Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1987 Canondale SR500 Is it a Decent Bike?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 12-15-21, 05:38 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

Is this a decent bike? I'd like to use it for group rides. Really just starting out riding with groups. I realize some of this is based on my abilities, but can I conceivably keep up with 16 mph pace folks?

It's a 1987 Sr500. Per the catelogue has the "new" Shimano 105 groupset. It's an aluminum which I guess can be kind of rough over long distances. I'd be doing 30-40 mile rides. Is this enough bike or should I save for something better.better?
I also want something I can ride around the city without being to worried about it being stolen. Or at least not too upset if it does get stolen.

Guy says he'd take $160. It's been for sale for a while so I guess he's just sick of trying to sell it.

I dont really love the color or graphics but it seems like a pretty solid old bike for the price.

Also it has Wobler (Worbler?) Wheels. People don't seem to like them much. Would it be worth upgrading?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1041813159994115/
Old 12-15-21, 07:11 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
This is good, mid-range model for the era. at a very attractive price. The rim manufacturer is Wolber. I've never had any problem with them. Before I went spending any further money on upgrades, I'd spend a season riding the bicycle, to see if you really like it, as some people don't like oversize aluminum. A competent, fairly fit cyclist will easily average that pace for that distance on that bicycle. Once you're at that level of bicycle, spending a lot more, doesn't buy much difference in speed, unless it's something like an aero wheelset.
Old 12-15-21, 08:24 PM
RoadWearier

Not sure what over-sized aluminum is. Does that refer to the diameter of the frame tubing? Why don't people like it? Too harsh?
Old 12-15-21, 08:48 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Not sure what over-sized aluminum is. Does that refer to the diameter of the frame tubing? Why don't people like it? Too harsh?
Yes. Oversized tubing allowed them to not approach the same weight of steel...diameter-strength in aluminum.

i have that same bike (mine is a Crest version). It had a Tange steel fork that lessened the harshness of the front end. Won’t be a tourer but it’s an awesome frame. In fact all Dale frames were the same...only the components were different.

Shimano 105 is bomb proof. Best single pivot brakes I ever used.

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-16-21, 11:04 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I's a good bike and a good deal. I would agree with riding the bike before you start making a lot of changes as said you may find the OS tubing with a biopiece crank set a bit harsh, Good news is you can change the chain rings to standard Shimano fairly easy if you don't like the biopeacce.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 12-16-21, 03:45 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I's a good bike and a good deal. I would agree with riding the bike before you start making a lot of changes as said you may find the OS tubing with a biopiece crank set a bit harsh, Good news is you can change the chain rings to standard Shimano fairly easy if you don't like the biopeacce.
I'm actually anxious to try the bio-pace crankset. In theory, it should be easier on the knees, no?
My left knee is starting to act up under from time to time. Which is actually why I'm giving up the single speed. I guess people just didn't like the "feel" of the ovoid rings.

Are there any here who have actually tried them?
Old 12-16-21, 03:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,862 Posts
I'm actually anxious to try the bio-pace crankset. In theory, it should be easier on the knees, no?
My left knee is starting to act up under from time to time. Which is actually why I'm giving up the single speed. I guess people just didn't like the "feel" of the ovoid rings.

There are a few iterations. The touring and 105 Biopace was not subtle...the 600 stuff is actually a bit better.

I changed out the 105 Biopace for 600 round.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 12-16-21, 04:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
They seem to ride fine ounce you get used to changing your cadence a bit to go along the oblong rings. I have a steel Bio-pace small ring on one of my MTB's for climbing nice for slow speed hill climbing.
Old 12-16-21, 04:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
During the first year of production, the reviewers writing for Bicycling and Bicycle Guide who test-rode Biopace-equipped bikes rated them highly. But then Shimano, in a fit of hubris for which they later paid dearly, began forcing bike manufacturers who wanted to equip their bikes with Shimano components to (i) buy the whole Shimano component group for each bike model (no mixing and matching with components from other manufacturers) and (ii) accept the Biopace rings on all of the Shimano-equipped models, even the high-end racing bikes.

In fact, I remember attending a Shimano-sponsored clinic where former U.S. road racing champion Wayne Stetina, the head of marketing for Shimano USA, introduced that year's line of Shimano products to local Baltimore bike dealers. Alex, one of the smartest dealers I've ever met and a great guy, stood up midway through the Biopace presentation and said, "Am I understanding this right? Next year, all of the bikes with Shimano groups will have Biopace?"

That's right, Alex," Wayne said.

"So what am I supposed to do when a customer comes in, cash in hand, and asks for the same bike without Biopace?"

"Well, I hope you'll explain to the customrer the advantages of Biopace, such as . . . "

"You're not listening. Cash in hand!"

"Well, I guess you'll have to recommend another bike," Wayne said, smiling unhappily.

Alex was right, of course. Biopace isn't for everyone, and the magazine writers who had previously praised Biopace started hearing from racers who disliked the lumpiness of Biopace rings at cadences above about 90 rpm. And that's when the reviews turned sour, resulting in Shimano's first introducing Biopace II, with reduced eccentricity of the rings, and then dropping Biopace altogether.

It's too bad, because the utility of Biopace rings for casual riders and others who like to maintain a cadence below about 80 rpm was lost in the wholesale condemnation. In fact, there are still BikeForums posters who write things like, "I thought that Biopace was a bad design. I was right." The sainted Sheldon Brown, though, always openminded, loved his Biopace rings.

