Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Craigslist just seems too overvalued...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 04:53 PM
drat_bklyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new (to me) road bike, and am trying to determine the best way to find it. I'm generally fond of craigslist for these types of purchases (newness not being all that important to me, and a fan of the second-hand bargain), but the problem is that the NYC c-list bike market is completely over the top. To the point that I think it might actually cost me more to get a c-list bike than a comparable new one (comparable being the key word).

Take a look at the following search (my size, $500-$1200).

new york bicycles classifieds "56|56cm|57|57cm|58|58cm" - craigslist

What comes up in the road bike category are some 80s models that are priced for 'vintage' value (I like vintage, but I prefer when I get it cheaply); a number of 'pristine condition' 10-15 year old bikes whose dura-ace/ultegra/105 components are (as I understand it) no better than shimano's current mainstream componentry (even if they were new, which they aren't). And then there are the closeout resellers (the 2013 redline seems to fit that bill).

Trade any of these against what you could buy new at an LBS -- which gives you current trickle-down technology, warranty, and service -- and I'm just not sure it's worth the c-list search. Anyone see it differently? Am I not giving older components their due? Is there anything in this list that I might want to reconsider?

I bought a great single speed commuter off c-list a couple of years back -- not a screaming deal, but a good one -- and I've loved the bike. Was hoping to find another, but am starting to think that was lightning in a bottle and I just won't catch it again.

As for my new bike (since I did ask if there's something to reconsider), I'm looking for an all-rounder road bike with a good gear range -- I'm training for a sprint triathlon and would like to do an olympic length next year, but I'm also interested in spending some afternoons poking around some of the back roads upstate. So zippy, but comfortable.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 06-02-14, 05:01 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yup - NYC. Pretty bad on Portland's C-List during the summer as well. Barely used within 2-3 years should be no more than 50% of MSRP. When it creeps up to 60-75%, why not catch a new one on sale and enjoy all the benfits (warranty, fitting, an tune-up or two, etc.)?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 06-02-14, 05:45 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Cocaine's a hell of a drug!!!

I thought L.A. was overpriced but there are down right bargains here compared to NYC>

I saw a new looking CAAD9 with 105 with an asking price of $750 recently. In NYC you get:

CANNONDALE R800 (105 GROUP)

Cannondale R1000 ( 58cm

Cannondale Road, CAAD 5 Slice Prodigy--with Ksyrium Elites

Top of line bike at entry level price. Cannondale Cad 3

A guy on these very forums bought a brand new Surly Steamroller for $500 last month

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...new-surly.html

NYC CL gets you a used one for $650

SURLY Steamroller Single Speed

Bianchi pista for $750 (pretty sure I can get a new one for $700 in LA)

Bianchi Pista Dalmine - Single Speed, Track Bike

Time to move! The world has gone insane out there. There have been some really good deals on ebay lately. Even with shipping you will do better than what is on your local CL
Old 06-03-14, 06:15 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You can search Ebay, with a Zip Code radius if you want to buy locally to avoid shipping and maybe get to see it first. Worth a try.

CL around here is worthless too. Mostly old rusty Huffys for $150.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-03-14, 02:24 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a nice Rodriguez (custom steel) off CL for a deal, but I think it was because I wasn't looking for it, I stumbled across it. I saw what looked like a screaming deal on a steel Serotta w full DA but I when I called it was already gone. I think it's a matter of checking and getting lucky if you want something now-ish it just doesn't happen. A lot of people putting lipstick on pigs too.
Old 06-03-14, 02:55 PM
mlander

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not just the used market. The sport is wildly over-priced across the board from top to bottom. Do I have evidence to back that up? Not really. It's just how I feel.
Old 06-03-14, 03:07 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
2nd hand resellers trying to get the maximum buck for their bang. Haggle with them. They're opening high, which is only right. If they don't budge, leave your number and say "if you reconsider..." If they don't find a seller in a week, you might get a call. If you never get a call back, that'll tell you that the market actually is priced higher than you think.

