Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

is this type of brakes safe for kids bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 02:43 AM
totalnewbie

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 2 AXS, Tern Verge D9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

looking for a 14" bike for my 4-year-old. most bikes that I have seen are equipped with pneumatic tires with rim brakes. This particular one is equipped with foam tire with a brake system that I am not familiar with - it looks like something that press right up against the tread of the tire (I assume you can't use rim brake on plastic/foam) Would anyone know what the name of this brake system is and whether it is considered safe?

Old 03-02-22, 03:07 AM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
that is a really cheap design, and by cheap I mean not very good
the best type of brake for a small kid is the traditional coaster brake
young riders do not have the finger strength to use bar mounted brake levers effectively
but they do have the leg strength to use a coaster brake,
having a combination of hand and coaster brakes is also an excellent idea
that way they have the stopping ability of the foot brake, while getting used to hand brakes
Old 03-02-22, 07:05 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
That's similar to the spoon brakes that were used a century ago. They were not all that effective, though these may be sufficient for a young rider who won't be riding very fast. The key is that your child must have the finger span and strength to be able to use these. Many kids just can't use hand levers. Coaster brakes are the way to go.

I do like that they have the bike set up for the right-hand lever to actuate the front brake. That's the way I set my bikes up.
Old 03-02-22, 07:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
This isn't an answer to your question, but...

If your kid needs training wheels to operate a pedal bike, I wouldn't even go this route. Skip the training wheels and go with a balance bike, or a pedal bike with the crankset removed, and let them learn balance and pedaling separately - it'll be much easier for them and less frustrating for you. Their feet will be their brakes until they graduate to pedalling.

FWIW, my kids didn't have the hand strength to effectively use hand-actuated brakes until moving to discs.

​​​
Old 03-02-22, 07:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
This is one of the only handbrake setups I have seen that actually worked for a very small child:

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-02-22, 07:58 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 264 Posts
I see the OP is in Taiwan (Republic of China).

Oh yes definitely get that bike. Safety standards don't apply there, so any bike is fine
Old 03-02-22, 08:06 AM
Bigdarbs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That type of brake is very, very poor if the tyre is wet. I wouldn't buy it.
Old 03-02-22, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just going by looks, that's not a bike intended for serious riding by kids. It's more intended just for playing in the yard and driveway in a not very demanding way. Everything on the bike looks poorly made for the things a very active child will put it to use for.

I think it truly belongs in the toy category.
Old 03-02-22, 08:53 AM
totalnewbie

Originally Posted by WhyFi
This isn't an answer to your question, but...

If your kid needs training wheels to operate a pedal bike, I wouldn't even go this route. Skip the training wheels and go with a balance bike, or a pedal bike with the crankset removed, and let them learn balance and pedaling separately - it'll be much easier for them and less frustrating for you. Their feet will be their brakes until they graduate to pedalling.

FWIW, my kids didn't have the hand strength to effectively use hand-actuated brakes until moving to discs.
s
​​​
my kid has been riding on his balance bike and everytime he sees a tricycle he jumps on it, thus leading to me thinking of getting a pedal bike w/ training wheels so he could start developing his leg muscles (his legs are a bit weak, sometimes he goes kind of awkward pedaling a tricycle) and when he is used to that pedalling motion I will take the training wheel off. He is at an in-between height now (too short for a 16" but near the top end of a 14") once he grows a little more I want to get him a better-engineered one like woom. right now I just want to get him a filler bike to fill in over the next few months. anyway, off topic a bit but do you think a disc brake bike is easier to trigger? coz I also have this option in the photo

Old 03-02-22, 08:59 AM
totalnewbie

haha, indeed. the safety standard here is indeed different (if there is any) for once, it is actually not easy for me to find a bike with coaster brake. big name manufacturers like Giant or merida simply use a front and rear v-brake or caliper for their kiddies. I wanted to get a better bike that is specially designed for kids like woom or cleary. but they were marked up at a premium over here (one might think that most of these bikes are made in taiwan, I could get one for cheaper but no) "foreign" brands actually sell for a premium here.
Old 03-02-22, 09:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Just piling on here, but for a 4-year old I'd definitely get a balance bike. They don't need brakes at this age, they'll just use their feet, which also will help build confidence and balance. Training wheels don't teach them balance and seem to slow down the learning process.

My daughter learned on a 12" balance bike starting at 2, and made the transition to a 16" coaster brake pedal bike around 4 1/2 years old. She's 6 now, and still rides that same 16" bike. I'm really glad she has a coaster brake. She can easily skid the rear tire for fun (which I highly encourage) and I am also comfortable that she can quickly stop in an emergency situation. I don't think even now she'd have the hand strength to stop a rim brake bike quickly, plus those cheap calipers are a pain to keep adjusted.

For her next bike I'll probably go for a 20" with hand brakes, but will definitely look for a disc version. I hope to never buy a rim brake bike again.
Old 03-02-22, 09:57 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by totalnewbie
my kid has been riding on his balance bike and everytime he sees a tricycle he jumps on it, thus leading to me thinking of getting a pedal bike w/ training wheels so he could start developing his leg muscles (his legs are a bit weak, sometimes he goes kind of awkward pedaling a tricycle) and when he is used to that pedalling motion I will take the training wheel off. He is at an in-between height now (too short for a 16" but near the top end of a 14") once he grows a little more I want to get him a better-engineered one like woom. right now I just want to get him a filler bike to fill in over the next few months. anyway, off topic a bit but do you think a disc brake bike is easier to trigger? coz I also have this option in the photo
Sorry, I missed this post. My daughter struggled with learning to pedal as well, when she transitioned from her 12" balance bike to a 16" pedal bike.

