Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Phone covered in Goose Crap

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-15, 09:25 AM
valleyrider

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was on my way to work this morning. Had my phone and wallet in my jersey pocket like I normally do. Part of my route takes me through a university in the area and it goes right around a pond where a lot of geese like to hang out and do their daily eating, swimming, crapping, mating stuff. So I always ride through and get crap all over my tires and fenders, but it's whatever. Today the university was watering their lawn like they do often, so I was hopping over the hoses. After I hopped the second hose I feel my phone slipping out of my pocket and look to my left to see it soaring through the air. It smashes into the bike path and just skids along the goose crap. I mean just skids right through. Just right through piles of it. Piles of goose crap. My phone slid through them all. Piles.
So I turn around and pick up my phone. The case is broken in half, the screen is cracked, and there is goose crap stuffed in every nook and cranny on that thing. I think the only place no goose crap got was in the charging port somehow, so that is good news. It's a good thing I'm not too attached to my phone and I got it for free. <-I'm not amused.

Anyway, I've gone mountain biking with my phone in that pocket, and I've hopped over things and not over things just for fun with the phone in that pocket. Never before had I even felt it budge. I wonder if I just didn't have it all the way in my pocket.

Anyway, that's my story.

Old 08-13-15, 09:29 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by valleyrider
It smashes into the bike path and just skids along the goose crap. I mean just skids right through. Just right through piles of it. Piles of goose crap. My phone slid through them all. Piles.
Can you come up with any comparisons to tell us just how slick that goose crap was?
Old 08-13-15, 09:43 AM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Can you come up with any comparisons to tell us just how slick that goose crap was?
Slicker than John Travolta's hair from Grease. Slicker than that salesman that sold my grandma that useless vacuum because, "He was such a nice young man!"
Old 08-13-15, 09:48 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ziplock bags are your friend...
Old 08-13-15, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
migratory birds , its that time of year. next phone keep it in a zipper secured pocket.
Old 08-13-15, 10:16 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valleyrider
So I was on my way to work this morning. Had my phone and wallet in my jersey pocket like I normally do. Part of my route takes me through a university in the area and it goes right around a pond where a lot of geese like to hang out and do their daily eating, swimming, crapping, mating stuff. So I always ride through and get crap all over my tires and fenders, but it's whatever. Today the university was watering their lawn like they do often, so I was hopping over the hoses. After I hopped the second hose I feel my phone slipping out of my pocket and look to my left to see it soaring through the air. It smashes into the bike path and just skids along the goose crap. I mean just skids right through. Just right through piles of it. Piles of goose crap. My phone slid through them all. Piles.
So I turn around and pick up my phone. The case is broken in half, the screen is cracked, and there is goose crap stuffed in every nook and cranny on that thing. I think the only place no goose crap got was in the charging port somehow, so that is good news. It's a good thing I'm not too attached to my phone and I got it for free. <-I'm not amused.

Anyway, I've gone mountain biking with my phone in that pocket, and I've hopped over things and not over things just for fun with the phone in that pocket. Never before had I even felt it budge. I wonder if I just didn't have it all the way in my pocket.

Anyway, that's my story.

Look at the bright side... shopping for a new phone is almost as fun as shopping for a new bike!
Old 08-13-15, 11:14 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Maybe goose crap is the next hot chain lube!
Old 08-13-15, 12:55 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Lifeproof cases. I NEVER get a phone without one. Had them dropped into water, run over by a Jeep, and all sorts of minor drops and abuse, but the phone has never been damaged at all.

They're pricey for new phones, but if you use a phone that's a generation or two old, they're only about $30-40 on sale.
Old 08-13-15, 01:08 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpd3672
Lifeproof cases. I NEVER get a phone without one. Had them dropped into water, run over by a Jeep, and all sorts of minor drops and abuse, but the phone has never been damaged at all.

They're pricey for new phones, but if you use a phone that's a generation or two old, they're only about $30-40 on sale.
They are bulky, though. If you are willing to go with a phone a generation or two old, you should also be able to find that type of phone dirt cheap, maybe even cheaper than a current model Lifeproof case would be
Old 08-14-15, 05:08 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never put my phone in a case. I find lifeproof cases far too bulky. Honestly, if you're responsible enough you shouldn't need a phone case. Certainly not one that's waterproof/goosecrap proof/crushproof/dropproof/etc.

EDIT: I also don't bike with my phone. Biking is time AWAY from the phone. When commuting the phone is either in my bag or in my jeans pocket.
Old 08-14-15, 06:09 AM
valleyrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
EDIT: I also don't bike with my phone. Biking is time AWAY from the phone. When commuting the phone is either in my bag or in my jeans pocket.
While I agree with you, I always have my phone with me when I bike, even if it is off. Just for emergency purposes, especially if I am gallivanting through the backcountry. Usually in my little tool bag.

And I definitely wasn't responsible enough, I just sort went without thinking. smh
Old 08-14-15, 08:15 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
ziplock bags are your friend...
Yup. Keeps the sweat off the phone on a normal day.

I can't imagine how hard I would have to bounce for my phone to pop out of a jersey pocket.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-14-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 12:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
So, there was more than just a little bit of goose poo?
Old 08-14-15, 12:44 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1

I have an Otterbox Defender for my Samsung S4. I also use a Nite Ize to secure to to the stem, as I don't have a cycling computer, yet. I've dropped my phone on concrete floors, and the otterbox just lets it bounce and not break.

I really do have to recommend both, as I crashed the other day at >20mph, and the phone was still strapped to the stem, and working fine. It was funny to see my Strava data go from >20mph to <2mph without anything in between.

And everyone has to know how they are with things. It seems that my body knows exactly where my hips are, so that when I try to wear a phone on my hip, it's always getting hit on doorways and other things.

And it still might be valuable to have your phone with you, even if it is turned off. And if you're commuting on the bike, then you'll probably want your phone at both ends of the commute.

GH
Old 08-15-15, 08:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
One of my routes to work takes me by some small ponds with mondo ducks and geese...they sure can poop! I bike in coach's shorts with a belt and a phone holster. When I got my LG G3 phone and it was too big for any holster I found, I just sewed on a longer velcro strap. I also keep my keys in my front left pocket on a short cord d-clipped to a belt loop. Also my last two phones had no provision for a wrist strap, so I added one to a phone case. Zero-dropped phones, zero-dropped keys, but zero cool factor.
Old 08-15-15, 08:18 AM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White vinegar usually does a great job of removing bird poop. Thankfully goose poop is far less tenacious than chicken poop (however the stink factor is still there).
Most times you can let it dry then use a paperclip or similar item to scrape it off followed by a once over with a damp rag (pour a small amount of white vinegar on it).

Most importantly: Don't chew your finger nails.
Old 08-15-15, 11:30 AM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better your phone then you slipping over the wet lawn and hoses and than skimming through bird poop.
Old 08-15-15, 02:37 PM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say your up **** creek on this one. Life proof is bomb proof and the only way to go.