Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Valite Quad Butted Steel tubing

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 10:23 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

What other tubings does this compare to? Just curious.
Old 03-08-08, 11:06 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Not sure, but it's not all that light as the name would suggest. I have two Club Fuji's, and even without wheels they're kind of hefty. I have no doubt it's strong though. Someday I need to get one of them on the road. It's about 4th in line though.,,,,BD

Old 03-08-08, 11:37 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I read somewhere that Valite tubing was developed specifically to be brazed by robots.

I've never been able to figure out what quad butted means. I can understand double and triple, but what's quad butting?

It seems to be very stiff tubing. It took more force than usual when I coldset a Valite frame.
Old 03-09-08, 12:12 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Fuji was one of the earliest companies to use quad butted tubing but I cannot find specs on the actual tubes... if they were like Ishiwata they drew tubing in a variety of thicknesses for different applications.

I have seen some really light bikes built with Ishiwata quad butted tube sets and know that quad butted does not always equal heavy.
Old 03-09-08, 12:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Quad butted tubes have 4 different thicknesses along their length... Ishiwata EXO M tubes are .9/.6/.5/0.8 mm and the EXO L is 0.8/0.5/0.4/0.7.
Old 03-09-08, 09:13 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Interesting. Would it be a better tube set than say Tange Infinity? A slightly heavier tubeset would likely be fairly ideal for a sport touring application I would venture to guess.
Old 03-09-08, 11:01 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Interesting. Would it be a better tube set than say Tange Infinity?
My guess is that it's very comparable to Tange Infinity. I've got a friend who's got a Fuji from the mid-'80's, its a lower end bike with Valite tubing. I think Valite is a vanadium steel alloy, not a chromoly.
Old 03-09-08, 12:30 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope it's good stuff... I have a Fuji mixte made out of it.
Old 03-09-08, 03:58 PM
GT2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
What other tubings does this compare to? Just curious.
I like my Fuji with this tubing. Very strong it is, carries me well, as I am just into Clydesdale territory. Also, I have signed the petition as listed in your signature. Good luck with that project. -GT2005
Old 03-09-08, 04:01 PM
GT2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Not sure, but it's not all that light as the name would suggest. I have two Club Fuji's, and even without wheels they're kind of hefty. I have no doubt it's strong though. Someday I need to get one of them on the road. It's about 4th in line though.,,,,BD
Having a bike be 4th in line is a good problem to have! -GT2005
Old 03-09-08, 04:59 PM
Bikedued

It is isn't it? Working 10 hours 5 days a week, and 8 hours on Saturday isn't very conducive to getting them done though On the bright side, having the bikes is half the fun IMHO.,,,BD
Old 06-02-10, 02:49 PM
guyneedsabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued

What would you say a bike like this is worth? I'm thinking of buying one as a commuter.
Old 06-02-10, 03:01 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
If it is the one on CL in SF CA, it is worth every penny if it is in good shape.

I have a Team, which is the next model up. The main triangle is 9658 chromo, but the seat/chain stays and fork are valite. I like it.

Last edited by beech333; 06-02-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 03:05 PM
Bikedued

Mine was like $15? Flea Market price though. I take back my earlier hefty statement. I have sense found the catalog page, and they
were 24 pounds give or take for frame size. 24 pounds is not all that bad considering. The derailleurs had steel parts, so now that I
have mine built up with Cyclone M-II, it's really nice. Rides like a dream, and no swimming bottom bracket out of the saddle. You'll
like it!,,,,BD
Old 06-02-10, 03:09 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
If it is the one on CL in SF CA, it is worth every penny if it is in good shape.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have Collin hunting that one

Nothing escapes us huh beech?
Old 06-02-10, 03:13 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Originally Posted by khatfull
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have Collin hunting that one

Nothing escapes us huh beech?
If he has to shed a PX10 and maybe a Le Champion, I'd say he doesn't need a Club Fuji.

Khatfull: As a word of advice, you might want to save yourself the trouble and set your sights higher. Sure, the Club is a fine ride, but once you get it, then you will want the Team, then the Opus, then the Pro, then the SR, then the...well, I am sworn to secrecy for now. Trust me, it will save you time in the long run. Scott and Jay never shared this advice with me and I learned it the hard way.

Last edited by beech333; 06-02-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 03:27 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If he has to shed a PX10 and maybe a Le Champion, I'd say he doesn't need a Club Fuji.

Khatfull: As a word of advice, you might want to save yourself the trouble and set your sights higher. Sure, the Club is a fine ride, but once you get it, then you will want the Team, then the Opus, then the Pro, then the SR, then the...well, I am sworn to secrecy for now. Trust me, it will save you time in the long run. Scott and Jay never shared this advice with me and I learned it the hard way.
Haha...the difference between you, Scott, Jay and myself is that I go for the later models (Scott is shocked anyone wants any of them 86 and later ). So while the thought of an Opus is great...it'd have to be an Opus V. I like the "Miami Vice" direction Fuji went sometime after 86

A Team would be next on the list. The 89 looks good to me

Oh, and I should add that Collin expressed interest in a Fuji...I told him for the price that Club would be a hard ride to beat.
Old 06-02-10, 03:29 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I guess the quad butting could result in a stiffer tubeset as it might place more steel farther down the tube, away from the lugs, but as some have mentioned, it could mean a slight weight penalty. I did remember looking over brand new Fujis in my LBS back in the 80's and finding them not specially light in weight. I thought they weigh similar to bikes made with Columbus Tretubi tubsets. I was more impressed with the Fuji's flawless build quality and finish back then, and considered the whole quad butted thing more of a marketing gimmick. JMOs
Frankly, I can see quad butting more appropriate with track frames where ultimate stiffness comes into play.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 06-04-10 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For Chombi:
Old 06-02-10, 03:42 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Originally Posted by khatfull
Scott is shocked anyone wants any of them 86 and later
I have to agree with him from '87 and on, except for the Design Series. The red/white one is a beauty.

For '86, the Team, TS IV, and TS V are nice bikes.
Old 06-02-10, 04:01 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The team Fuji that I sold to my friend was made from that. It was fairly light but not exceptionally so, and I never really liked how it rode. Pretty stiff but it just didn't feel good like the Columbus and Reynolds bikes I've ridden.
Old 06-04-10, 05:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I guess the quad butting could result in a stiffer tubeset as it might place more steel farther down the tube, away from the lugs...
Huh?!
I always assumed that the maximum wall thickness was used at the ends where they engage the lugs - is this not so?
Old 06-04-10, 05:29 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think it would be a really good frame for criteriums... i am thinking about seekung one out to use for racing, with a modern drivetrain
Old 06-04-10, 05:41 PM
Bikedued

I think he meant, that there was more steel out further, because the butting had four stages of thickness. Therefore, there would be thicker steel past where a double butted tube would already be at it's thinnest.,,,,BD

All I know is that they ride nice and smooth, lively, and not very much flex at all out of the saddle. A nice combo if you ask me.
Old 06-04-10, 06:38 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Huh?!
I always assumed that the maximum wall thickness was used at the ends where they engage the lugs - is this not so?
I'm thinking that it would resist any bending down the full legnth of the tube (although slight) as I suspect there would be some in high stress situations like sprints and hard climbing. forces tend to find a path to least resistance, so there should be stress radiating away from the lugs and into the legnth of the tubes in some fashion which should translate into some deflection/bending.

Chombi
Old 06-07-10, 03:47 PM
guyneedsabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the SR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.