Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 02:47 AM
namor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Hi Namor, I'm using an 11 speed e-thirteen 9-39 cassette (433% range). With a 42T chainring the chain interferes with the swing arm when running in 1st gear. With a 38T chainring the chain just skims past the swing arm in 1st but you'll still need to add some protection to avoid damage to the arm. The previous owner of my bike covered about 200 miles and I estimate I might have added another 300. Up to now I can see no durability issues whatsoever. In my opinion the durability of the frame and locking mechanisms will compete very well with those of Brompton and other premium folders. Good luck finding a used bike.
andrew. thank you very much for this information. i'm looking forward to the bike!
Old 05-08-22, 02:56 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Just wondering. How much extra is the expedited delivery for those with Kickstarter bikes in the queue? Did I miss that somewhere in Helangst 's post above?

I see that you get about $400 worth of upgrades, but I don't see the actual cost.
Old 05-08-22, 09:00 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like it enough to consider using it in place of the Cannondale Topstone gravel bike which have been using for the last 2 years to commute to work. It's not as stiff as the gravel bike of course, but I find it more comfortable on a cycle path which has been damaged by tree roots pushing up from below. The seat post flexes quite a lot and behaves in a similar way to the long travel Cane Creek Thudbusters which I have on my older folding bikes and it's this feature which provides the extra comfort. The steering has a similar level of twitchyness to my 20" wheel folders. That was a surprise, I expected it t be more stable due to the larger 24" wheels, but it just means I have to be a little bit careful when riding one handed just as I've learned to do on my 20" wheeled bikes. I'd like it better if it could accommodate a wider range of gears. I like to have a range of 500% on all my bikes. The standard Helix 10spd derailleur only has 328%. I've managed to squeeze a wider range cassette on which yields 433% but to make it work I've had to add a wear strip to the underside of the swing arm to stop the chain sawing through it when running in 1st gear. I like that there's no paint finish to get scratched or worn away. I also very much like that it doesn't have the "clown bike" appearance of my previous folders. I like that I can still fit it into the same travel case I've previously used although I do have to deflate the tyres to make it fit, which is a bit inconvenient. I don't like that the fold is less slick and takes longer than my Brompton style folders. This is mainly due to the fork and steering lock mechanisms being much slower to operate. The wheel to wheel connector can also be fiddly to engage which can be annoying at times.
Jonesandrew... what case are you using for travel? I'd love to get the Helix into a travel case, but I can't think of anything that fits. Checked luggage standard size would be nice, but these days, I'll consider anything that's viable and "not too large". Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-22, 01:06 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
@Ozonation; see my post above https://www.bikeforums.net/22432144-post2673.html
Old 05-10-22, 12:14 PM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks! Much appreciated. I took a quick look... unlikely I can find a used one anywhere. I guess I'll have to keep looking. Cheers.
Old 05-30-22, 02:54 AM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Does anyone have any comparison photos of a folded Helix against a Birdy or Brompton? I'm curious how the fold compares against these bikes or against other folders.
Old 05-30-22, 03:22 AM
Jonesandrew

Originally Posted by gleearch
Does anyone have any comparison photos of a folded Helix against a Birdy or Brompton? I'm curious how the fold compares against these bikes or against other folders.
See #2186 (Brompton) and #2190 (Birdy).
Likes For Jonesandrew:
Old 05-30-22, 03:36 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
This picture is my Brompton compared to my Birdy Titanium, not to Helix !
Originally Posted by Jipe
My Birdy with 20" wheels is also smaller !

So, let say "smallest in its class , i.e. 24" wheels".
Originally Posted by Ozonation
I cannot recall if anybody had posted images of the Brompton side by side with the Helix when both are folded, but if it helps anybody, here are some images of the two together. NOTE: The seat of the Helix can go down MUCH further, and would be virtually at the same level as the Brompton when both bikes are in their folded configuration.

I left the seat up on the Helix because: 1) my removable bottle holder on the top tube is in the way; 2) the quick release back rack is in the "out of the way" position; and 3) I was too lazy to pop the seat down and then try to remember my ride height later! So, in the images, don't let the seat height trick you into thinking the Helix is fantastically larger than the Brompton: larger by a bit, yes; by that much? - no.

