Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying Craigslist - verifying not buying stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying Craigslist - verifying not buying stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 11:11 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Due dilligence? I bought a bike off the back of a pickup truck that had two dozen beat-up looking bikes shoved into it and a few more bungee corded to the tail gate and back bumper. He had a bumper sticker that said "Bike Shop," no kidding. Seems legit.
Old 04-05-12, 12:54 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
There are no absolutes in dealing with Craigslist.
Old 04-05-12, 01:23 PM
muzpuf

Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
There are no absolutes in dealing with Craigslist.
very true ...and if one worries about the risks that much ..there is always retail
Old 04-05-12, 01:23 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShift
If you show up with a uniformed law enforcement officer and the seller doesn't get nervous, you're probably ok. And in the unlikely event it does turn out to be stolen the cops aren't likely to blame you.
If it's a REALLY great deal, offer to buy a cop lunch and tell them why.

Most legitimate sellers won't mind you showing up with a cop friend. Anyone selling stolen goods is probably going to be very nervous, and may simply refuse to sell (which may prompt the cop to do some checking).

Unless you're best friends with a cop this isn't always practical, but it's worth trying.
You wouldn't get to keep the bike, but it would make it very unlikely that you would be charged with possession of stolen property, and would make it more likely the thief would be caught.
Your first advice is very good, in the second case granted I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But I don't think that it would protect one from prosecution for receiving stolen property. As one would have still received stolen property.
Old 04-05-12, 09:29 PM
NightShift

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Your first advice is very good, in the second case granted I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But I don't think that it would protect one from prosecution for receiving stolen property. As one would have still received stolen property.
If you buy a used bike from a LBS, or a police auction, it may still turn out to be stolen.

I'm not a lawyer either, and whether the stolen property was purchased from a Craigslist seller, a brick and mortar store, or a law enforcement agency, you have still received stolen property, and I guess you could be charged for that, but I assume most prosecutors wouldn't pursue the matter if they believed you had a reasonable belief the sale was legal. Just don't piss of your district attorney.
Old 04-06-12, 02:59 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you buy a used bike from a LBS, or a police auction, it may still turn out to be stolen.

I'm not a lawyer either, and whether the stolen property was purchased from a Craigslist seller, a brick and mortar store, or a law enforcement agency, you have still received stolen property, and I guess you could be charged for that, but I assume most prosecutors wouldn't pursue the matter if they believed you had a reasonable belief the sale was legal. Just don't piss of your district attorney.
In the case of a police auction the sad truth is that more likely than not that the bike was in fact stolen hence it being in the police auction. And that the police have had it in their warehouse for x-amount of time waiting for the rightful owner to claim it before they've put it up for auction.
Old 04-08-12, 05:42 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
It wouldn't 100% protect you, but it does establish reasonable doubt that you're the guilty party. Finding you guilty in court is all about establishing your guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" and you'd probably be hard pressed to get a prosecutor to level charges. Now if you had a whole garage full of them making that claim it's probably a harder road to hoe.

CL deals are out there. I picked up a $2200 retail Gary Fisher off DC craigslist from a guy for $150 that turned out to be the assistant to a senator that was moving home and couldn't haul it. Had been sitting in his back yard so needed chain and cables, but other than that was flawless.

Hold on, DC, politics, senator.. Prolly a crook