I actually took the pedals off the 16" bike, lowered the seat all the way down, and let her use it as a bigger balance bike for a few months. When we started practicing with the pedals it was clear she had no idea how that worked, so I put the training wheels on for a few days so she could get the hang of it, without worrying about balancing. That seemed to do the trick and she was off and riding without training wheels after just a few tries.

You mentioned Giant as a bike you can get. They have a 16" kids bike sold in the US that has a front rim brake paired with a rear coaster:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/animator-c-b-16-2022

That's the same bike my daughter has, but without the front brake.
Old 03-02-22, 10:12 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t know if there are any bikes with coaster brakes available, but that is the way I would go. In my experience, there is no slow bike. If a surface has a down grade, kids will usually want to go faster.

The balance bike vs training wheels is a non-issue. People always want their method to be the best. If you already have a balance bike, get a pedal bike with training wheels, and a coaster brake. It won’t stunt his growth into cycling.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-02-22, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I have to guess that if the photographs that don't show the actual brake shoes are any indication, this is a token effort at putting brakes on the bike. I've never seen anything like that in the 21st century, so I'd think the burden is on the manufacturer to let you know how the brake is supposed to actually brake. Hard pass--that thing looks worse than nothing.

Definitely coaster brakes if you can get them.
Old 03-02-22, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
That's similar to the spoon brakes that were used a century ago. They were not all that effective, though these may be sufficient for a young rider who won't be riding very fast. The key is that your child must have the finger span and strength to be able to use these. Many kids just can't use hand levers. Coaster brakes are the way to go.

I do like that they have the bike set up for the right-hand lever to actuate the front brake. That's the way I set my bikes up.

I think there's no way to know what the required span and strength would be as they hide the way the shoe makes contact with the tire, and also what the shoe is actually made of. Also, kids can get a training wheel bike to go pretty fast
Old 03-02-22, 09:06 PM
totalnewbie

just noticed that the same giant kids bike (in this case animator) being sold in taiwan are spec'ed differently from those in USA. rear brake is a V-brake vs a coaster in USA. big price difference too (about half the price in taiwan)
Old 03-02-22, 09:33 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
I never would have imagined a simple coaster brake could add that much to the price of a bike
Old 03-02-22, 09:38 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I think it truly belongs in the toy category.
Exactly. I'm thinking foam tires are for indoor use to not damage flooring. For what this is for, brakes are there for looks.

Old 03-02-22, 09:42 PM
totalnewbie

Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
I never would have imagined a simple coaster brake could add that much to the price of a bike
Giant USA lists the bike for $295. taiwan is about $155 when converted. maybe it's the "bell" (absent on the Taiwan model) that contributes to that big price difference.
Old 03-02-22, 10:13 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Exactly. I'm thinking foam tires are for indoor use to not damage flooring. For what this is for, brakes are there for looks.
Have you seen the houses in Crazy Rich Asians?

Big enough to bike indoors, so definitely don't want to scuff any granite flooring.

Old 03-03-22, 03:41 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Agree, the bike in the OP looks like junk.
What ever you end up with, I'm sure the other posters will concur, any and every safety feature can, and will, be defeated by an enterprising child.
Old 03-03-22, 04:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by totalnewbie
my granddaughter is really small at 4 she is maybe 30 pounds and peddling was work. I broke down and bought her the smallest trek bike they made within a month we took the training wheels off. the cheap bikes are hard to ride.
Old 03-03-22, 04:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
OP's bike is junk.

As others have suggested, a balance bike is the way to go. Forget about training wheels too. Neither of my kids used training wheels and they learned to balance in an afternoon. Some of their friends who rode with training wheels made zero progress until they removed them, sometimes a year or more later!
Old 05-09-22, 09:13 PM
Specialized88ds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. no no no.

I'm new to this community and not a bike expert. But I do have an engineering background and from a physics standpoint, this is terrible. Pressure = Force / Area. The large the area, the larger the force must be to apply the same pressure. Small disc brakes or pad brakes have a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller area than this terrible design, and therefore a child (or anyone) will be able to achieve the proper pressure on the wheel to stop with much less force. So this is way less safe if a child needs to stop abruptly. Stopping distance will absolutely be longer than other brake types.

As for balance bikes: my two kids rode with training wheels and then I taught them without. Had neighbors with kids who used balance bikes. Neighbors kids did pick up pedaling a regular bike much quicker. But we're talking total training time of 2-3 hours over the course of a week to get my kids riding. Starting from atanding did take much longer for them, but either way is fine. Don't stress it.
Old 05-09-22, 09:15 PM
Specialized88ds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my granddaughter is really small at 4 she is maybe 30 pounds and peddling was work. I broke down and bought her the smallest trek bike they made within a month we took the training wheels off. the cheap bikes are hard to ride.
Agreed. Had a Royal Baby from Amazon that had the crank break. Cheap bikes are also much heavier, so parents do themselves a big favor as well. Life became much easier with Treks and Giants for me when I had to load/unload into the vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.