Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

I'm going to complain about the weather

Notices
Northern California Northern California

I'm going to complain about the weather

Old 05-19-22, 11:53 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
heh, I wasn't that close, maybe 3-4' and rattlesnakes can only strike about half their body length, so I figure I was ok. If I'm wrong about that, I hope I don't find out the hard way!
Old 05-19-22, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
heh, I wasn't that close, maybe 3-4' and rattlesnakes can only strike about half their body length, so I figure I was ok. If I'm wrong about that, I hope I don't find out the hard way!
I was riding on a bike path one morning in Spring, and I saw another cyclist, in the oncoming lane, stopped. He flagged me down.. There was a small rattlesnake stretched out across the path. I whipped out my Zefal HPX frame pump, flicked open the valve locking lever, and opened it to its full extension. Then I used it, with the lever under its body, to lift the little guy up and gently toss him into the brush some distance from the trail.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-19-22, 12:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yesterday evening was pretty nice for cycling on the Peninsula, though there were headwinds that got substantially worse the closer to 92 I got on Canada Rd. Short sleeve jersey weather! I did kind of wish I'd stolen a nice cold Coke from work, for when I got back to the car - I was a little dry.

Old 05-19-22, 03:04 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Summer heat confirmed! Went up NG after work and completely blew up about 4 miles up to the junction. I never get "pukey" when I ride, but last night was an exception, my body did NOT like this overnight flip in temps!
Yeah I went up at 2PM, and there's only so much acclimating a guy can do with that heat. I was about a 0.8 on the puking scale.

My rattler photo - not from yesterday.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-19-22, 03:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I have things to do today, and it's blowing 25 + gusts. At least it's a moderate 59*F. Grrr.

ETA: Checking windy.com, looks like Alaska's getting a swirly.
Old 05-29-22, 05:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
I have poor circulation in my hands, and when it gets below 40 or so, my fingers get so cold it's tortuously painful, no matter what I wear on them. Makes it so hard to enjoy a ride when I'm in excruciating pain.
try using mittens, I used normal socks on my hands when delivering food in the winter. mittens are much warmer than gloves
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-23-22, 06:22 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
local weatherman keeps talking about joint pain. I haven't yet found a correlation between weather & how my joints feel. I think higher humidity = higher joint pain
Usually yeah, humidity and/or cold aggravate joint pain, but sometimes the heat does it too. I have chronic arthritis, and had a major ACL reconstruction back in 1999. 😟 I usually like it nice & warm, but these days of over 100F are getting old quick. 🙄

At least there's a lot of fresh fruit around here. 👍 I've probably had more than my fair share of grapes & watermelon this year, so switched to oranges today. I had a navel orange that was definitely bigger than a softball. 😃😍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-23-22, 06:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Ha, I have a lot to learn yet about rattlers too, hopefully from a distance. 🙄😁 I've seen 2 babies this year, one alive & one dead, but last year, I had an adult creep up on me. I was reading on a bench, in Rancho Cordova, and when I started to get up, I saw a rattler sunning himself, right by my bike. As in about 2 or 3 feet away, with just my front wheel between us. 😲 I kept my head & backed away, then got a local guy to deal with him. He just got a tree branch & brushed it away.

I still don't care to get that close again, thanks. 🙄😁
Old 08-29-22, 09:54 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Hope everyone is an early riser...Labor Day weekend is going to be a furnace around here. 105-110 in the East Bay is the forecast for Sat-Mon. I usually get out just after 8, but I think I'm going to try and move that up an hour, so I can come back and cook my breakfast on a manhole cover.
Old 09-02-22, 11:34 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
Hope everyone is an early riser...Labor Day weekend is going to be a furnace around here. 105-110 in the East Bay is the forecast for Sat-Mon. I usually get out just after 8, but I think I'm going to try and move that up an hour, so I can come back and cook my breakfast on a manhole cover.
I live near the Sonoma coast and the Russian River and both will be an absolute zoo anywhere there is space enough to set up a chair. Getting my runs and rides in at the crack of dawn then heading out to the lesser known local spots to take a dip in the river this weekend.
Old 09-02-22, 02:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

{le sigh} We're having an extreme Fogust up here; it's been largely overcast and cool all month (heck, all summer!), and the last week has been extra dark and cold. I would love sunshine for more than three minutes at a time. I hope September gets a little better.
Old 09-02-22, 05:31 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Korina
{le sigh} We're having an extreme Fogust up here; it's been largely overcast and cool all month (heck, all summer!), and the last week has been extra dark and cold. I would love sunshine for more than three minutes at a time. I hope September gets a little better.
Boy, I should come up your way, this heat in Sacramento is killing me. And the next week is all 100F & hotter, getting close to 110F a couple days. 🥺 But if I can survive this week, it's supposed to cool down into the 90s, lol. 🙄😉

I couldn't believe it, but when I went into a grocery store earlier, some idjit stole my water bottle. 🤬 That's just asking to get COVID, I'd think, and not very smart, if I caught them, either. 🙄

Oh well, life goes on, huh? At least for some of us. I'm gonna shut up now, & enjoy some cole slaw. Haven't had any for awhile, and the BIG tubs were on clearance, Clarence. 😁😉
Old 09-02-22, 05:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Saturday 9/3 at Mount Diablo: Should remain below 90°F until about 1PM
And NGR is open for the weekend!
Old 09-02-22, 06:13 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Saturday 9/3 at Mount Diablo: Should remain below 90°F until about 1PM
And NGR is open for the weekend!
I was seeing that. Bay area isn't going to really get hit hard until Sunday or Monday.
I really want to get one more ride up Diablo in before the Diablo challenge in a month but the focus this weekend is running for an upcoming race so I'm doing a run down in Marin on the Dipsea trail instead Saturday morning. Out of town every weekend after that until the Diablo Challenge. I'll get plenty of rides in before that time, just no practice up the mountain itself.
Old 09-03-22, 10:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, I gotta say I was very pleased to see the Excessive Heat Watch reduced from Sat-Tues down to Sun-Mon.

