Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat Tube Interior Stops?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-26-22, 08:58 PM
mattinkansas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I am working on a 1991 Schwinn Crosscut bike. When I went to reinsert the seat post, I could only slide it down so far before it came to a firm stop. When I looked down into the seat post, there was what looked like a very small post protruding into the interior of the tube, clearly blocking the seat post from descending any further. I'd say it inserted about six inches leaving three inches out of the tube. But I am wanting the seat even lower. I know I can simply cut the post down, but I am curious about what I saw. Is this something common that I'm just now noticing? What is the purpose of it? Thank you.
Old 05-26-22, 10:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Water bottle cage bolt?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-27-22, 07:37 AM
mattinkansas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Dang, yes, good call Rolla. Combination of freakishly long stem on the one hand and my own fatigue on the other. Thank you!
Likes For mattinkansas: