Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Take the Dog Back?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Take the Dog Back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 06:12 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Take the Dog Back?

On my way home today a medium/small dog tore through his yard and started to chase me down the street. I turned my head and took a good look at him and figured he wasn't a biter, just a chaser (believe me, after a few years of riding you can tell the difference). But then as I was riding I could hear the voice of his owner calling him, with panic in her voice - the Oh No my Dog's Escaping panic - and I thought it would be neighborly to turn The Rig around and lead the pooch back to Mrs. "I Forgot my Leash". And so I did - I hung a You, and spun back to the home, dog in tow. The lady was very grateful and I felt like a good fellow.

I'm curious, how many here in the commuting forum would have led the dog back home and how many would have continued riding?
Old 12-27-11, 06:18 PM
subzeroLV

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2, 2010 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as you're comfortable enough that the dog wasn't a threat, I say help turn him back home. It doesn't cost anything but a minute or so, and can make someone else happy.
Old 12-27-11, 06:21 PM
jimcross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not as "in tune" to dogs (or their owners) as you are. I would have pedaled my a$$ off to get away from it. You're a better citizen than I am, but I now have something to strive for now.
Old 12-27-11, 06:30 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
I've done it once or twice. But as you say it depends on the dog and the situation.
Old 12-27-11, 06:47 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Using the dog trike as a natural dog magnet, I have brought back dogs that were already loose before I arrived. I go get them for others when asked.
It works the same for wives and girlfriends.

I have brougt back a couple of loose dogs with a two wheeler also.
Old 12-27-11, 07:15 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd probably turn around if I thought that the dog would keep chasing. Most of the time, though, they chase to whatever limit they have in their heads and then go home. A terrier will chase you forever though.

-G
Old 12-28-11, 12:56 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I also stop when I see a cyclist stopped and ask if they need any assistance. I don't see dogs on my commute; just cats.
Old 12-28-11, 01:00 AM
fastbartender

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done the same thing.
Old 12-28-11, 01:08 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have no issue stopping and allowing the owner to retrieve the dog. This is mostly due to my fear of being knocked off the bike by the marauding animal.
Old 12-28-11, 04:05 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to be some kinda Dog Whisperer to actually know the difference between Beethoven and Cujo!

- Slim
Old 12-28-11, 06:31 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
You have to be some kinda Dog Whisperer to actually know the difference between Beethoven and Cujo!

- Slim
Hahahaha! I don't know what it is, the way the dog is carrying himself or the way they are looking at you - I don't know, but through the years I've learned when to get out of the saddle and say "Later, Dude" (because I apparently look like a corn-dog) or other times feel not threatened. Maybe I am a dog whisperer!
Old 12-28-11, 08:26 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts

- Slim
Well, you can never be 100% sure reading the body language of a dog or even a person. That said with experience you can make pretty good guesses.

Years ago my route took me by this dog who was neither fenced nor leashed. The first day he chased me to the end of the block growling and barking. Something just told me he wasn't really trying. But I pushed harder and made him run faster to keep up. The next day I could tell his feet were hurting so I took it easy. He didn't follow as far. The third day he looked up and gave a single, "Woof!" I waved and said "good boy" as I went by.
Old 12-28-11, 08:51 AM
BiketoFeel

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown, 1997 Roadmaster Little 500 track bike, 2004 Burley Rumba, 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack, 90s Schwinn Moab MTB, 2019 DK Helio BMX, 80s Velo Sport Super Routier 12 Fixed Gear, 2000s Cannondale Touring bike, Late Model Giant TCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by subzeroLV
As long as you're comfortable enough that the dog wasn't a threat, I say help turn him back home. It doesn't cost anything but a minute or so, and can make someone else happy.
+1
Old 12-28-11, 11:14 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
On my way home today a medium/small dog tore through his yard and started to chase me down the street. I turned my head and took a good look at him and figured he wasn't a biter, just a chaser (believe me, after a few years of riding you can tell the difference). But then as I was riding I could hear the voice of his owner calling him, with panic in her voice - the Oh No my Dog's Escaping panic - and I thought it would be neighborly to turn The Rig around and lead the pooch back to Mrs. "I Forgot my Leash". And so I did - I hung a You, and spun back to the home, dog in tow. The lady was very grateful and I felt like a good fellow.

I'm curious, how many here in the commuting forum would have led the dog back home and how many would have continued riding?
I would have, and most recently while out riding I found some woman's purse. I was going to go to the Post Office and get one of their "flat rate" boxes to mail it. But looking at her drivers license I saw that she didn't live too far from me. So I just rode over and dropped it off. She wasn't home so I just put it in her mailbox and left.
Old 12-28-11, 11:18 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I also stop when I see a cyclist stopped and ask if they need any assistance. I don't see dogs on my commute; just cats.
Yep, I do that as well. If I'm ever in that spot I'd hope that someone would do the same thing for me.
Old 12-28-11, 12:02 PM
ronocnikral
Lurking Under a Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 scenarios happened to me recently:

-neighbor left their dog out without a leash. as I rode by in the dark, the thing started barking and nearly hit me as it lunged at me. I could see the dog wasn't giving too much chase, but this pattern could old real fast. So, I turned around, sat in the street while the dog barked it's head off and when the owner came out I let them know the dog almost knocked me over. maybe a little dramatic, but I tried to be polite and "neighborly."
-little toy dog gave chase as I was working through 14ish% grade climb. I had little fear of it biting me, and the owner feared it was going to get run over on the curvy road. no way I was going to turn my wagon around during that climb, besides, I was going like 5 mph.

generally speaking, I detest domestic animals and the people they control. I could come up with a million reasons not to turn around, starting with: detest dogs and their owners even more. never will I ever turn around to lead a dog back to its owner. call me what you want.
Old 12-28-11, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stir fry with a few vegetables.
Old 12-28-11, 12:53 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One night I got chased by 2 little Westies. I could hear them barking and their owners screaming for them. They ran out into the road, but I turned around, dumped the bike and scooped up a dog in each arm right before a car hit them. I carried them back to their yard, and the owner never even looked at me or said anything. She just carried the dogs into her house while crying about how close they had just been to getting run over.

Glad those dogs weren't biters. Would have been nice if the owner had said something, but at least I didn't have to watch the dogs get smooshed.
Old 12-28-11, 12:59 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Tip: if the owner's not home, you can tie the dog up with a spare tube so it doesn't follow you away again.

Personally, if a dog starts chasing me, my usual tactic is to turn on it and chase it back where it came from, snarling angrily. I don't actually know how to speak Dog, but I seem to get my point across
Old 12-28-11, 01:06 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Stir fry with a few vegetables.
I hear Suckling Canine Steak with Snow Pea Pods is absolutely delicious on certain Islands of the Pacific!

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-28-11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 01:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

- Slim

Old 12-28-11, 01:42 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Most dogs give up the chase and return home when you are out of their "territory," so I wouldn't see any need to turn around. If a dog persisted in chasing me and threatened me in any way, I would call animal control.
Old 12-28-11, 02:04 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Either you don't get out to the theaters or you don't watch much TV...

You're too funny Seattle!

Last edited by SlimRider; 12-28-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-31-11, 02:15 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I have brought back dogs that were already loose before I arrived. I go get them for others when asked.
It works the same for wives and girlfriends.
I usually leave the loose wives and girlfriends alone.
Old 12-31-11, 04:32 AM
ReinderDijkhuis
GNU cyclist

Bikes: Koga Miyata Adventurer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was herded by a Great Pyrenee dog once while jogging in rural Tennessee (I do not recommend jogging, or biking, in rural Tennessee). Herding is a fairly aggressive behaviour as the dog will go as far as to push you physically. I could still tell it meant me no harm though. It just thought having a jogger to push around was the most fun it had had in a long time.

Eventually, I jogged it back to where it came from... more or less. Its own house, or a neighbor's house. It was a great Pyr, so it goes where it likes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.