Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New e Townie?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New e Townie?

Old 04-02-22, 04:52 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
New e Townie?

Anyone try one yet, the integrated battery in the frame really looks nice.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 04-02-22, 05:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
they look good they have one with a bosch motor so not so wimpy. got to have a torque sensor for me. I debated on a crank forward bike as a recumbent is not the most practical bike for commuting and errands.
Old 04-03-22, 12:46 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Really good looking bike IMO, but I've always liked cruiser design.
Old 04-03-22, 03:08 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Far better bike and better value is the REI CTY 2.1 that sells for $1800 with 27.5 x 1.95 tires and a sturdy rear rack. With the detachable battery pack the bike is 5 lbs lighter for carrying it up stairs or placing it on a bike rack.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 04-03-22, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
They once made one with the lowest end Bosch Motor why step down from that? The color is nice though.
Old 04-04-22, 07:49 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
They once made one with the lowest end Bosch Motor why step down from that? The color is nice though.
they actually have their high end one with a performance line motor.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...olorCode=black
Old 04-04-22, 08:37 AM
2old

IMO, hub motors are a fine option for cruisers unless used in hilly environments. My daughter loves the one I built for her and rides it all around Las Vegas (and soon at Burning Man). Why add complexity and expense where it's perfunctory?
Old 04-04-22, 11:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they actually have their high end one with a performance line motor.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...olorCode=black
So they did a big upgrade and then a huge downgrade. Odd one but the cruise motor is decent and would be a perfect spec for what they are doing. The graphics are neat though they really should have done more across the whole bike.
Old 04-26-22, 09:47 PM
Froyd Stellar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 5 Posts
I like the looks of frame-integrated batteries but I MUCH prefer the convenience of external packs. I have 3 e-bikes in my family, one with internal battery and the others with bottle-shaped external packs. When we are out riding together we worry about the charge on the integrated battery because we won't be able to just stop at a pub and have a drink/meal while the battery recharges.
Old 04-27-22, 11:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Froyd Stellar
I like the looks of frame-integrated batteries but I MUCH prefer the convenience of external packs. I have 3 e-bikes in my family, one with internal battery and the others with bottle-shaped external packs. When we are out riding together we worry about the charge on the integrated battery because we won't be able to just stop at a pub and have a drink/meal while the battery recharges.
I am curious what exactly would change about the charge due to battery position? Also curious what an internal battery has to do with pub stoppage and having a drink or meal? Unless this is some really odd bike with non-rechargeable batteries which wouldn't make sense pretty much all the batteries can be recharged and if you are nice a business might let you charge there. Sure I could understand some businesses not wanting a full bike inside but if you are nice about it and can find an out of the way place and you are buying food and drink they are usually pretty ok with it.

I have two internal batteries and the charge isn't effected by that at all in fact they happen to be larger due to they are both 625wh but that is not really relevant here.
Old 04-27-22, 10:07 PM
Froyd Stellar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 5 Posts
The main difference for me is the size of the "rechargeable unit", i.e. full bike vs battery. With my bike with the integrated battery needs to be brought inside and parked near an outlet, whereas he other two bikes have compact batteries that easily come off the frame (they sit in a bottle cage with electronic terminals) so I can charge the batteries in more places where the full bike would not be welcome. For instance, I can park my bike indoor at my workplace, but there are no outlets nearby. When I take the integrated-battery bike to work I need to make sure it's topped off before I leave the house, with the other, I just need to check I have enough to get me to work and then I can charge the battery right on my desk. Even for shorter stops I can usually get to 50% in an hour or so.

Clearly everyone's ebike use is a little different so I can see how what works for me would not work for bikers use their bike for other types of biking.
Likes For Froyd Stellar:
Old 04-27-22, 11:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Froyd Stellar
The main difference for me is the size of the "rechargeable unit", i.e. full bike vs battery. With my bike with the integrated battery needs to be brought inside and parked near an outlet, whereas he other two bikes have compact batteries that easily come off the frame (they sit in a bottle cage with electronic terminals) so I can charge the batteries in more places where the full bike would not be welcome. For instance, I can park my bike indoor at my workplace, but there are no outlets nearby. When I take the integrated-battery bike to work I need to make sure it's topped off before I leave the house, with the other, I just need to check I have enough to get me to work and then I can charge the battery right on my desk. Even for shorter stops I can usually get to 50% in an hour or so.

Clearly everyone's ebike use is a little different so I can see how what works for me would not work for bikers use their bike for other types of biking.
Many of todays integrated batteries are removable, Specialized in their SL lineup and on their mountain bikes isn't but all of the Bosch stuff is and all the Brose stuff we have ever had was and also Shimano and probably a whole host of others. However with the SL stuff you can get range extenders and charge those separately.

Maybe a good time to upgrade to something that does suit your needs more if you are commuting something with Bosch might be quite handy as Bosch is super easy to get support for and get replacement batteries and very low on needing warranties and usually when they do it is usually an odd problem or occasionally a manufacturer specific problem like the Intuvia displays on old Gazelle bikes but that was their handlebar choice and Bosch has always sent out the replacement display holders without much fuss as did Gazelle for a while and then they fixed the problem.
Old 04-30-22, 01:19 PM
FREEBIRD1

Talking Cruiser GO

Picked up the single speed cruiser version, so far I really like it. Bike has plenty of pep, hill climbing ability, and stops well. I like the old school frame design over the high Townie, and the ride is really plush. The balloon tires, and 27.5's soak up the bumps nicely. I was surprised how lively the 250W motor is, the thing is very minimalistic and quiet. I'll do some range testing the next few days and see what she will do.

Last edited by FREEBIRD1; 04-30-22 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Change
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 04-30-22, 04:07 PM
2old

Agree, great looking bike, and I'm a big fan of Trek.
Old 04-30-22, 05:28 PM
FREEBIRD1

I put about 15 miles on it this afternoon, it is a very pleasant way travel. I suspect with a mix of assist levels when you need it I'll probably get about 30-35 mile range.

Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 06-03-22, 09:12 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
My wife has a Townie Go with the mid drive Bosch set up and she loves it. It has an internal geared hub instead of a derailleur so if she forgets to down shift a a light , she can select the low gear and resume. She keeps it on "eco" mode most of the time and can get a few rides (10-15 miles) before a charge is required. Solid bike and very comfy according to her.