And yes, the garage door could use a new paint job....

Side by side

Superimposed (sort of!)

Width from the top (ignore the handle bag and rack attached to the Helix).
Likes For Jipe:
Old 05-31-22, 03:30 AM
Jonesandrew

This picture is my Brompton compared to my Birdy Titanium, not to Helix !
Oops! sorry, did that in a hurry.
Old 05-31-22, 03:58 AM
Jipe

Oops! sorry, did that in a hurry.
No problem, but as can be seen, the Birdy is only slightly bigger folded than the Brompton and as consequence much smaller than Helix.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 06-02-22, 01:34 AM
gleearch

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses and the photos. I already have a Birdy, this gives me a basis for comparison. I was considering the Pacific Reach which isn't a true folder but has some good qualities but the price has jumped considerably since Covid. I was going to see if I could pick one up traveling through Asia but am moving away from that idea. The Helix might be a possible goal but the price is right up there with the Reach. Except with it's location in Canada and some deliveries happening might be more available than a Reach which has no distributor in the US. I'll track it's development progress and if production picks up, and they clear their back log of initial backers, I might get one. Unless something better comes along in that time.
I looked at the new Tern BYD since I already have two other Terns but that price point at $3K was ridiculous.
Old 07-06-22, 12:37 PM
gleearch

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone have photos of fully folded Helix bikes in the trunk of a Tesla Model Y? Preferably more than one and without folding the back seats. I cannot stand my folded Tern bikes in the trunk of a model Y and have to lay them flat. The slope of the hatch doesn't provide much height even if the trunk overall is large.
Old 09-05-22, 08:02 AM
CKHelixOwner

Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit, 2005; Helix 2018ish

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry not to be able to respond to anyone -- it appears my posts are being deleted. not sure why.
Old 09-06-22, 10:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by CKHelixOwner
Sorry not to be able to respond to anyone -- it appears my posts are being deleted. not sure why.
No selling outside of Sales Forums. Also, only paid forum members can sell on Bike Forums.

Old 09-06-22, 11:29 AM
CKHelixOwner

Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit, 2005; Helix 2018ish

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, Cb400bill.
For the record, I was offering to show pictures of my bike, not to sell. Then somebody else offered to buy. Theirs was the post that should have been blocked.
(This was my first ever post on a public forum anywhere. Not exactly a warm welcome to bikeforums.)
Old 09-06-22, 02:49 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
...as can be seen, the Birdy is only slightly bigger folded than the Brompton ...
Don't own either; these are just the dimensions off the factory sites:

Brompton 58.4x56x27cm, 88301cm3
Birdy 78.5x64x34cm, 170816cm3
Old 09-06-22, 03:08 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by tcs
Don't own either; these are just the dimensions off the factory sites:

Brompton 58.4x56x27cm, 88301cm3
Birdy 78.5x64x34cm, 170816cm3
I have both, so I can show a picture side by side:
Old 09-06-22, 03:52 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
To start with, in this photo the Brompton's wheels are well larger, in my count as much as 45% . They call it smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by 2_i; 09-06-22 at 03:55 PM. Reason: smoke&mirrors
Old 02-02-23, 01:41 PM
Eendbaas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trolley mode?

Im thinking of getting a helix to replace my brompton, I do love the brompton but I just cannot get a good upright position without compromising the foof.

one thing I do like a lot about the brompton is trolly mode, where you can push the bike by the handlebars, kind of like a stroller.
I use this a lot when travelling with my bag attached to the front carrier block.

if you leave the handlebars up on the helix, is it useable as a stroller like this as well?
Old 02-05-23, 07:59 PM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Eendbaas
Im thinking of getting a helix to replace my brompton, I do love the brompton but I just cannot get a good upright position without compromising the foof.

one thing I do like a lot about the brompton is trolly mode, where you can push the bike by the handlebars, kind of like a stroller.
I use this a lot when travelling with my bag attached to the front carrier block.

if you leave the handlebars up on the helix, is it useable as a stroller like this as well?
I have both, and while I haven't tried the Helix in this way, I'm going to say... probably not. You could sort of push it around in that configuration, but it would be awkward and cumbersome. In fact, I'm not sure you can because the Helix actually rolls on its wheels, so you have to push it along from the saddle position since the wheels can only roll one way. The Brompton sits on the little trolly (EZ) wheels so in this mode, it's independent of the actual bike wheels.

