Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

changing crank set

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

changing crank set

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 08:29 PM
5 more
just 5 more miles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
changing crank set

I'm leaning towards changing my tourer from its present 105 road triple to a Sugino XD with 48/36/26 chainrings. The deraileurs are also 105 triple. My question is are the deraileurs going to work with the new crank? Will they work with a smaller granny ring?
The cassette is 13-32 and for now I'm using down tube shifters.
Any help is muchly appreciated.

Vin
Old 12-28-06, 09:47 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I have now done two conversion jobs swapping out road triples for MTB (Shimano) triples -- the first 22-32-44, the second your spec. I left the triple derailleurs on both times, and simply moved them down the seat tube so the outer plate was regulation height above the outer chainring. The shifting is acceptable for touring, and in the second case better than with the road triple. I don't know how a racer would regard the shifting, and frankly I don't care.

The three eessentials are to:

Get the chainline close (and that has to do with your BB, which you may have to swap out -- I am not familiar with how Sugino chainline compares with Shimano stuff, but Sheldon Brown's site will probably have a clue there -- www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline)

Get the derailleur at the right height (I think it's between 1.5 and 3mm).

Get the ramp on the outer plate on the derailleur that corresponds to the big chainring parallel with that ring by rotating the seat-tube clamp (and be aware that as you tighten the clamp, the derailleur position will change, so you have to sort of "estimate" the position it will end up in).

You might also need to make sure you start that by moving the derailleur down the seat tube to ensure that the back end of the cage doesn't foul the chainstay. Sometimes the margin there is pretty tight. If it does foul, you might have to look at an MTB deraileur... or devilishly, I'd look at doing a cut-and-shut job on the cage, but I won't go into that