Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Turning titanium?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Turning titanium?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 08:58 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Titanium workability varies with the grade, while low grades would file easily your crank bolts should be at least Grade 9 which will be hard on the file but work much like high strength steel.
Old 05-01-22, 02:12 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. I have a feeling many here haven’t spent much time filing anything harder than aluminum.
2. If you’re half competent with a file, and have a half decent file in reasonable condition, this is a sub 10 minute task for the pair.
3. The big question is how you’re going to hang on to it. A bench vise would be decent, though installing it into the spindle with no crank arm and using care not to carve up your frame’s BB shell would likely do just fine. You can slip the crank arm on the opposite side to stop spindle rotation.
4. Off topic, but I rather like self extracting crank arms. It takes less time, and while I’ve seen a couple strip with a worn tool, I’ve not seen any strip with an already installed self extracting bolt. They don’t look quite as nice as a nice flush dust cover IMO, but we’re really getting into the weeds at this point.
Old 05-04-22, 05:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
There were aluminum crank bolts, as smd4 noted. The general recommendation was to use steel bolts to apply full torque and then substitute the aluminum bolts as replacement. More than one aluminum bolt was broken by not following this procedure.
interestingly enough, that is the same thing Rene Herse recommend for their titanium bolts

Old 05-04-22, 06:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I agree with Rene Here. Use a steel bolt to bring into spec, then replace with the ti bolt. Precautionary measure to avoid breaking a ti bolt in the spindle. Makes sense to me as removing a broken ti bolt may prove to be a less than pleasant experience.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-04-22, 10:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I agree with Rene Here. Use a steel bolt to bring into spec, then replace with the ti bolt. Precautionary measure to avoid breaking a ti bolt in the spindle. Makes sense to me as removing a broken ti bolt may prove to be a less than pleasant experience.
That makes sense. Rene site also suggests 25nm for the titanium bolt. It does look like a square taper replacement, but I think the torque ranges overlap some.

John
Old 05-23-22, 07:08 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,918 Times in 1,772 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
2. If you’re half competent with a file, and have a half decent file in reasonable condition, this is a sub 10 minute task for the pair.
Took about 40 minutes for one with a new file. FYI...Titanium is HARD!!
3. The big question is how you’re going to hang on to it. A bench vise would be decent, though installing it into the spindle with no crank arm and using care not to carve up your frame’s BB shell would likely do just fine. You can slip the crank arm on the opposite side to stop spindle rotation.
Put the 7MM torque wrench socket into the drill, put the bolt onto the Allen head, held it in my lap and put the file up to it while watching The Office. Kept measuring with the dust cap and a caliper.
4. Off topic, but I rather like self extracting crank arms. They don’t look quite as nice as a nice flush dust cover IMO, but we’re really getting into the weeds at this point.
I too prefer the flush dust caps of older Dura Ace, but racing teams back in the day didn't even use them, so the Octalink setup doesn't look to bad to me. I like the no-nonsense functional look.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions--it takes time, but is doable.

Last edited by smd4; 05-23-22 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-23-22, 09:39 AM
jccaclimber

Hopefully you were moving the file across the part quite a bit, if not, that’s part of why it took so long. I’m glad you were successful.
Old 05-23-22, 10:12 AM
smd4

Hopefully you were moving the file across the part quite a bit, if not, that’s part of why it took so long. I’m glad you were successful.
Yes, I was moving the file as much as I could. Wasn't the ideal situation, but again, doable. and got the job done.
Old 05-26-22, 01:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Titanium is extremely difficult to grind, file or sand. I will be interested to see if you have any success with a file.
And also to machine. Cost factor of 6 over (easily machineable) leaded steel. Requires sharp, coated carbide tools. Easy to build up heat in the turned part. You sure you want to get into this? Probably the tooling would cost you more than just buying new Ti fasteners that fit.

Why is titanium so hard to machine?
Old 05-26-22, 01:39 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Titanium workability varies with the grade, while low grades would file easily your crank bolts should be at least Grade 9 which will be hard on the file but work much like high strength steel.
Agree - if the bolts are Grade 2 (pretty pure Ti) then machining could be easier than Grade 5 (which has 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium and hence is called 6Al-4V). But unless you have an X-ray Fluorimeter handy you might not know.

If you have a good, rigid lathe and excellent work-holding tooling I guess you could give it a try. For my money, though, I'd just buy properly sized bolts!
Old 05-26-22, 06:15 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You sure you want to get into this? Probably the tooling would cost you more than just buying new Ti fasteners that fit.
The job’s done, both bolts. C’mon!! It wasn’t THAT difficult! A lathe? Tooling?? A new file cost me $6 bucks from Lowe’s. I used my drill as a “lathe.” The only Ti bolts for this particular application are the ones I bought.

Last edited by smd4; 05-26-22 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 12:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would guess that since the title used the word turning that is inherently done on a lathe.

My Dad had a metal lathe when we were growing up. Great fun. That said, I have use both a drill and even a bike crank to “turn” something, but it is only a primitive operation with little ability to hold any tolerances.

John
Old 05-27-22, 02:12 AM
jccaclimber

I guess all the titanium hardware and rod that I’ve worked on a lathe with freehand ground HSS tools and worked with a low price hand file (I have better now) must be an anomaly.
Industrially competitive is hard and has overhead. By hand for qty<10 doesn’t need to be complicated as the OP has shown.
Old 05-27-22, 08:58 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That said, I have use both a drill and even a bike crank to “turn” something, but it is only a primitive operation with little ability to hold any tolerances.
The titanium bolts I turned without a lathe on a hand drill are well within the tolerances required. I wasn’t building a surgical instrument.
Old 05-27-22, 09:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Have to wonder about the self-extracting bolt application, though. It would seem that you'd be loading the bolt both during installation and removal of the crank, and just asking for galling both ways. Be sure to use anti-sieze!
Old 05-27-22, 09:26 AM
smd4

I used plenty of anti-sneeze.
Old 05-27-22, 04:16 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by smd4
The job’s done, both bolts. C’mon!! It wasn’t THAT difficult! A lathe? Tooling?? A new file cost me $6 bucks from Lowe’s. I used my drill as a “lathe.” The only Ti bolts for this particular application are the ones I bought.
Glad you were able to do it.
I agree with you that if the large shoulder was just poor manufacturing quality control, reducing the diameter to the design spec is fine.
And others have mentioned that Ti is horrible for galling but you are using anti-sieze.
Regarding the lathe, well, I grew up working in a machine shop and while the tool and die makers might use a "get 'er done" approach, they were so good that they'd probably figure out a workholding solution on the lathe and have that 0.7mm off while maintaining concentricity and leaving a good finish. In about five minutes. So my prejudice for the lathe option.
But if it works, cool.
Old 05-27-22, 06:11 PM
smd4

Let’s put it this way: I wish I had a lathe!