Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bike insurance?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 04:38 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

I've got a new ebike on order (supposed to be arriving in the next few weeks). It's the first bike I'm getting new in over 20 years, and I'm worried about it getting stolen.

There are plenty of threads about locks and alarms, but I haven't seen many about insurance. Has anyone here gotten a bike insurance policy (separate from their homeowners or renters insurance) and been in a situation where they needed to make a claim?
Old 03-15-22, 09:07 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I found that for a $7,000 e-bike the insurance was going to be close to $500 a year. I decided to go without insurance for it. If I had to leave a bike where it could be stolen it would be a bike that if stolen was readily replaced. With a $1500 non e-bike the bike would be covered by my homeowners or auto insurance. E-bikes are for good reason a target of thieves and there is no way at this time to disable one remotely as one can do with a stolen iPhone. The cost to insure reflects the amount of claims that the bike insurers are having to pay out at this time.

I left a bike locked to a post and it was stolen. After that experience I kept my bikes out of sight and I have not another one in the past 50 years. Bike racks, on the ground or on a car are not at all secure and not to be relied upon.
Old 03-16-22, 11:30 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
A nod to Calsun above, I investigated insurance a few years ago and found the premiums just too high for me. I think it's a function of "too small of a pool." I do have an umbrella policy for home/car/etc, but I'm not sure how well that would actually cover an very expensive bike. It's worth the time to research "best bike locking methods" and how to ensure you are using best practices.
Old 03-16-22, 01:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I had it for my bike and our tandem. it is expensive but it also covered the cost to fix the bike in a crash saved us almost the cost of that years payment. plus roadside service if our tandem is stuck in the middle of nowhere.since we don't have a car its the only insurance we pay.
Old 03-21-22, 05:19 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I had it for my bike and our tandem. it is expensive but it also covered the cost to fix the bike in a crash saved us almost the cost of that years payment. plus roadside service if our tandem is stuck in the middle of nowhere.since we don't have a car its the only insurance we pay.

Do you remember which company you got it from? There are a few out there now, and if I can find one that folks here have had good experience with, so much the better.
Old 03-21-22, 05:21 PM
fooferdoggie 

Veloinsurance.com
Old 03-22-22, 11:20 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
will be interested to hear what kind of pricing you discover.
Old 03-22-22, 09:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
will be interested to hear what kind of pricing you discover.
it is by the cost of the bike. with two bikes valued at about 7500 it is about 780.00 a year with road side service.
Old 03-24-22, 03:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
They call insurance a racket for a reason. For a house, or car, its compulsory. That, unfortunately, only aids the supply side more in the extortion. However, and I have no personal experience with this, but as I understand it, a standard comprehensive homeowners and even renters insurance policy covers bicycles. Even if stolen away from the address that is listed on the policy! E-bikes with their outlier valuation maybe a sticking point but I would investigate conventional insurance agencies first and if they won't or can't find it in their tiny ... sorry, if they decline coverage of the policyholders e-bike for any reason, I for one would treat that e-bike like any other high value but mobile accessory and not let it out of my sight away from home.

My e-bike is an $800 cargo bike and a $700+ Tong Shen mid-drive and $350+ high capacity 52V Li-Ion battery pack. The components are assembled but won't be road tested for a few more weeks. I have a heavy duty U-Lock that I was using when the bike was not powered. It scarcely looks any different with the e-assist. Super stealth. Cargo bikes are great for that. Still, if the worst should happen, I can stomach the loss and rebuild. I haven't heard of the insurance policy that didn't have a cash deductible that you have to cover first, and what happens to your premiums going forward if you ever have to file a claim? A $7G e-bike? Clearly a horse of a different color. I don't know ... should there be such a thing as a $7G e-bike? <running, ducking ...>
Old 03-24-22, 04:24 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
I've had two new bikes stolen, one a Christmas present for my son from my garage, and another locked in the back of a pickup truck. In bath cases my homeowners insurance covered the claim very fairly.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-15-22, 04:18 PM
joelhuebner 

Bikes: Have new RadRunner Plus, nothing on both missing: 2020 Rad Wagon 4 ORANGE, Trek 7100 gray & brown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velosurance

I've had them over a year, I'm working on a theft claim right now for my RadWagon 4. It sucks, but they cover the whole thing. On day 4 of the process. They are nice folks to work with. Not so expensive... a $3k cover on my RadWagon 4, around $50 a month or so.
Old 04-15-22, 04:19 PM
joelhuebner 

Bikes: Have new RadRunner Plus, nothing on both missing: 2020 Rad Wagon 4 ORANGE, Trek 7100 gray & brown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
veloinsurance.com
yup!