Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MB-2 Conversion parts help request

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 11:15 PM
sbslider

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Looking for help performing a MTB conversion to drop bar setup.

Thanks to suggestions on another thread here, I recently purchased a Bridgestone MB-2. It is for my son who will use it primarily to commute to school, but also with a San Francisco to Santa Barbara trip next summer. The bike is is fair shape, everything functional. Pics to follow tomorrow when it is light out.

I did some searching and found some good info on performing the overhaul - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ng-an-Overhaul
As well as tips on fixing dmaged paint - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...touch-up-paint

I am looking for advice on the conversion part. That is, picking out and getting drop bars, brake levers and shifters. I know there is a ton of personal preference here. My approach would be to keep make the bike similar to the one I have, which has bar end shifters and brake levers. I have only tried brifters once and they seemed pretty loosy goosy, but maybe you get used to that. I would prefer indexed shifters, but I am not sure if they are available for this 6 speed cassette. Also don't know if a 7 speed cassette would fit on this wheel.

Tips and advice n this area is appreciated. I did I have not seen any bar end shifters (aka bar con? ) that are less than 9 speed yet. Am I correct in believing the shift distance for a 8 speed would not work with a 6 or even 7 speed setup? Don't mind asking the dumb questions once . . .

One more question, I have seen bikes that have levers on the drops as well as on the tops of the bars, which looks interesting. Not sure I actually want to implement this, but would be curious to learn about how it works/is set up.
Old 12-18-13, 11:30 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
if you have a shimano 6 speed cassette the 8 speed shifters will index on it. You can also use them in friction mode.

They extra levers are variously called cross-top, interrupter levers, and other names... they cable runs though them and they work by compressing the housing (pulling it apart) along the length of the cable as opposed to pulling the cable itself.
Old 12-18-13, 11:38 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First of all, cool bike. I have owned a couple MB-2's and they are excellent!

Regarding your questions, most newer, indexed bar-end shifters are going to be specifically for 8, 9 or 10 speeds. Finding the right 6 speed indexed bar end shifters may be difficult and probably cost prohibitive. However, most any bar end shifters, new or old, can be set to friction which would allow you to use it with any speed, just not indexed. Hope that makes sense.

You also asked about moving the bar ends to the top of the bars. This can be done with a set of bar end shifters and some thumbies from Paul's components: https://www.paulcomp.com/thumbies.html EDIT: I see you meant brake levers. Yes, cross tops.

However, I have always preferred to simply mount mountain bike style thumb shifters on the top of my drop bars. You will have to slightly expand the clamp to fit it over the bars but they will function equally well to a Paul's thumbies, IMO.

Drop bars are indeed a matter of preference. You can typically find a used pair for cheap on craigslist. I would strongly recommend 26mm clamp diameter rather than newer 31.8 because you will need to use a 26mm quill stem on the MB-2. Again, hope that makes sense.
Old 12-19-13, 05:54 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bars are a personal preference. Your son might like the bars that are there now.
Old 12-19-13, 11:07 AM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs, greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by mparker326
Bars are a personal preference. Your son might like the bars that are there now.
Great advice. This reminded me this is not my bike, but my sons. He is going to ride it back and forth to school the next couple days and see how he likes it before I start tweaking everything/anything. Kids have made this trip on mountain bikes with upright bars (and suspension lol!). If he wants to leave it more closer to stock, that's fine. Often better is the enemy of good enough.

That said, he has already asked about a longer seat post, which is in order. Also want to replace the axles with something quick release compatible. Hoping I can pick both these up at the bike co-op.

A bit more research shows my bike is a 1985 MB-2. According to the catalog I found on Sheldon Brown's site the freewheel is a Shimano MDF-1600, assuming that someone did not previously swap it out. I can see the rear derailleur has changed, but the other components appear stock thus far. As far as changing the freewheel goes, I am assuming a 7 speed setup would fit in the same space, need to research this more still.

Old 12-19-13, 11:19 AM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If and when you do swap out the bars, please keep those original bars around. They're too cool!!!
Old 12-19-13, 11:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can always go with friction bar ends and then it doesn't matter if you run 6, 7, 8, or 9 on the rear: https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh1no.htm or https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-shifters.html. They're pricey but both are first rate quality and will work with whatever you throw on the back.
Old 12-19-13, 11:25 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider
Often better is the enemy of good enough.

