Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear rack for Kona ***** Inc?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 02:10 PM
bryane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up a ***** Inc. Its a steel frame bike with disk breaks. There are braze-on's on the back but they are about 2-3 inches up the frame, above the disks. I'd like to attach a rear rack to these but I am having trouble finding one that has shorter 'legs' that would meet up nicely with the brazeons (most racks would sit very high if attached to these).

Anyone out there with a ***** Inc had any luck with this?
Old 01-09-12, 02:19 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did but I modified mine. Ill post a pic in a few.

Before I leveled it a bit better.

Its a topeak rack that I modified to make work. You have to be careful doing this as most cheap racks will just break if you try to bend them. IIRC there are some other small racks that have a bracket which pushes them back and down that will work as well.

Last edited by pityr; 01-09-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 12:50 PM
cartcrasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem. After using a cheap rack from Performance for a year, I finally got tired of it. It worked fine with my panniers, but looked bad to my eye. I looked at every imaginable rack I could find on the internet, but none seemed to be short enough, and if they were, I was worried that I wouldn't have any heel clearance. I finally just got the courage to bend my cheap aluminum rack with a pair of pliers. It took a bit of convincing, and it cracked the powdercoat, but I put a 90 degree bend in it and now it sits quite nicely. I've used it for a few months now in quite cold temps carrying 20-50lbs on average with no problems that I can tell. The aluminum seems to be holding up well.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Old 01-21-12, 01:13 PM
bryane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I found a rack for my bike! I went around to every shop I could find and eventually I notice a rack on an electric bike (emoto) that looked like it would fit. We couldnt figure out how to order one, so the owner of the shop called emoto and just asked for a replacement. I didnt end up paying for it, so I dont know how much it was...

Its nice because it has some good adjustability, especially on the downward legs. Even better, the adjustment is kind of diagonal so as you make the legs longer, it goes farther away from the pedals. Anyways, here are some quick pictures of it, I am still working on adjusting it to be where I want it but this is the basic setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xP1216477.jpg (98.2 KB, 38 views)
xP1216476.jpg (98.8 KB, 32 views)
xP1216479.jpg (95.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-22-12, 10:27 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bryane
Hey, I found a rack for my bike! I went around to every shop I could find and eventually I notice a rack on an electric bike (emoto) that looked like it would fit. We couldnt figure out how to order one, so the owner of the shop called emoto and just asked for a replacement. I didnt end up paying for it, so I dont know how much it was...
Make sure you keep giving that shop your business, they sound like they really went out of their way for you.
Old 01-29-12, 10:07 PM
Willwalt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for a rack too for my 2010 ***** Inc. Think I found the same rack "Avenir Universal Rear Rack- Disc Compatible". Found it on Amazon. Check it out.
Old 01-30-12, 11:05 AM
bryane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I tried the "Avenir Universal Rear Rack- Disc Compatible" rack and it would not fit. My local store (a different one) actually had it in stock. The legs are too short by about 1-2 inches and unless you were to make them longer there is no possible way to make it fit.

The weird thing is that the top of the rack is exactly the same as the one I have. In my eyes, the same factory that is making the rack for Avenir is making the rack that I mentioned above.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-12, 10:29 AM
bryane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Im sorry but the business was going out of business when I got the rack. Its no longer around so I can't find out which model EMOTO bike it was. The only other clue that I have is that Avenir makes a similar rack.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-12, 11:20 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use one like this for my raised eyelets. 24" wheel compatible.
Old 03-19-12, 10:43 AM
eddy183

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll figure something out.
Old 03-19-12, 10:46 AM
eddy183

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MichealW - Thanks. I don't like the sliding adjustment. I would prefer an extendable fixed mount version but thanks for the suggestion.