Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding weight of bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finding weight of bike

Old 10-29-15, 08:55 PM
manc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding weight of bike

Dont know if this is a useful tip or not? But knowing that most people like to find out the weight of a bike they are interested in buying, and that information being generally hard to find out. It seems like a good way to find out the approximate weight is by searching online retailers in Germany, Holland and France. As a lot of the retailers state a weight in the specs.
Old 10-29-15, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Your best bet is to get a scale (Park Tool makes a fine one as does Feedback Sports) and you can get an accurate weight. Most manufacturers are very inaccurate sometimes due to them outright lying and sometimes due to manufacturing tolerances.
Old 10-30-15, 12:23 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of time, the online retailers weight spec is the shipping weight and not actually the bike weight. I find that the site, Gearsuite.com is a pretty good source of information on bikes.

GH
Old 10-30-15, 02:08 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Like veganbike says, get a scale. Go to Walmart and buy one of the digital luggage scales. They are quite cheap, and you only have to hook it under the nose of the saddle and lift the bike off the ground. That way you get a real weight for comparison -- and this is important, in your size -- and not some low-ball weight published by the bike companies.

I have one of the Walmart scales and it's simple to use and accurate (it's used for luggage weight when we are travelling back from North America, and the read-out always corresponds with the one or two scales at the airports).
Old 10-30-15, 02:32 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a battery operated, hand held hanging scale.
Old 11-08-15, 08:54 PM
sharpywarpy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize this thread is getting old but... what I do is use bathroom scales. I weigh myself holding the bike then just myself. The difference between the two is the weight of the bike.
Old 11-08-15, 09:32 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
The problem is we often would like to know the weight before the purchase...
Old 11-08-15, 09:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Your best bet is to get a scale (Park Tool makes a fine one as does Feedback Sports) and you can get an accurate weight. Most manufacturers are very inaccurate sometimes due to them outright lying and sometimes due to manufacturing tolerances.
Outright lying? What reasons do you have to believe that?
Old 11-08-15, 09:48 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Most manufacturers are very inaccurate sometimes due to them outright lying and sometimes due to manufacturing tolerances.
I don't think major companies really lie that much. The consequences of getting called out and government fines and penalities is too big to chance. But what they do in case of complete bikes is publish weights of very small frame sizes instead of something in the middle. Watch for the fine print.
Old 11-08-15, 10:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Outright lying? What reasons do you have to believe that?
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I don't think major companies really lie that much. The consequences of getting called out and government fines and penalities is too big to chance. But what they do in case of complete bikes is publish weights of very small frame sizes instead of something in the middle. Watch for the fine print.
They will post that a bike weighs a certain amount and you find out by actually weighing it that it is much more (beyond the tolerances). A company will say their 56 weighs X but it is actually a 50 or 52 they are weighing. Or it is missing components you would normally weigh a bike with.

Maybe I was a bit dramatic in there (not intentionally that is just the way it looks written) and it isn't quite so bad but it does happen.
Old 11-08-15, 11:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,228 Posts
Most bike shops have a scale. Ask that it be weighed before you buy.
However, waaay too much significance is given to the weight.
Old 11-08-15, 11:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
A little off topic: A really good bike and a lot of other stuff scale is the CJ4000 but it won't do whole bikes. 4 kilos/8 pounds is the limit. It has a smooth pan so it is good for food, cleans up nicely and can be zeroed with whatever pan/support you need. Does grams, ounces and pounds. Accurate to half a gram. I use it to weigh coffee (moka stove pot) but used it and a spreadsheet to pack for Cycle Oregon. I was within a half pound when I weighed the entire 60 pound bag after packing it with no items weighing over 4 pounds. They cost about $30.

Ben
Old 11-09-15, 09:54 AM
sharpywarpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I totaly agree - on both counts.
Old 11-09-15, 10:33 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Take a luggage scale to the bike shop with you, but as has been noted, most every single shop will have a scale.
Weight is the least important thing anyone should worry about when making a bike purchase...even color should be a higher priority.

