Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Victoria and Salt Spring Island, BC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 07:47 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not exactly a "tour" I guess, but we'll be staying In Victoria for two nights, then heading up to to Salt Spring Island for three. I figure we'll ride up to Sydney and take the ferry over from there.

Any suggestions for routes, day trips, or stuff to see would be most appreciated.
Old 07-30-08, 12:55 AM
JohnyW
Cycled on all continents

Bikes: see homepage (currently only in German)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

the view from Mt. Mawell is nice. I also liked the Ruckle Park. Pictures can be seen on my homepage.

Thomas
Old 08-03-08, 09:23 PM
RickL

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can't say much about Saltspring, although I have ridden there. It's hilly pretty much wherever you ride and you won't have much trouble covering the whole island in no more than a day or two.

In Victoria don't miss the Galloping Goose/Lochside regional trail. The Galloping Goose (named for a rickety self-powered rail car that used to travel the route when it still had rails) trail winds through Langford, Metchosin and Sooke, ending at the site of an old mining community called Leachtown (nothing left there to see unfortunately).

The Lochside trail splits off from the Galloping Goose before it leaves Victoria and goes all the way to the ferry to Saltspring. I highly recommend it over riding the highway to Sidney.

Other nice routes include the seaside route around Victoria using Dallas Rd and Beach Drive (if you follow it far enough you can connect to the Lochside Trail), West Saanich Road for an alternate, but hilly, route to Sidney and Metchosin Road through the rural area of Metchosin (crossed by the Galloping Goose trail in several places). You may also want to try a day trip to Shawnigan Lake via the ferry from Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay. Don't bother will the Transcanada Highway over the Malahat unless you want a challenging climb with lots of traffic.

Most people who visit Victoria tour the Buchard Gardens, built on the site of an old quarry, Beacon Hill Park is nice (you'll ride through it if you take the seaside route) and downtown Victoria, especially the section near the Parliment Buildings and the Empress Hotel, is nice to walk through.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy visiting as much as I enjoy living here.
Old 08-04-08, 02:02 PM
5 more
just 5 more miles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the Island. One of my favorite routes is to take the Brentwood - Mill Bay ferry and take the back roads through Cobble Hill to Cowichan Bay. Make sure you check the bakery in Cow Bay. From there you take the back roads east of Duncan towards Crofton where you can board the ferry to the north end of Salt Spring. Just a heads up that there is a big hill heading out of Fulford on the south end and a big climb out of Ganges to Fulford Harbour and the ferry. It's a very nice route with minimal time on the hiway. Sorry I don't road names as I've misplaced the map and the mind is pulling a blank right now.