Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour V GT Luxe Install

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 09:07 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts

All right, be patient with me--I'm normally in the English 3 speed thread. These derailleurs are new territory to me.

I found a Suntour V GT Luxe long cage derailleur at the bike recyclers and bought it for $5. I took it apart and cleaned and greased it. It seems to be a very nice derailleur: SunTour V GT Luxe derailleur (1500)

I want to replace the Suntour AR on my Raleigh Wyoming with this one. Everything I've read says I need to break the chain or remove the tension pulley to change a derailleur, but from looking at them, one doesn't need to do that with a Suntour. It looks pretty simple, honestly. Or am I missing something? The tension pulley can be removed easily, and the cage for it does pivot.
Old 06-12-19, 09:13 AM
mboro1876

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't need to break the chain if you can remove the pulley wheel. But, a nice feature of many suntour RD's possibly including yours, is that one of the cage plates is 'split'. the chain then be removed and installed (to/from the RD if not necessarily the front derailleur too) without breaking the chain or removing a pulley wheel.
Old 06-12-19, 09:24 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I love my VGT Luxe, and have two of them on Raleigh Super Courses. Before I realized that the split cage was a "feature" it annoyed me that the chain would pop out of the cage on wheel changes. With a new bike build, my first, there was a lot of trial and error, wheels on and wheels off, and I never got used to keeping track of the chain when I removed the wheel. In operation, moving down the road, they work great and allow the use of a 6 speed 34t Megarange freewheel.

VGT Luxe on my '73 Super Course.

VGT Luxe on my '78 Super Course
Old 06-12-19, 09:40 AM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
You can remove the chain (or even the derailleur) without breaking the chain or removing pulley wheel on those. You aren't missing anything. Great design. Suntour Cyclone and a few others are the same.
Old 06-12-19, 09:45 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Nice Super Courses

Yes, got a Mega Range 6 speed 34T freewheel as well. Slowly turning it into a touring bike.
Old 06-12-19, 11:20 AM
mboro1876

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gna
Thanks everyone.

Nice Super Courses

Yes, got a Mega Range 6 speed 34T freewheel as well. Slowly turning it into a touring bike.
Another tip: give them as long a chain as you can, maybe even to the point of letting the small-small combo rub a little if necessary. These suntour derailleur are wonderful and the only thing that could let you down ‘spontaneously’ is the main pivot spring: they are old pieces of steel and can snap if made to bend too far. So I always give them a lot of chain, enough to make even big-big not a huuuge stretch, and bear that little spring in mind when shifting. With normal good gear technique you can keep it safe.

my tourer is currently being rebuilt, and I use a vx-GT.
Old 06-12-19, 12:19 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by mboro1876
Another tip: give them as long a chain as you can, maybe even to the point of letting the small-small combo rub a little if necessary. These suntour derailleur are wonderful and the only thing that could let you down ‘spontaneously’ is the main pivot spring: they are old pieces of steel and can snap if made to bend too far. So I always give them a lot of chain, enough to make even big-big not a huuuge stretch, and bear that little spring in mind when shifting. With normal good gear technique you can keep it safe.

my tourer is currently being rebuilt, and I use a vx-GT.
When I built the gold Super Course above, I was surprised that it took the whole KMC 8 speed chain. Usually I need to remove a couple of links. I did on the green one above, but it is a triple with 32t granny up front, a 40 middle, and a 50t big ring. Both have 34t Megarange freewheels and KMC 8 speed chains. The gold one has a normal 52/42 double. Both seem to ride and shift great, though the triple sometimes gets hung between chain rings, usually due to pilot error.
Old 06-12-19, 12:31 PM
mboro1876

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
When I built the gold Super Course above, I was surprised that it took the whole KMC 8 speed chain. Usually I need to remove a couple of links. I did on the green one above, but it is a triple with 32t granny up front, a 40 middle, and a 50t big ring. Both have 34t Megarange freewheels and KMC 8 speed chains. The gold one has a normal 52/42 double. Both seem to ride and shift great, though the triple sometimes gets hung between chain rings, usually due to pilot error.
Yeah, with long wheelbase and a biggish ring up front I soon use up a 116L chain. the rebuild is going for a more compact double type of thing so apart from anything else I’ll be able to shop more easily for chains 😄. I agree with you that I’ve never had any *shifting* issue from a long chain... at most, the small small rubs and it reminds you not to use it!
Old 06-12-19, 02:40 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
It is a nice SunTour feature but for future chain purchases I highly recommend a quick-link chain like the SRAM 8 speed chains -which work fine on 5-8 speed bikes, or KMC. I have developed a deep and unreasonable hatred for pin connector chains. (looking at you Shimano). Have fun with the touring bike @gna