Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Which GPS device? Etrex - Oregon - ???

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 05:40 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'd appreciate your advices one what GPS device i should use for road cycling. I am doing quite some night long distance riding (~200 kms) and i would like to have more information about directions and ride.

I am currently thinking of Garmin Etrex 30 but not completely sure whether the screen size and controls are suitable for my purposes. Etrex is my favorite now, but perhaps Oregon would be a better choice? Or maybe something like Edge 500?

Basically I need three types of infomation: where I am right now, where should i take the next turn and how many kilometeres left. Navigation has priority number one, and I am not yet into training gadgets. That puts handhelds a bit higher on my list than Edge series.

When using a smartphone I'd slow down, check the map for the next turn and go ahead. I ride on paved roads so speed is rather high but I don't mind to drop to 10 km/h, I just don't want to stop riding.

Currently my choice #1 is Etrex 20/30 for they are light, have good battery life and not very expensive. Also good for other outdoor activities. How comfortable are they for cycling? Is the screen size big enough for slower speeds? Does it have a buzzer to warn you about the next turn? What's your overall (cyclists) impression with Etrex devices?

I am really thrilled with it's battery life, 25 hours sounds great. If it was less I would have decided for Oregon 450 already. I like the touch screen that Oregon has but does it provide far more superior user experience comparing to Etrex?

Another question about Etrex/Oregon - can you charge them directly via usb interface?

Or should i get something like Edge 500 for cycling and handhelds for other activities? How usefull is it for providing directions? I am not considering Edge 800, it's a bit too expensive, though i might get Edge 605 or 705 off Ebay.

Thanks,
M.
Old 08-29-12, 06:04 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you want to do 200k rides at night you'll want something that can take a replacement battery. I'm not sure if the Edge units have a battery you can just swap out, the eTrex and Oregon take AA batteries IIRC.

The touchscreen / button interface question is a matter of preference rather than absolute right and wrong. I use a Montana and love it. Before the Montana I had a 60CSx and loved that too.

If you configure a route it will beep at you to warn you of a turn, and you can have fields set up to show you your speed, distance to destination, distance to next turn etc. The main issue you may find (especially if you're riding brevets) is that the route the GPS chooses may not be the same as the one on the route sheet. What I do is code the route as a track, then tell the GPS to follow the track, then just keep an eye on the GPS. It does mean I get no warning if I go off course but also means I can see where I'm meant to go as a nice fat purple line on the map and it goes exactly where I told it to go rather than attempting to route me along the way.

If you're riding at night be aware you'll use the backlight so 25 hours is unlikely to happen for you.
Old 08-31-12, 06:39 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
I use an eTrex 30 and I like it a lot. The non touch screen is better for a biking GPS, IMO - it keeps the screen cleaner and it can be operated while wearing gloves. You can download Open Street Maps for free, which I believe in North America at least can be used for turn by turn navigation. I've got the mount that allows me to put it on the stem of my bike, which is a perfect spot for it. The screen size isn't huge, but it is large enough to clearly see the map and upcoming streets. However, it cannot be charged via USB - you have to take the batteries out and charge them separately.

Last edited by The Chemist; 08-31-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 08:37 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I had an oregon and it is a great gps but is a little big on the bike.. you may consider the Dakota 20 which has similar specs as the oregon but is just a little smaller.
Old 09-01-12, 09:07 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
I had an oregon and it is a great gps but is a little big on the bike.. you may consider the Dakota 20 which has similar specs as the oregon but is just a little smaller.
Agreed. The Dakota will also interface with the same speed/cadence and HR monitors that the Edge 205/305/605/705 used also. And there's a bike mount made by Garmin for it.
Old 09-01-12, 12:52 PM
QueueCT

Bikes: 1988 Giordana Capella | 1994 Cannondale T700 | 2007 Co-Motion Periscope

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contango is right about the use of a track rather than a route to make sure the cue sheet matches up with what the GPS tells you. One note, though, is that you can insert waypoints on your route (at turns, for example, or controls for you Audax folks) that you can show as data elements on the map. I name my waypoints as L Main St, R Elm St, etc and put the next waypoint box on my map as well as the distance to next in another box. I will always know how far I am from my next turn and by naming my waypoints appropriately, what to do at that turn. An additional cue sheet clipped to your bars or bag is good insurance.
Old 09-01-12, 01:23 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
make sure if you choose the dakota you get the model 20 and not the 10 - the 10 does not support microsd cards..
Old 09-01-12, 02:37 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by QueueCT
contango is right about the use of a track rather than a route to make sure the cue sheet matches up with what the GPS tells you. One note, though, is that you can insert waypoints on your route (at turns, for example, or controls for you Audax folks) that you can show as data elements on the map. I name my waypoints as L Main St, R Elm St, etc and put the next waypoint box on my map as well as the distance to next in another box. I will always know how far I am from my next turn and by naming my waypoints appropriately, what to do at that turn. An additional cue sheet clipped to your bars or bag is good insurance.
Yep, I always set controls as waypoints and then set the GPS to give me a proximity alarm when I get within 150m or so of them. It's good to make sure I don't zone out and fly by an information control.
Old 09-03-12, 03:37 AM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody. I've just ordered an Etrex 30. After reading your thoughts i think the second choice is Dakota 20, not Oregon. The size of the device is a good point. I'm going to continue riding through the winter with thick gloves on, Etrex is probably better, but let's see.

Just to make sure, how readable do you find Dakota's screen? I know it's not the best but is it good enough too see things while riding?

Thanks for the waypoint advice. I do prefer tracks to autorouting feature, marking waypoints will make it even easier.

No, i am not riding brevets (yet), as I can't fit them in my schedule. Instead i am riding to work some 100 - 120 kilometers one way depending on the route ( i switched to 70% home office for this year), Tuesday there and Wednesday back. There are something like 8-10 nice options how to get there and track navigation should help to speed up my rides a little.

Last edited by mikhalit; 09-03-12 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 12:05 AM
David Chen

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Dakota 20. I've been pretty happy with it--the screen can be a bit difficult to read in the shade, but I've never not been able to read it while riding. The touch screen isn't the same kind as a phone's--I've been able to operate mine just fine with gloves, though precision with or without gloves is a little tricky if you're trying to mark a specific point on a map.

While the Dakota does work with the cadence/speed sensor, it doesn't read speed from it, only cadence. This disappointed me as I wanted to be able to determine my "speed" while on a bike trainer.

I haven't used an Etrex before, but the thing about the Etrex 30 that seems interesting is the GLONASS support, which the Dakota doesn't have. No idea how helpful that is in practice, though.