Old 09-03-22, 01:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

I grew up in Tracy, so I feel ya. The only time the wind stopped, it hit 110*. I really wish I'd had a good bike back then; we were a few miles from the coastal hills, and I always dreamed of riding through them; Corral Hollow Rd. is a popular bike route, but in the '70s my only bike was a boat anchor 10-speed at least two sizes too large; a family friend gave it to my 5'3" mom.

Sorry about the bottle. Humans. 🙄

Hate to do this to you, but THE SUN CAME OUT TODAY!!1!!!1! It's sunny and 64*F at 12:45, and I'm not sure why I'm still inside. Enjoy your coleslaw!

Originally Posted by stardognine
Boy, I should come up your way, this heat in Sacramento is killing me. And the next week is all 100F & hotter, getting close to 110F a couple days. 🥺 But if I can survive this week, it's supposed to cool down into the 90s, lol. 🙄😉

I couldn't believe it, but when I went into a grocery store earlier, some idjit stole my water bottle. 🤬 That's just asking to get COVID, I'd think, and not very smart, if I caught them, either. 🙄

Oh well, life goes on, huh? At least for some of us. I'm gonna shut up now, & enjoy some cole slaw. Haven't had any for awhile, and the BIG tubs were on clearance, Clarence. 😁😉
Old 09-04-22, 12:54 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Well, it just gets worser & worser. Now AccuWeather is saying 113°F tomorrow & 114°F for Tuesday. 😵 Heck, we might as well change our name to Mojave West. 🙄 😉

And Safeway raised the prices again, on their really big sub sandwiches (among other things). At least I got the last one, with the upgraded bread & cheese, lol. 😁

I ate most of that Cole slaw yesterday, but I think it started going bad, from the heat. 🤔 I just decided to toss the rest, hence a really big sub today. And white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. 😍 I figure if the heat kills me, at least I won't die hungry. 😁
Old 09-06-22, 11:56 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Ayup, 114°F yesterday here, a new record for Labor Day, and more of the same today. 🤬😉

But I found some gigantic black plums yesterday, which helped. 🥰😁
Old 09-06-22, 12:17 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I have poor circulation in my hands, and when it gets below 40 or so, my fingers get so cold it's tortuously painful, no matter what I wear on them. Makes it so hard to enjoy a ride when I'm in excruciating pain.
I had frostbite on both feet and toes a few decades ago and now when it gets cold my feet almost instantly go numb with a pin prick feeling. I simply cannot ride when it's cold as it's unbearable... I've tried winter cycling shoes, covers, everything - no dice for me..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-06-22, 01:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

I wish it were below 40.

Old 09-06-22, 02:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by Korina
Hate to do this to you, but THE SUN CAME OUT TODAY!!1!!!1! It's sunny and 64*F at 12:45, and I'm not sure why I'm still inside. Enjoy your coleslaw!
FYI, 15 minutes before I left the marine layer moved in. At least I didn't need sun screen. Half an hour after I returned the marine layer moved out. D'oh! It was a great ride anyway.
Old 09-06-22, 02:55 PM
cthenn

I dunno...I ended up getting out over the weekend about 7-7:30 each day, and I must say it was almost pleasant! I think I'd take 105+ in the afternoon and have it be nice in the early morning instead of 35 degrees until 10 in the morning during winter. The pain of bitter cold is almost too much to bear, I can take the heat, only because I can choose to avoid it by getting out early.

Anyway, it was nice to be out early, on Monday it was getting warmish by the time I returned at 10, but I might have stumbled into a new routine. It was so QUIET on the roads that time of day, especially on Labor Day, when most people were probably still asleep when I got home at 10 lol! It's a good feeling to come back from a 2+ hour ride and smell people cooking bacon when I've already eaten and gotten in a good dose of exercise! Take that lazy bums!
Old 09-06-22, 02:59 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by raqball
I had frostbite on both feet and toes a few decades ago and now when it gets cold my feet almost instantly go numb with a pin prick feeling. I simply cannot ride when it's cold as it's unbearable... I've tried winter cycling shoes, covers, everything - no dice for me..
That's exactly what I feel, like needles in my fingertips. Toes will get cold, and even numb, but I won't really feel the pain, it's in my fingers that I can barely tolerate.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 09-06-22, 03:05 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I rode with heated socks .. helped tons
Old 09-06-22, 03:07 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
That's exactly what I feel, like needles in my fingertips. Toes will get cold, and even numb, but I won't really feel the pain, it's in my fingers that I can barely tolerate.
Sounds like you've had frostbite before.. Nothing you can do about it once you've had it as the lingering effects of it are there for life..

I've tried everything and nothing works so when it gets cold, I just ride indoors on a trainer or exercise bike.. Sucks but it is what it is..
Likes For raqball:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.