Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano RS80 C24 vs. Fulcrum S5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 09:20 PM
Wheelman72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and looking for advice.

I'm a 190 lb rider looking for a new wheelset for a 2008 Specialized Allez (9-speed, Ultegra gruppo). I know the bike is nothing that special, but rather than buy a new bike, I'm wondering if a new set of wheels might make the difference I'm looking for, which is primarily to descend a bit faster. (I have the factory original Jalco Dynamics 270 wheels at the moment and they're wearing out so I'm looking to upgrade. I get a little wobble on descents and think it might be in the wheels.)

The scenario: a friend is offering to sell me his NEW Fulcrum S5 wheelset for $320 (CDN). I have another friend who has a set of used Shimano RS80 C24s that he's willing to let go for $300. These are in good shape.

I'm enticed by the new Fulcrums, but have read a couple reviews suggesting that these wheels are actually not comparable to Fulcrum Racing series wheels. I'm wondering if I'd actually be getting a better value with the Shimanos.

Also concerned about possible flexion, given my size, and wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

Thanks very much.
Old 03-21-14, 05:42 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I just ordered my third set of Fulcrum 5's from ribble. Their price without shipping is $26x.00 USD

F5's are my favorite low cost wheel...redesigned for 2014...new graphics....16xx grams. Be sure to get the 11s rear hub.
Just order a new set from ribble would by my suggestion.
Are the Shimano wheels ok? Of course. They are fine. I just prefer the Fulcrums.
Old 03-21-14, 12:26 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelman72
Hi,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and looking for advice.

I'm a 190 lb rider looking for a new wheelset for a 2008 Specialized Allez (9-speed, Ultegra gruppo). I know the bike is nothing that special, but rather than buy a new bike, I'm wondering if a new set of wheels might make the difference I'm looking for, which is primarily to descend a bit faster. (I have the factory original Jalco Dynamics 270 wheels at the moment and they're wearing out so I'm looking to upgrade. I get a little wobble on descents and think it might be in the wheels.)

The scenario: a friend is offering to sell me his NEW Fulcrum S5 wheelset for $320 (CDN). I have another friend who has a set of used Shimano RS80 C24s that he's willing to let go for $300. These are in good shape.

I'm enticed by the new Fulcrums, but have read a couple reviews suggesting that these wheels are actually not comparable to Fulcrum Racing series wheels. I'm wondering if I'd actually be getting a better value with the Shimanos.

Also concerned about possible flexion, given my size, and wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

Thanks very much.
I love my RS80s and I'm about the same size as you. $300 seems like a great price if they're not too worm. Then again you can't really go wrong either way.
Old 03-21-14, 03:05 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
imho the RS80 wheels are several levels above the Fulcrums.

A good deal lighter, and with better bearings.
Old 03-21-14, 03:21 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I think $320 is too high for the S5. It is a Specialized only OEM wheel which likely means it is heavily built like a Racing 7. Nothing wrong with it, but you can get those from PBK for less than $200 or if you want do as Campag said and step up to the Racing 5. Or go with the other friends Shimanos, but either is a better deal than the S5.
Old 03-21-14, 03:46 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
RS81's were $400 at PBK a couple of days ago
Old 03-21-14, 04:05 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I just ordered my third set of Fulcrum 5's from ribble. Their price without shipping is $26x.00 USD

F5's are my favorite low cost wheel...redesigned for 2014...new graphics....16xx grams. Be sure to get the 11s rear hub.
Just order a new set from ribble would by my suggestion.
Are the Shimano wheels ok? Of course. They are fine. I just prefer the Fulcrums.
The S5s are closer to the R7s as pointed out above SPECIALIZED | Fulcrum racing s5(venge elite)
Old 03-21-14, 05:58 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I think $320 is too high for the S5. It is a Specialized only OEM wheel which likely means it is heavily built like a Racing 7. Nothing wrong with it, but you can get those from PBK for less than $200 or if you want do as Campag said and step up to the Racing 5. Or go with the other friends Shimanos, but either is a better deal than the S5.
I missed the S5 reference and thought the OP meant the Racing 5's.
thanks canam
Old 03-22-14, 10:27 AM
yallgotfakepoo
Like I give a ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the RS80s. It's a fantastic wheel, and your friend is offering you a great price if they're in good shape.
Old 03-26-14, 11:54 AM
Wheelman72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much.

Thanks, everybody, for your sage advice.

Due partly to your comments, I've corroborated my opinion that the Fulcrum S5s are not the upgrade I'm looking for. It's really tough to get good info on the S5s, so knowing that they are roughly equivalent to Racing 7s is very helpful.

I've decided to give the RS80s a try, as I do have the luxury of giving them a road test. If they're too flexy I'll keep looking but my reliable mechanic at the LBS thinks they are going to do me just fine.

Thanks again, all.

And happy riding!
Old 03-26-14, 12:04 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've heard good feedback for the RS80's, but I wonder if that is the source of your descending wobble? You'll likely be saving weight and increasing wheel stiffness, but the wobble may be attributed to body weight distribution or fork/frame stiffnesss. Hopefully all will be resolved during the test ride.