a garbage bag inside panniers that are not water proof?

Why did you buy ortliebs?
Yes.

No. With the trash bag method your stuff remains dry but you still have soggy panniers to deal with.

Waterproof, easy mounting, reputation for quality and durability. The big @$$ reflective patches are nice after dark too. I was tired of fussing daily with lesser panniers that were leaky, a pain to mount, and beginning to go threadbare.
Old 11-12-11, 02:15 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the messenger backpack. I have ridden in the pouring rain. Everything stays dry.

I have the large office bag. Because my wad of rain gear is so big, and my lunch is a little large, I find the office bag about an inch or two shorter than I would like. But it works, and it, also, is totally waterproof.

The Ortlieb bags are about my only pieces of high-end gear. I try to go low budget, but I decided not to compromise on one thing, namely, whatever I use to carry stuff.
Old 11-12-11, 02:25 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I have two Sport Packer Plus I use for commuting. They're a front pannier, but I use them on the rear. They're perfectly sized for what I need to carry. On Mondays, the left one gets a couple of library books, snacks and lunches for the week, and the right one gets a couple of library books and my clothes for the week. They stay at work during the week, and come home on Thursdays loaded with more library books and the laundry.

Yes.

No. With the trash bag method your stuff remains dry but you still have soggy panniers to deal with.

Waterproof, easy mounting, reputation for quality and durability. The big @$$ reflective patches are nice after dark too. I was tired of fussing daily with lesser panniers that were leaky, a pain to mount, and beginning to go threadbare.
+1 to all this.
My Backroller panniers are my go to Winter and wet weather bags. I tried adapting my Lone Peak panniers using the garbage bag method and got tired of having soggy panniers.
The Ortleibs are excellent. Lightweight, totally waterproof, great mounting system, and large enough for all of my stuff.
My only slight gripe is the lack of separate spaces inside to separate things, but I use stuff sacks if I feel the need to keep things (like tools) separate.
Old 11-12-11, 02:35 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I've been avoiding the expense of Ortliebs for years now and it's one of those things where being cheap has cost me money. I've bought other bags over the past years and at some point, the rubber strap they invariably use breaks. I'm done - I'm shelling out for the back roller plus.
Old 11-12-11, 02:40 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I've been avoiding the expense of Ortliebs for years now and it's one of those things where being cheap has cost me money. I've bought other bags over the past years and at some point, the rubber strap they invariably use breaks. I'm done - I'm shelling out for the back roller plus.
You won't be disappointed! They are worth the $$$!
Old 11-12-11, 10:39 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I have two Sport Packer Plus I use for commuting. They're a front pannier, but I use them on the rear. They're perfectly sized for what I need to carry.
Another reason for using the front panniers is that, if I had the rear version, I would fill them up because I could. I make do with less stuff now. It's pathetic but with spare clothing and work stuff I frequently fill both of them, just for commuting.
Old 11-13-11, 04:38 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just pulled the trigger on a QL3 Downtown and a QL2 Shopper. I'm very excited about the rack mount hardware as mine are fiddly. I'll admit, they aren't that much work and are fine, but I love the look of the smooth on/off attachment that the Ortlieb promise. I'm also tired of buying cheap ebay shoppers and think this is a good investment.

I just hope that the Shopper can fit inside the Downtown. Very handy when shopping to just have the one thing slung over your back.
Old 11-13-11, 05:09 AM
newkie
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newkie
I just hope that the Shopper can fit inside the Downtown. Very handy when shopping to just have the one thing slung over your back.
Actually I just freaked out when I thought about this and cancelled the Shopper. Anyone know of a quality Shopper that folds flat?
Old 11-13-11, 09:28 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Actually I just freaked out when I thought about this and cancelled the Shopper. Anyone know of a quality Shopper that folds flat?
Arkel Shopper. I own two. Great bags.
Old 11-13-11, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I stuff 1 front roller inside the other then stuff both inside the 2 back rollers,
and have 1 bag to carry on the bike, and store at home.
Old 11-13-11, 01:32 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
JUst a FYI, I have a email around here that REI was supposed to be selling the Ortlieb stuff @ 20% off next week.
Old 11-13-11, 01:34 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ortlieb shopper folds down pretty flat. I don't have a Downtown, but it would probably fit, although it would take up much of the space. I routinely commute with the Ortlieb large Office bag and shopper on my racks. So convenient.
Old 11-15-11, 01:42 AM
GaryinLA

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an unusual (maybe) need. I would like to keep the bags on the bike when the bike is locked up. So i want to be able to lock the bags to the bike and also lock the bags closed. I see on the Ortlieb website they sell a little cable lock that will lock pannier bags to the rack. That leaves me with the question which Ortlieb bags can be locked closed ie run a cable or padlock through the handles so the bag is locked closed. (I realize cables or padlocked straps can be cut, but nonetheless i want to get backs i can lock up.) THe Office bag seems to be lockable by running a cable and/or padlock through the top handles. Are there any other ortlieb bags or panniers that can be locked closed also?
Anyone have any experience locking up the Office bag somehow?
Old 11-15-11, 09:01 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just pulled the trigger on a QL3 Downtown and a QL2 Shopper. I'm very excited about the rack mount hardware as mine are fiddly. I'll admit, they aren't that much work and are fine, but I love the look of the smooth on/off attachment that the Ortlieb promise. I'm also tired of buying cheap ebay shoppers and think this is a good investment.

I don't know about the QL2 stuff, but the QL3 is almost as good as their marketing claims. I'm really happy with mine.

Also, I shot them an email asking about QL3 for other bags and they said they would be releasing them in January. I like the idea of being able to keep the one mount on the left and just popping on the bag I need, even if it does lock me in to their system.
Old 11-15-11, 09:19 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do the ortliebs bags...... can they fit this Bontrager Seat Post Rack? https://bontrager.com/model/06971
Old 11-15-11, 10:01 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by chefisaac
Do the ortliebs bags...... can they fit this Bontrager Seat Post Rack? https://bontrager.com/model/06971
As I suspected, that seatpost rack has nothing to keep the panniers out of the spokes. The "legs" you see on standard racks aren't to hold the thing UP, they're to hold the panniers OUT. You certainly don't want panniers swinging into and jamming up in the spokes. Your current rack is unsafe for any type of pannier made by anyone.

If you must stay with a seatpost rack, you need one with metal loops hanging down the sides. I Googled for "seatpost mounted pannier rack" and found several examples.

If you stick with your Trek dealer, and your bike can mount a standard rack, the BackRack Deluxe S is an excellent choice at only $5 more than the rack you have. (The same page refers to it also as a BackRack Deluxe L and a BackRack 1. Who knows which of the three is the correct name. Trek certainly doesn't.) It's a clone of a time-tested Tubus model, similar to the Tubus rack I have on my primary commuter. I like it because it has separate mounting rails for panniers and a trunk bag.

Single-siderail racks don't necessarily preclude you from mounting a trunk bag and panniers simultaneously--I did it for a year or so myself--but it involves a lot of cussing and fussing that's eliminated with the dual-siderail kind.

Last edited by tsl; 11-15-11 at 10:06 AM.