Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dent on Cannondale Caad10 4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dent on Cannondale Caad10 4

Old 09-25-13, 05:26 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was it like this? TURN YOUR VOLUME OFF.

Old 09-25-13, 05:35 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I go on the MUPs on occasion, but I feel safer on the roads. However, it is always fun to see mtb's with aero bars.

Old 09-26-13, 05:59 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Was it like this? TURN YOUR VOLUME OFF.

man, that guys was a complete dumbass
Old 09-26-13, 07:15 AM
ibikestickers

Bikes: 2010 Caad 9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
So many of you are talking about strength of the frame, as if OP wants to keep it and ride it like this. It's 3 days old FGS. Does he want to see that for the entire life of the bike? Or a Bondo patch? Or even a patch and paint job that isn't authentic? Come on, strength or no strength the only viable solution is crash replacement. It sucks, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.
Agreed. I wouldn't want to look at a brand new bike with that damage.
Old 09-26-13, 07:42 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...WOW...

Man...pissed wouldn't even be the word to explain how I would feel about that. This is one BIG reason why I ride "bike/running paths" as little as possible. People swerving all over the place, unleashed dogs, little kids swerving all over the road, runners with headphones not paying attention...its freaking dangerous, far worse than on the road.

As for your bike (my condolences on concerning your accident), you're doing the right thing. It's compromised big time and I wouldn't advise riding it...you need to replace the frame ASAP.

Let us know how it comes out...
Old 09-26-13, 07:53 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just want to make sure you're aware that while most people who ride with earbuds are idiots, the people in the 41 who do so are able to do it safely.

Seriously though I was on a group ride a while back and we were going down a big hill doing between 40 and 45 and the guy just in front of me was riding his brakes a bit and I yelled out "on your left" and we started to go around an easy sweeping curve and he come clear across the lane in front of me. I was able to avoid him but there was alot of yelling shortly after. "I'm sorry man it just motivates me".
Old 09-26-13, 07:56 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by kbagel
I was in South Williamsburg on the Kent Ave bike lane riding south. The accident happened at Kent just pas South 5th Street. The guy took off up South 5th. He was blonde, riding a yellow bike without a helmet. If I ever see him again, it will be over.

Just dropped the bike off at the bike shop. We'll see what they say...
If you have the time and inclination, stakeout the location for a few days in a row, around the same time as your incident, and he might turn up.
He could have insurance to cover your damages.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-26-13, 08:05 AM
kbagel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got good news last night! My bike is safe to ride. The frame is straight and there was no damage other than the dent and cosmetic damage to the bar tape and hoods. My bike shop is helping me pursue a crash replacement, too. I cannot say enough good things about Ride Brooklyn through this whole process. From the purchase and getting set up to this whole mess, they have been extremely helpful.
Old 09-26-13, 08:11 AM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
I got good news last night! My bike is safe to ride. The frame is straight and there was no damage other than the dent and cosmetic damage to the bar tape and hoods. My bike shop is helping me pursue a crash replacement, too. I cannot say enough good things about Ride Brooklyn through this whole process. From the purchase and getting set up to this whole mess, they have been extremely helpful.
good to hear. and ive been to ride brooklyn in williamsburg, sweet shop
Old 09-26-13, 08:25 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Just want to make sure you're aware that while most people who ride with earbuds are idiots, the people in the 41 who do so are able to do it safely.

Seriously though I was on a group ride a while back and we were going down a big hill doing between 40 and 45 and the guy just in front of me was riding his brakes a bit and I yelled out "on your left" and we started to go around an easy sweeping curve and he come clear across the lane in front of me. I was able to avoid him but there was alot of yelling shortly after. "I'm sorry man it just motivates me".
You can ride safely with earbuds in, you just have to be aware of your surroundings, look around more, pay attention to people and cars. The downside is beginners don't pay attention, they don't look around, and if they do look left or right, the bike tends to move in that direction. Earbuds don't even have to be involved, some people just don't pay any attention to the world around them and its annoying. The guy in the video above doesn't seem to have any buds in, he just turns without even thinking. I'm guessing he's probably an awful driver too. They tend to go hand in hand.

I've gotten to the point that I no longer yell out "on your left" - I just look around and make sure that I can pass the guy about 5' to his left and hope he doesn't swerve at me when he sees me out of the corner of his eye.

Old 09-26-13, 08:32 AM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
You can ride safely with earbuds in, you just have to be aware of your surroundings, look around more, pay attention to people and cars. The downside is beginners don't pay attention, they don't look around, and if they do look left or right, the bike tends to move in that direction. Earbuds don't even have to be involved, some people just don't pay any attention to the world around them and its annoying. The guy in the video above doesn't seem to have any buds in, he just turns without even thinking. I'm guessing he's probably an awful driver too. They tend to go hand in hand.