The good news is, if you have bikes that you don't use, now's the time to offload them.
Old 06-03-14, 09:36 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
My personal favorite:
Cannondale R1000 ( 58cm

Title: Cannondale R1000 ( 58cm - $1000
Total text of post:
Cannondale R1000 road bike. 58cm frame . This bike is fast and light.
Please don't bother emailing me with lower offers. This bike is worth it

Yeah, definitely not worth it...You can find a good CAAD10 for only a little more....
Old 06-03-14, 10:52 PM
schiiism
Yogi on Wheels

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Diva Dura-Ace, 2012 Fuji Finest, 1986 Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CL is really hit and miss. I combed LA, OC, and San Diego Craigslist ads for the perfect Fuji for three months before I caught an absolute steal five minutes after it was posted. The deals are out there, just have to be patient and know what you want IMHO
Old 06-04-14, 01:32 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you just don't know how to use CL in NYC. The good deals go FAST so you have to check frequently. I sold two 58cm bikes this spring - the first was gone in <12 hours, the second in <24 hours because I price stuff low. Instead you're seeing the same crap that gets reposted every week that no one wants because it's overpriced. There are MANY people like you in NY looking to save a few bucks buying used, so it's a competitive market. There are many flippers looking to lowball sellers too. Also, check eBay and filter by distance - many sellers are happy to avoid the hassle of packing a bike if you will pick it up. Many will drive and meet you too. Keep looking and you will find something.
Old 06-04-14, 02:08 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will find a great deal on the same bike you just bought 2 weeks later! Count on it.
Old 06-04-14, 06:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
You just have to be willing to travel a bit or watch the nyc cl like a hawk. When I'm after something I search a 200 mile radius.

These are all pretty good deals if you can work on bikes. I'd swap out some of the parts on some of them personally and one is bare frameset...

90's Men's Miele Road Bike (Dura Ace 6sp) - 56cm
Serotta Colorado II frame/fork
23" Centurion Accordo RS Men' Road Bike
Fuji Bicycle for sale

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-04-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 08:27 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
What seems to be the case here, looking at locales of listers (many photos have same background as well) is that there's 3 -5 serious flippers, a co-op, and a recycled bike store. Then I think the individual sellers see those prices and think they can do the same without any elbow grease, new tires , etc. Then that thins the pool of what the flippers have available and it keeps snowballing. Garage sale treasures and CL bargains are getting harder and harder to find. Miyata 912's and ilk in lesser condition are going for 3 to 4 times what I found mine for a few yrs or so ago.
Old 06-06-14, 08:03 AM
kcollier5

Bikes: Felt F2

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It happens in every area. The bike below has been on the local CL every two weeks or so. Early on, I actually emailed the seller and very nicely suggested that they might think about lowering the price and showed them some comps. They did NOT appreciate my email, the bike is DEFINITELY worth WAY more than they are asking. Oops. Guess I shouldn't have said anything. Now almost two years later, they are still posting it!

Superior Bicycle NSR Sports racing Italian
Old 06-06-14, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Remember the prices you're seeing on CL are asking prices.

Askin ain't gettin.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-06-14, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
got any friends up here in MASS? we have a decent market for used bikes. funny enough though, I bought my 1st used (project) bike in CT for $20. maybe widen your search?
Old 06-06-14, 10:28 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Remember the prices you're seeing on CL are asking prices.

Askin ain't gettin.
Agreed. Just email them an offer and see what they say. If they still want to keep the ridiculous price, their loss.
Old 06-06-14, 11:39 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Either there a lot of people who really think their bikes are worth more than they really are, or they're fishing for suckers. On CL, there may be a lot who want to get the best price they can, and highball in the add, inviting some barter. I can live with that.

The thing that gets me is the growing number of listings I see on E-Bay with ridiculously high opening bids (usually at or a little above the actual value) and "Buy it now" prices of double that. I see a lot of these get re listed several times, then eventually sell.

There's one born every minute.