And, since I'm citing Sheldon B, here's his take on the myth that aluminum frames are harsh riding:

Did you know that:

• Aluminum frames have a harsh ride?
  • Titanium frames are soft and whippy?
  • Steel frames go soft with age, but they have a nicer ride quality?
  • England's Queen Elizabeth is a kingpin of the international drug trade?
All of the above statements are equally false.
Old 12-16-21, 05:10 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts

I bought a new SR500 back in 1989! It was my first really good bike. I sold it to my maintenance guy about 15 years ago, he still rides it (all components have been upgraded replaced, except for those awesome brakes!)
I never had an issue with the bio-pace chainrings. I was a big (over 200 lbs) strong rider, my previous bike I'd bend the frame on hill climbs, enough to rub the chain. My mechanic was/is a far stronger rider than I. He had previously broken several frames (two Gary Fisher I think). Like me, he loves the fat tube aluminum, but it is quite unforgiving. I probably couldn't ride it now.
Mine was turquoise, I'll have to get a picture of it from my mechanic.
Old 12-16-21, 07:32 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
Is this a decent bike? I'd like to use it for group rides. Really just starting out riding with groups. I realize some of this is based on my abilities, but can I conceivably keep up with 16 mph pace folks?

It's a 1987 Sr500. Per the catelogue has the "new" Shimano 105 groupset. It's an aluminum which I guess can be kind of rough over long distances. I'd be doing 30-40 mile rides. Is this enough bike or should I save for something better.better?
I also want something I can ride around the city without being to worried about it being stolen. Or at least not too upset if it does get stolen.

Guy says he'd take $160. It's been for sale for a while so I guess he's just sick of trying to sell it.

I dont really love the color or graphics but it seems like a pretty solid old bike for the price.

Also it has Wobler (Worbler?) Wheels. People don't seem to like them much. Would it be worth upgrading?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1813159994115/
As far as whether you can keep up, its all about the motor (you) and not the bike. I am reminded of the story Robbietunes told years ago, about this guy on a MTB complete with knobbie tires that passed Robbie while Robbie was out doing a spirited training ride on his high end racing bike. Robbie could never catch the guy, finally found him taking a break at a convenience store.

And sadly, where I live, pretty much any kind of bike gets stolen, even the crappy Walmart stuff. A Cannondale? Oh yeah, it could get stolen, no doubt. Its more about keeping it secured and out of sight (no leaving the bike on the front porch if you can see it from the street) and locking it securely. The best part for you if it does get stolen, its a $160 bike and not a $4,000 bike.

I sold a lot of rigid frame MTBs, with smooth tires, to serious triathletes on a tight budget (no knobbie tires). They did just fine.
Old 12-17-21, 08:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
During the first year of production, the reviewers writing for Bicycling and Bicycle Guide who test-rode Biopace-equipped bikes rated them highly. But then Shimano, in a fit of hubris for which they later paid dearly, began forcing bike manufacturers who wanted to equip their bikes with Shimano components to (i) buy the whole Shimano component group for each bike model (no mixing and matching with components from other manufacturers) and (ii) accept the Biopace rings on all of the Shimano-equipped models, even the high-end racing bikes....
I've never bought into the Shimano monopoly myth. While it has basis in fact, things seem to have become distorted and exaggerated over time. It appears to stem from SRAM's 1990 lawsuit. At the time, Shimano was encouraging bicycle companies to specify an all Shimano drivetrain, to ensure proper functioning of the indexing shift system. The incentive from Shimano was a discount, which SRAM thought unfair, as it discouraged dealers from specifying their twist shifters.

However, encouraging and "forcing" are two different things. Companies could spec SRAM's Gripshift or another shift lever, though it would cost them more. Shimano were only trying to protect their reputation. Using non-Shimano shift levers or other shift system components could negatively impact the shifting performance. Other indexing systems such as Accushift and Syncro had proven that that things did not neccessarily work well, even when they were designed to function together.

Also, if you look at pre-1990 bicycle specs, you'll find examples of bicycles that do not use a complete Shimano group. Admittedly, they are relatively rare, as most compannies saw advantage in an all Shimano bicycle, however they did exist. Usually, the non-Shimano components were low low profile parts, such as headsets, bottom brackets, pedals and hubs, the things to which most consumers don't pay too much attention.

Biopace only is also a myth. When Shimano introduced Biopace in 1983, there was only one Biopace crankset, a triple intended for ATB and Grand Touring bicycles. The first Biopace double crankset wasn't introduced until the 1986 model year, for New 600EX but it was only an option. You could still spec the standard version with round chainrings, as many European brands chose to do. As for high end road racing, I've never seen Dura-Ace equipped with Biopace, despite the fact that I competed during the Biopace era on a couple of Dura-Ace equipped bicycles and also own an almost complete set of Shimano literatue for the Biopace era. My personal impression has always been that the infiltration of Biopce though the product lines appears to have been driven primarily by the market and not by Shimano themselves.
Old 12-17-21, 09:20 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
nice bikes - i dont see a lot of brake rub on the rims (but the pic is pretty bad) -- Somebody looks to have already installed a wider range rear cassette, which is a plus. Appears to just need some cleaning up and naturally service the bottom bracket , hubs and headset as the bike is over 30 years old and the grease is likely vaporized by now

16 mph group ride? Sure - just being old doesnt mean its slow . These were capable race bikes