Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spoke tension

Old 12-11-21, 05:30 PM
mrwang199432

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spoke tension

Hey!

Went to get my rear wheel trued at my LBS, it's true now but the spoke tension is pretty uneven on the NDS side.

Do I need to go back to the LBS?
Old 12-11-21, 07:17 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwang199432
Hey!

Went to get my rear wheel trued at my LBS, it's true now but the spoke tension is pretty uneven on the NDS side.

Sure, take it back if you're not happy with their work.

But out of curiosity, did you address this when you picked it up? How are you measuring the tension?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-11-21, 08:44 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Is it uneven between the spokes on the NDS or is the NDS lower overall compared to the DS? If it's uneven between the spokes on the NDS take it back or try to fix it yourself.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-11-21, 10:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Is it uneven between the spokes on the NDS or is the NDS lower overall compared to the DS? If it's uneven between the spokes on the NDS take it back or try to fix it yourself.
This is the pertinent question. Implicit is the understanding that tension on the non-drive is usually less than the drive and expected to be that way. As long as the wheel is straight and true. As cxwrench says, if between the spokes on one side, bring it back.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-12-21, 03:04 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This is the pertinent question. Implicit is the understanding that tension on the non-drive is usually less than the drive and expected to be that way. As long as the wheel is straight and true. As cxwrench says, if between the spokes on one side, bring it back.
Check out the video beginning at 3:50ish point BRACING ANGLE >>>

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 12-12-21, 04:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
On a bike that’s been (ab)used, sometimes you get into a tradeoff between how true you want the wheel and how even you want the spoke tension.
If the rim as such is bent, you simply can’t hit both true and even tension simultaneously.
No way to tell from here if your wheel is as good as circumstances will allow, or if it’s poor work.
Likes For dabac:
Old 12-12-21, 05:53 AM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a newish wheel, 2 months old. Pretty basic axis sport wheels. Was a little untrue so the LBS offered to true it. Went home and realised that yes the wheel is more true, but the spoke tension on the NDS is all over the place. The DS side seems even though
Old 12-12-21, 11:56 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
IMHO, asking your LBS to tension the spokes and true the wheel is different than having him just true the wheel. This is based on an argument back in 1993, with a LSB about the wheels on a new bike I just purchased . It’s the age old, solve the problem or treat the symptom.

“The Bicycle Wheel”, by the late Jobst Brandt describes a wheel trueness in terms of radial, lateral, and center, as seen in the Park video. The book also goes into torsional load and stiffness. I always wondered why I could get trueness while my tension had wild variance. Once I noticed fewer spokes on wheels it occurred to me that a 24 versus a 36 spoke wheel could explain poor spoke tension uniformity (rear or front wheel). Essentially, I’m may be using fewer spokes to obtain stiffness while using the extra spokes to obtain trueness.
Likes For jlmonte:
Old 12-12-21, 12:46 PM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, spoken to a few people who have said usually when you take a wheel to the LBS to get rid of any wobble, they usually true the wheel and as a result creates spoke tensions variances.

I know it should always be relatively equal but I wonder how many people are riding with wheels which have tension variances...
Old 12-12-21, 01:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I know it should always be relatively equal but I wonder how many people are riding with wheels which have tension variances...
Virtually everyone, since you didn't specify a tolerance.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-12-21, 01:14 PM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
haha, I dont have a tension meter, I am just going by sound.

And yes i'm referring to uneven tensions relating to just the NDS. I am aware the DS spoke tension will be higher.
Old 12-12-21, 01:37 PM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heres a quick vid

https://imgur.com/a/fIlC6gM
Old 12-12-21, 02:26 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Hey!

It might not be possible truing a used wheel and have even spoke tension at the same time. Forcing even spoke tension would likely un-true the wheel.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 12-12-21, 02:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Don't have, can't afford, don't trust, can't wait, to far... bike shops. And many other reasons for doing this yourself. It's not hard. For me with bike shops 40 miles off getting the tools needed to do this at home cost less than a few trips of gas... Ha

And don't get me wrong... I love bike shops and thier people... But times are a changing...
Old 12-12-21, 02:44 PM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based off my video, do you think the tension difference is that bad? Can i keep riding...
Old 12-12-21, 04:33 PM
cxwrench