I can't count the times I have been riding a steel bike and passed people on carbon bikes. It just doesn't matter. It doesn't even matter if you are a pro, since there is a minimum weight limit. Just figure that most all bikes will fall under a range based on their frame material and component set.
Old 11-09-15, 10:41 AM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
It's like horsepower on a sports car. Useful for bragging rights, or to compare (in general terms) to something else, but as a stand alone criterion, it's of limited value.

One factor among many, often not quantifiable, to evaluate a bike.
Old 11-09-15, 01:01 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can also use a hand held fishing scale - wipe it down well first
Old 11-11-15, 06:26 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I think how much your bike should weigh depends on where you're riding it. If you're in a flat coastal area with absolutely no hills then, bicycle weight isn't much of an issue. Or, if you're riding a loaded touring bike then, a few extra pounds in the frame is no big deal. The only time a super light bike is going to be a real advantage is climbing hills. That's when having to lug an extra ten or fifteen pounds makes a difference.
Old 11-11-15, 06:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my experience, a lighter bike is more fun to ride, all other things being equal, which they rarely are. And this might just be a personal preference. There may be market categories where a heavier bike gives a feeling of ruggedness and stability, such as hybrids and cruisers. I never came up with a good reason why my daughter's new Trek 7.2 weighs a few pounds more than my 1982 Schwinn World Tourist. I suspect that the thicker metal is cheaper to weld.

But I'm guessing two things: 1) If you need to weigh bikes to decide which one you prefer, after test-riding them, then the weights don't matter. 2) If the salesman tells you that weight doesn't matter, it's because he's trying to sell you a heavy bike.
Old 11-12-15, 12:17 PM
Jeff_Caul

Bikes: Caad 10 105, Quick 4, Custom Fixed Gear, SE Draft, Retrospec Mantra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need the specific weight of your bike, call around to the LBS's and see if they have a scale. Unless they're money hungry, they shouldn't charge you to weigh it.
Old 11-12-15, 03:01 PM
manc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
The problem is we often would like to know the weight before the purchase...
That's exactly what I was trying to say. My own bikes that I have weighed (21") have closely matched up (within a lb /1.5lb) to the weights stated in the specs of a few German, Dutch and French retailers.and also Japanese.
Of course some advertised weights can be based on a small or medium frame, but this can give some idea of the weight for all sizes.
Otherwise how can you have an idea if the bike is nearer to 20lb or closer to 30lb.
Its just not practical for most people to go around bike shops weighing bikes.
Old 11-12-15, 06:29 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by manc
That's exactly what I was trying to say. My own bikes that I have weighed (21") have closely matched up (within a lb /1.5lb) to the weights stated in the specs of a few German, Dutch and French retailers.and also Japanese.
Of course some advertised weights can be based on a small or medium frame, but this can give some idea of the weight for all sizes.
Otherwise how can you have an idea if the bike is nearer to 20lb or closer to 30lb.
If it really matters to you, you can just buy a park scale that takes aaa batteries and bring it everywhere:

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-DS-1.../dp/B0012N381M
Old 11-12-15, 08:32 PM
manc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give up! Get some scales etc. etc.
Old 11-13-15, 08:38 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by manc
1-1.5 pounds is worth $454 - $681 according to the accepted $1/gram bicycle component weight savings value.

Lots of people would be pissed to over-pay by that much.

Bike shop road bikes are generally around 20 pounds, mountain bikes and hybrids 30.

Their especially heavy road bikes reach 22 pounds; light ones which cost less than used cars 17.

Of course, speed up steep enough hills is essentially proportional to total weight. As a 135 pound rider on an 18 pound bike you're 2% slower than you are on an 15 pound bike which is 72 seconds an hour. Those three pounds slow a 200 pound rider down 1.4%. Usually that's not enough to matter.

On level ground the difference is not enough to measure.

Acceleration is also impacted proportionally by weight (with rotating weight impact doubling as you reach the tire tread contacting the road), although the few percent matter less there because of the short times involved.