Until Helix releases its bike specific racks (which I understand the prototypes work quite well) if you want all out versatility, the Brompton is still king. What is it about the Brompton that you can't get comfortable on? I'm going to play dumb and ask what is "foof"?
Old 02-05-23, 08:25 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Isn't the Helix restricted in how high a bar you can add to it, too? Long ago I did some comparison shopping and I'm pretty sure a Helix has a lower bar height than an H model Brompton.
Old 02-05-23, 09:45 PM
Eendbaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Isn't the Helix restricted in how high a bar you can add to it, too? Long ago I did some comparison shopping and I'm pretty sure a Helix has a lower bar height than an H model Brompton.
Really? Looking at the pictures, I don’t see why you wouldnt be able to slap a higher stem or riser handlebars on there. It seems like the handlebars are quite a long distance from the floor. But I could completely be missing something that’s not visible on the pictures.

Originally Posted by Ozonation
I have both, and while I haven't tried the Helix in this way, I'm going to say... probably not. You could sort of push it around in that configuration, but it would be awkward and cumbersome. In fact, I'm not sure you can because the Helix actually rolls on its wheels, so you have to push it along from the saddle position since the wheels can only roll one way. The Brompton sits on the little trolly (EZ) wheels so in this mode, it's independent of the actual bike wheels.

Until Helix releases its bike specific racks (which I understand the prototypes work quite well) if you want all out versatility, the Brompton is still king. What is it about the Brompton that you can't get comfortable on? I'm going to play dumb and ask what is "foof"?
oh woops, that’s supposed to be “fold” haha.

If it’s not too much trouble, could you try to push it around like this and see if it works? If you could get it on video that would be great!

As for the brompton, I simply cannot get the handlebar high enough for my ideal position. And it’s a bit annoying that I have to actively avoid cobbles haha. I’m cycling in Asia now and if I’m caught off guard by a pothole it always gives me a whiplash every time with the small wheels haha.
Old 02-06-23, 04:18 AM
Jipe

About the bad road riding, cobbles and potholes, I doubt that the Helix will be much better than the Brompton.

The wheels are bigger but not that much and like on the Brompton these have relatively narrow, high pressure tires (that's a major drawback of Helix: tire width is limited to 40mm, while most ETRTO507 tires are wider that that, the choice of tires for Helix is very limited).

The Helix has no suspension at all and seems to have a very stiff frame with a straight, thick single arm fork that must be very rigid.

From what you say, I think a Birdy with a comfort stem (the Birdy stem is adjustable in height) and a rear rack with easy wheels will do the job much better for you than Helix since it has an excellent suspension (especially the front one) and wide 50mm tires. The Birdy is excellent on cobbles and trails.
Old 02-06-23, 08:48 PM
Eendbaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the bad road riding, cobbles and potholes, I doubt that the Helix will be much better than the Brompton.

The wheels are bigger but not that much and like on the Brompton these have relatively narrow, high pressure tires (that's a major drawback of Helix: tire width is limited to 40mm, while most ETRTO507 tires are wider that that, the choice of tires for Helix is very limited).

The Helix has no suspension at all and seems to have a very stiff frame with a straight, thick single arm fork that must be very rigid.

From what you say, I think a Birdy with a comfort stem (the Birdy stem is adjustable in height) and a rear rack with easy wheels will do the job much better for you than Helix since it has an excellent suspension (especially the front one) and wide 50mm tires. The Birdy is excellent on cobbles and trails.
Yes I do like the Birdy actually! It’s just a tad too big, although I did see one in this topic that is almost brompton sized, not sure which model that is, I know they are usually quite a bit bigger.
Old 02-07-23, 03:30 AM
Jipe

The Birdy 3 folds smaller than its predecessors, closer to the Brompton and smaller than the Helix. Its frame accepts ETRTO406 wheels without folded size increase if you accept to limit the tire width to about 35mm (Pacific Cycles Birdy R11SP for example).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.