Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Moving 7.5 FX Components to a Crosscheck?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 04:21 PM
IP Freely

Bikes: 2011 Felt F5, 2013 Kona Jake (stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm tiring of the 7.5FX that I've been using for about 8 months of urban commuting. It's the 2010 model with Deore LX components and an Octalink crank. Stock except for some dual platform pedals and a bontrager rear rack.

I'm looking for a new project and considering building up a Crosscheck for commuting duty. Aside from ditching the trigger shifters for brifters (I'd like drop bars on the crosscheck), would most of my components be movable onto the crosscheck frame? I'm specifically concerned about the BB/crank, but would also appreciate any knowledge you guys have on the rack, cassette, derailleurs, etc. If this project is going to turn into buying an entire new bike, I might put it to bed. Whatever happens, I will not be keeping the SSR wheels and Bontrager hard case tires.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-11, 04:46 PM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it should be an easy swap, the compact double crank should fit just fine. The Cross-Check is an awfully heavy rig compared to a 7.5, especially if you are going to outfit it with all of the typical commuter accoutrements. Sounds like a fun project, I love my Cross-Check as my go-to commuter.
Old 12-04-11, 04:58 PM
IP Freely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a triple crank. Right now the FX is my only bike, so it's doing double duty as a commuter and my fitness bike. Looking to build up a dedicated commuter (crosscheck) and pick up a CAAD10 for my road rides, so I'm no longer concerned about weight on my commuter. What do you think the difference in frame/fork weight is, a pound?
Old 12-04-11, 05:07 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crank is a mountain triple, so chain line will be off, it's also a MTB front derailleur which won't work (well) with brifters. Wheels and rear cassette will work, although most brifters these days at a low price point like 105 are all 10 speed so the casette is workable.

Brakes are V's? No good with brifters. Easy swapover parts are wheels and rear derailleur. I don't see value in stripping down the FX for that.

There are ways around stuff to make some of the other parts work, but it's still going to be frankenbike'ish. I'd buy the CC frame and pick up parts as I could afford, once it's built then look at flipping the FX as is to put $ back in the piggybank.
Old 12-04-11, 05:17 PM
IP Freely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I figured there would be some problem with the MTB components since I haven't seen any Crosschecks with those sort of setups.
Old 12-04-11, 05:21 PM
boro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swapped mtb components to a commuter frame and it was bad enough (and I'm not using drops). However, the bike I pulled the components off of was too small for me and could never be sold for the value of said components.

I don't see the point in stripping a year old bike unless you're broke.
Old 12-04-11, 05:29 PM
IP Freely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm not that unhappy with the FX, I actually think it's a great bike. But it was my first real bike purchase and I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted/needed. Now that I have some miles under my belt, I have a better idea. I'm also just kind of looking for a new project to wrench on, but not looking to spend much more than the cost of the Crosscheck frame plus some incidentals. Looks like I'm better off just hanging tight for a while.
Old 12-04-11, 10:21 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could do this. The cross check is versatile. You would solve a few of the problems with bar end shifters on the drop bars and some Cane Creak or similar road levers for V brakes. This will work with what you have, and it's cheaper simpler set up with less to go wrong than brifters. Which IMHO is what you want in a commuter. I like brifters on road bikes, but for a daily do everything bike I think there are better options.

On the other hand, I can't imaging the Trek frame will have much resale value, so you'll be sitting on that. Why not sell the Trek as a complete and buy a Cross Check complete, or a CC frame and spend the winter scouring the web for parts, and do your own build come spring. (my preference).