Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

About Campy 8/10-speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

About Campy 8/10-speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 03:09 PM
Zas

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
About Campy 8/10-speed

Hi all

Just spend a good two hours googling on "Shimergo", setups like Campagnolo 10speed shifters mated with 8-speed Shimano, all the possibilites with 5/6, 7-10 speed shifters etc., and my brain hurts now. Could someone give me a quick answer, who maybe has tried this?

I have a nice Campy 8-speed wheelset from the 90s that I really would like to use.
I have 10 speed Campy shifters on one of my bikes.

Is there any way to use them together with any derailleur(shimano 7-speed??) Should I even try?

Maybe the freewheel swap to 10-speed could be an option but I'm not sure of the year or model of the hub.
Old 04-25-15, 03:50 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Short answer is no. There isnt any useful combination you can develop with either shimano or campagnolo parts. It's also not possible to convert the freehub.
Old 04-25-15, 04:50 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts

There aren't really any combinations that suit unfortunately.

I ran a 7 speed shimano cassette with all campy 8 for a while just fine. My friend has campy 10 shifters with a shimano 9 speed drivetrain that works great.

More info - Rear Shifting | CTC
Old 04-25-15, 06:19 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Zas
I have a nice Campy 8-speed wheelset from the 90s that I really would like to use.
I have 10 speed Campy shifters on one of my bikes.
The wheelset is your problem. Campy 8 speed wheels won't mix well with much, I doubt there's any way you'll be able to use them with your 10 speed shifters. Now, if you rebuilt the rear wheel with a Shimano hub you can run your Campy 10-speed shifters with an otherwise 8-speed Shimano drivetrain and it will work beautifully. As indicated by the charts above. I've done this several times and it's always worked great.

Soody, are you sure your friend is running a 9 speed Shimano cassette? That shouldn't work with Campy 10-speed shifters according to the chart and based on my experience of how they shift an 8-speed cassette I wouldn't expect them to work either.