There's a world of wisdom right there.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-19-13, 12:31 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
If and when you do swap out the bars, please keep those original bars around. They're too cool!!!
indeed!!
Old 12-19-13, 12:32 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You can always go with friction bar ends and then it doesn't matter if you run 6, 7, 8, or 9 on the rear: https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh1no.htm or https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-shifters.html. They're pricey but both are first rate quality and will work with whatever you throw on the back.
Yeah, I am convinced my son needs indexed, because I prefer it. What I ought to do is switch my shifters over to friction for a week or two and see how I adjust before going crazy over trying to find indexed shifters.
Old 12-19-13, 12:43 PM
cyclotoine

Yeah, I am convinced my son needs indexed, because I prefer it. What I ought to do is switch my shifters over to friction for a week or two and see how I adjust before going crazy over trying to find indexed shifters.
I set my girlfriend up with friction bar ends and she road her touring bike all over Europe with them. When I eventually "upgraded" her to bar ends, she hated them. If you want to go indexed, you need a new derailleur too.. SO you're looking at, new chain, new freewheel, shifters and derailleur. It's a lot to change. Servicing this and putting on some QR axles will make this a pretty robust touring bike. If he needs a longer post the bike may soon be too small for him and then you will lament all the time and aggravation you put into upgrades. I toured with drop bars for years because, that is what people in North America do. After seeing all the serious bike packers in Europe and that NONE of them tour with drop bars I decided to throw on some MTB risers with big two hand position bar ends.... I love it. expedition style touring is way better with some sort of upright and wide handlebar. I may try trekking bars in the future but am pretty happy with MTB and bar ends at the moment. It offers more control and is more comfortable for me. If I want to go fast I grab the forward extensions and hunker down. It is a matter of preference. let him try it as is first.
Old 12-19-13, 12:46 PM
mparker326

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How tall is your son? That bike already looks small for whoever is riding it now.

Those bullmoose bars on there now are very cool. Are you sure yours aren't above the minimum insertion mark on the stem portion?

I had an MB-2 from the same year that I ran as a single speed for a while. I loved it. It felt like a perfect post apocalypse bike.

Old 12-19-13, 12:51 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I decided to throw on some MTB risers with big two hand position bar ends.... I love it. expedition style touring is way better with some sort of upright and wide handlebar.
I rode a Trek 7000 for 12 years with bar end extensions on it, and loved it until I started getting back problems. May not have been associated with the bar ends, the point is that is certainly a viable option as well. I will certainly take a wait and see attitude before doing a major overhaul. I also wonder if the bike could be too small in a year or two as well. If so, then I can inherit it and tinker to my hearts content then.
Old 12-19-13, 12:54 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mparker326
How tall is your son? That bike already looks small for whoever is riding it now.

Those bullmoose bars on there now are very cool. Are you sure yours aren't above the minimum insertion mark on the stem portion?
The bike is set up for the previous owner still. My son rode it 30 seconds last night and wondered if the seat post went higher. I know it doesn't because I checked that before the purchase. Not sure he needs it higher, we will see when he gets home from school today. His old bike is a BMX where the seat height is 1/3 of the MB-2 . . .

As far as the stem goes,need to check that as well, thanks for the comment.
Old 12-19-13, 01:12 PM
cyclotoine

I rode a Trek 7000 for 12 years with bar end extensions on it, and loved it until I started getting back problems. May not have been associated with the bar ends, the point is that is certainly a viable option as well. I will certainly take a wait and see attitude before doing a major overhaul. I also wonder if the bike could be too small in a year or two as well. If so, then I can inherit it and tinker to my hearts content then.
I bet the trek 7000 had a typical 1990s MTB set up of super long and low. I would guess it was the length of the cockpit more than the type of handlebar that were to blame for your discomfort on the bike (especially when stretched way out on bar ends, you gotta have good core strength for that). Todays MTB fit is completely different. Most people run stems under 70mm. I run an 85mm stem on my xc 29er with risers for a more trail oriented position and I am 6'4" My fat bike has an 80mm stem. Back then they wanted to close the hip angle with a low torso for more XC power. Today it's all about the handling of the bike for the average rider since the terrain is way more technical owing to the advances in suspension technology and changes in geometry. In the early 1990s Most racing component manufacturers didn't make a stem shorter than 110mm and often up to 160mm (syncros for example). Today 110mm it the longest MTB stem you will find.
Old 12-19-13, 01:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Maybe you should round up that tall MB-2 as well. At that price, nothing to lose.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/bik/4225031955.html
Old 12-19-13, 01:28 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Maybe you should round up that tall MB-2 as well. At that price, nothing to lose.

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/bik/4225031955.html
I rode that bike as well, it certainly is a big one, yet it rode comfortably still. It was not in as good of condition as the one I did get. I don't sense that the vintage Bridgestone mountain bike network is all that strong here in SB. And I am not sure yet how much my son is liking the one he has, but if it seems worthwhile I can go grab the other MB-2. It is the next year's model, likely the 21 inch frame. Now you have got me thinking seriously about it . . . .
Old 12-19-13, 01:59 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I am sure at the end of August, anything with air in the tires will sell in Goleta.
Old 12-19-13, 02:31 PM
mparker326

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mid 80's Bridgestone bikes are pre-Grant which makes them just another old MTB and not fetch good money. They are a great deal for those of us in the know.