I've gotten to the point that I no longer yell out "on your left" - I just look around and make sure that I can pass the guy about 5' to his left and hope he doesn't swerve at me when he sees me out of the corner of his eye.
Apologist #1

There will be more just wait.
Old 09-26-13, 09:01 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would ride it until it cracks. It's just a cheap aluminum frame, after all. I have some dents in my CAAD9, one of which it got while I was texting and riding.
Old 09-26-13, 09:17 AM
jerrycan42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ear buds on a bike? Nope.
Old 09-26-13, 09:30 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrycan42
Ear buds on a bike? Nope.
Yeah, it's a really dumb idea. I don't even run with earbuds.

Back on topic, I really hate passing people on a MUP because you simply never know what kind of crazy-ass manuever they're going to pull. You can yell, ding bells repeatedly starting a mile away, you can flash lights, you can creep up slowly as possible and give them plenty of time, but some people are just completely dead to the world on MUPs. Walking three abreast, blasting music, letting their dog wander all over the path, never EVER looking behind them, apparently stone deaf and blind, going exactly where they want to go with no thought of anyone else... just oblivious. It's really annoying.
Old 09-26-13, 09:39 AM
kbagel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I would ride it until it cracks. It's just a cheap aluminum frame, after all. I have some dents in my CAAD9, one of which it got while I was texting and riding.
That is my plan. Ride it until it cracks then I'll have the crash replacement frame on hand.

For those of you in NYC - it is illegal to ride with earbuds or headphones of any kind on. Cops have been cracking down on bikers and they will give you a summons. I've seen it.
Old 09-26-13, 09:58 AM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish they would do that for drivers too. Unbelievably stupid to driving your car with ear buds in.
Old 09-26-13, 10:08 AM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kent ave bike lane is AWFUL around there. I especially hate how the northbound lane just ends after the BQE, and people park illegally on the sidewalk, so you have to make a dangerous sweep through oncoming traffic to get out of the way. What was the DOT thinking..
Old 09-26-13, 10:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
That is my plan. Ride it until it cracks then I'll have the crash replacement frame on hand.

For those of you in NYC - it is illegal to ride with earbuds or headphones of any kind on. Cops have been cracking down on bikers and they will give you a summons. I've seen it.
It is certainly your bike and your choice, but please explain to me how that is the best plan. You just spent a bundle on a great bike. Do you really want to ride it with a mega dent in it? That isn't going to bother you? Don't you want your new bike to be like-new? Just asking? If you admit to the possibility of the frame cracking, aren't you taking a big risk riding it? Is that sensible? I wouldn't want to ride a damaged frame around seeing the damn dent all the time and waiting for it to fail. How good a riding experience would that be?

If Cannondale would let you keep the old one, I would say build up the new one and ride it. If anything serious happens to it, you can fall back on the old one while you wait for another replacement. But they will want the damaged one back as a condition for selling you the reduced cost replacement. My advice is just make the switch. It is the safe, aesthetic, and sensible thing to do (got to add IMO). YMMV
Old 09-26-13, 10:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
OP, this is obviously who you should be taking advice from.
Old 09-26-13, 10:59 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Apologist #1

There will be more just wait.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I'm not apologizing for anything. I was simply saying that some people are awful drivers/cyclist with or without earbuds.

This argument is silly. When you drive your car do you turn the radio off and open all the windows?

Old 09-26-13, 11:03 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Back on topic, I really hate passing people on a MUP because you simply never know what kind of crazy-ass manuever they're going to pull.
This.

My rule when riding around cyclists is similar to my rule around cars. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, but don't take it personally
Old 09-26-13, 11:42 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
This.

My rule when riding around cyclists is similar to my rule around cars. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, but don't take it personally
Agreed.
Old 09-26-13, 11:44 AM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
This.

bingo!
Old 09-26-13, 12:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I'm not apologizing for anything. I was simply saying that some people are awful drivers/cyclist with or without earbuds.

This argument is silly. When you drive your car do you turn the radio off and open all the windows?
A car radio does not actively block other sounds from getting into your ears the way earbuds do.

If I felt compelled to use earbuds, I think I would use just 1, so i can still hear other things around me.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-26-13, 12:06 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
In addition to strength issues, that dent is large enough to cause a warp in the top tube.
This will put a twist into the main triangle, and your head tube will no longer be in the same plane as your seat tube.
This will cause a significant tracking error between your front and rear wheels.
I have a CAD3 frame with a way smaller dent in that area and the wheel tracks are off by about 1/2".
I was bummed as it is a 66cm frame.
I agree with the rest who say that you should pursue the frame replacement with Cannondale.
Then, hang out on the trail and try to catch the bugger who caused the wreck........
Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.