Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

School me on handlebars, seats, and posts...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 12:38 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

I've been training on my tri bike for months (an aluminum Cervelo P2 and an older Quintana Roo Kilo), and while I enjoy it, I've had an eye out and been researching something a little more comfortable to ride; so I can build my legs without being in an aero position for hours at a time.

I wanted something carbon, for a less harsh ride, and was looking at the Cervelo R and S series bikes, and a few others by other manufacturers. I settled on the Cervelo RS, which seems to be designed as a more comfortable alternative to dedicated race bikes. I got a deal on a frame set, and have a Dura Ace group to build it up with, but need to find a seat post and drop bars to complete the build.

So a few questions:

1) Will the comfort of a Carbon bar and seat post be that apparent? I'm buying the bike for a smoother ride over the somewhat rough pavement in SE Michigan, but don't want to spend the considerably extra money if the improvement isn't significant. I'm not terribly concerned with weight, although I don't want a boat anchor, either.

2) I have an old wrist injury (broken wrist) that alternates between irritating and excruciating when going over rough pavement. I'm thinking the combination of carbon frame and bars will help, any suggestions?

3) Any recommendations for current great value/performance going on right now?
Old 08-11-15, 12:45 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Carbon bars will maybe dampen some high frequency vibrations a tiny bit.

You need to let some air out of your tires or get wider 700x25 tires and run them at a lower pressure to reduce the road shock in any noticeable way.
Old 08-11-15, 12:48 PM
TobinH

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Boulder All-Road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpd3672
I've been training on my tri bike for months (an aluminum Cervelo P2 and an older Quintana Roo Kilo), and while I enjoy it, I've had an eye out and been researching something a little more comfortable to ride; so I can build my legs without being in an aero position for hours at a time.

I wanted something carbon, for a less harsh ride, and was looking at the Cervelo R and S series bikes, and a few others by other manufacturers. I settled on the Cervelo RS, which seems to be designed as a more comfortable alternative to dedicated race bikes. I got a deal on a frame set, and have a Dura Ace group to build it up with, but need to find a seat post and drop bars to complete the build.

So a few questions:

1) Will the comfort of a Carbon bar and seat post be that apparent? I'm buying the bike for a smoother ride over the somewhat rough pavement in SE Michigan, but don't want to spend the considerably extra money if the improvement isn't significant. I'm not terribly concerned with weight, although I don't want a boat anchor, either.

2) I have an old wrist injury (broken wrist) that alternates between irritating and excruciating when going over rough pavement. I'm thinking the combination of carbon frame and bars will help, any suggestions?

3) Any recommendations for current great value/performance going on right now?
It's not quite that simple, as some carbon components are actually less flexy than some aluminum. However, the differences between very stiff components and very flexy components are pretty noticeable. My favourite seatpost, the FSA K-Force Light with 32mm of setback provides a great deal of movement, actually more than some dedicated suspension posts. It's very light and makes a significant difference to comfort. This test is older, but provides some good info: From the pages of Velo: Getting the most from your post - Page 3 of 5 - VeloNews.com

For handlebars, check out the test that these guys did: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews...dlebar-review/ As you can see there are big differences!

You might also notice that components that are light and flexy tend to be quite expensive. None of these things are going to make even nearly as much difference as a supple set of tires set to a lower psi.
Old 08-11-15, 01:09 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TobinH
It's not quite that simple, as some carbon components are actually less flexy than some aluminum. However, the differences between very stiff components and very flexy components are pretty noticeable. My favourite seatpost, the FSA K-Force Light with 32mm of setback provides a great deal of movement, actually more than some dedicated suspension posts. It's very light and makes a significant difference to comfort. This test is older, but provides some good info: From the pages of Velo: Getting the most from your post - Page 3 of 5 - VeloNews.com

For handlebars, check out the test that these guys did: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews...dlebar-review/ As you can see there are big differences!

You might also notice that components that are light and flexy tend to be quite expensive. None of these things are going to make even nearly as much difference as a supple set of tires set to a lower psi.
Great information, thanks.
Old 08-11-15, 02:12 PM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Carbon bars will maybe dampen some high frequency vibrations a tiny bit.

You need to let some air out of your tires or get wider 700x25 tires and run them at a lower pressure to reduce the road shock in any noticeable way.
+1. Go with wider rims, and run 25 or 28mm tires and this will help more than components. 28 might not clear, but 25 probably will be fine.