Based off my video, do you think the tension difference is that bad? Can i keep riding...
If the wheel is straight and centered it doesn't matter, it is what it is. If you add or remove tension it won't be centered.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-12-21, 05:01 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
If the wheel is straight and centered it doesn't matter, it is what it is. If you add or remove tension it won't be centered.
It certainly does matter. The main cause of spokes breaking is uneven tension. A wheel needs to be both true and have even spoke tension. Small variances in tension are OK, but if they're all over the place the wheel will not be as strong and that's when spokes start breaking. That's why they make a special tool to measure it, and that should be included when any bike shop trues a wheel. If they don't have a tensionometer (or don't use it), that's not where you want to have your wheels serviced.
Old 12-12-21, 07:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
It's not as simple as adding or removing tension. In order to keep tension fairly even while also truing the wheel, you can often choose to loosen one while tightening the next one over (from the same side) to achieve similar trueness. Whether that is the case for the OP in this situation is up for debate.
Old 12-12-21, 07:44 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
It certainly does matter. The main cause of spokes breaking is uneven tension. A wheel needs to be both true and have even spoke tension. Small variances in tension are OK, but if they're all over the place the wheel will not be as strong and that's when spokes start breaking. That's why they make a special tool to measure it, and that should be included when any bike shop trues a wheel. If they don't have a tensionometer (or don't use it), that's not where you want to have your wheels serviced.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's not as simple as adding or removing tension. In order to keep tension fairly even while also truing the wheel, you can often choose to loosen one while tightening the next one over (from the same side) to achieve similar trueness. Whether that is the case for the OP in this situation is up for debate.
delete
Old 12-12-21, 10:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It might not be possible truing a used wheel and have even spoke tension at the same time. Forcing even spoke tension would likely un-true the wheel.
That's where a lot of skill or a tensiometer comes in. Unless the rim is bent it is possible to even the spoke tension to within a proper range. When doing a wheel that's out of whack tension wise I check all the spokes one one side and pick a middle spot (say 100 if the spoke range is 120-60) then bring all the spokes to that tension, then the same to the other side before rechecking the 1st side. Once done bring the tension back up to close to normal, check true, straight and round and finish tension. Most don't ever need that extreme but it happens.

Video doesn't tell me anything, maybe I'm missing what you're trying to show? Easy way to get a general idea is to grab a pair of spokes and gently squeeze, do the same for all the pairs, unless you have one that is noticeably loose or really tight you're probably fine.
Old 12-12-21, 11:52 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
That's why they make a special tool to measure it, and that should be included when any bike shop trues a wheel. If they don't have a tensionometer (or don't use it), that's not where you want to have your wheels serviced.
Hmm. I don't think I've ever encountered a shop that evaluated all the spokes with a tensiometer during a routine wheel truing service.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-13-21, 12:30 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Because I’m in the middle of building my own birthday present (NOS CAAD8 frame, with take-off components from a 2015 Specialized Roubaix). I decided to check the Axis 1.0 wheels. 28 spoke, 2cross and radial lace (crazy I never noticed). After a quick and dirty lateral true, the (haven’t been used since the 90’s) Wheelsmith reading is 70 non-drive, and 90 drive. There were two out of wack non-drive reading 50, and two 100 reading on the other side. The wheels had a couple hundred miles before taken off the Roubaix.

Should I have measured before trueing…yeah.
Am I concerned about the tension…not really
Will I geek over this…only because it’s fun and makes my family avoid me if I talk about it.

Specialized Axis 1 wheel.

Drive side reads 90.

Non-drive reads 70.

Radial spokes on the Non-drive side.
Old 12-13-21, 03:27 AM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
That's where a lot of skill or a tensiometer comes in. Unless the rim is bent it is possible to even the spoke tension to within a proper range. When doing a wheel that's out of whack tension wise I check all the spokes one one side and pick a middle spot (say 100 if the spoke range is 120-60) then bring all the spokes to that tension, then the same to the other side before rechecking the 1st side. Once done bring the tension back up to close to normal, check true, straight and round and finish tension. Most don't ever need that extreme but it happens.

Video doesn't tell me anything, maybe I'm missing what you're trying to show? Easy way to get a general idea is to grab a pair of spokes and gently squeeze, do the same for all the pairs, unless you have one that is noticeably loose or really tight you're probably fine.
I was trying to show the different sounds between the spokes. Some are higher pitched that others, doesn't that show a variance in tension?
Old 12-13-21, 04:19 AM
mrwang199432

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlmonte
Because I’m in the middle of building my own birthday present (NOS CAAD8 frame, with take-off components from a 2015 Specialized Roubaix). I decided to check the Axis 1.0 wheels. 28 spoke, 2cross and radial lace (crazy I never noticed). After a quick and dirty lateral true, the (haven’t been used since the 90’s) Wheelsmith reading is 70 non-drive, and 90 drive. There were two out of wack non-drive reading 50, and two 100 reading on the other side. The wheels had a couple hundred miles before taken off the Roubaix.

Should I have measured before trueing…yeah.
Am I concerned about the tension…not really
Will I geek over this…only because it’s fun and makes my family avoid me if I talk about it.

Specialized Axis 1 wheel.

Drive side reads 90.

Non-drive reads 70.

Radial spokes on the Non-drive side.
same wheel as mine , how have you found it in the long term?
Old 12-13-21, 05:11 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I was trying to show the different sounds between the spokes. Some are higher pitched that others, doesn't that show a variance in tension?
Yes, it does. If you check Youtube you'll find a few guys showing how to measure tension with a guitar tuning app on your phone and plucking the spokes, and some old-timers claim to be able to get it pretty close by ear. The best and most accurate way is still with a tensiometer.
Likes For Jeff Neese:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.