Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody use thier vintage(or just old)mountain bikes on single track?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-09-11, 08:37 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I took my early 90s Scott rigid frame to the trail this morning. rode about fifteen miles, moved aside a lot to let the fully suspended riders go thru. At the trailheads there were quite a few "I remember those", and "wow thats got to weigh a ton"s. You would think that I was driving a model T.

Not complaining, or doing the new vrs old thing, but was thinking. Mountain bikes have come a long way from my first peugoet canyon express. I was just out toodling, I am lucky to live near some awesome trails. But is there some of the forum members who take thier obsolete bikes to the trails? Most of my older mountain bikes have been converted to Utes, townys or just for show.
Old 07-09-11, 09:37 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
where do you live? i see people riding rigid mtbs all the time.. not on the trail but enough that i doubt someone would be like "i remember those"

i've thought about taking mine out to the mountains for some beginning downhill runs but havent done it
Old 07-09-11, 10:21 PM
Fred Smedley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is mostly all I ride. Rigid steel. Fat Chance Wicked, Bridgestone MB-1, about to paint a Tange Prestige Stumpjumper, also in the works a Prestige GT Avalanche, a Trek OX11 930.

Last edited by Fred Smedley; 07-09-11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 10:37 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Absolutely I take my vintage MTB to do "real" mtb trails. I've updated an early 90s Giant Yukon with modern 1X9spd drive-train and new 2.5" MotoRaptor tires. It's awesome fun on the trails. A bit slower than full suspension on the harsh stuff with lots of drops or really choppy, though more challenging and therefore fun to me, and I can rip pretty well with full suspension guys on regular fast smoother singletrack. I've never had anyone be a dick about it and point out that I'm riding an older bike as a negative thing or make a comment like "I remember those" either. Then again, there are also other people riding ridged MTBs in my area. Lots of newer rigid 29ers. I am one of the few these days without disk brakes, but I'm OK with my V-brakes and I'm glad they don't squeal like a lot of the disk brake guys. They'll flip me over the handlebars just fine if I want them too, so that's enough for me.
Old 07-10-11, 01:29 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Im in northwest Arkansas. I do see some rigid stuff on the trails but not much, more hardtails and lots of full susp. One guy had a redline single speed, he ended up keeping it single but put a shock on it. Its a tourist type town, and most people who are riding have driven several hours at least to get there, so I see more dedicated riders and racers. They tend to have newer bikes.
So mostly its all high end new stuff, or someone local trying a murray. I'm sure that I am not the only guy on a twenty year old bike, but it seems it always gets comments when I am out, and a lot today, which is what kind got me thinking about it. A lot of people have never seen a level top tube and come over to look. I worked at the park where the trails are a few years ago, and kept my old Puch mountainbike with moosebars, thumb shifters and lugs parked outside the office. People who stayed in the cabins for the weekend to bike were suprised when they saw me riding it to check things out in the park. They mostly thought it was a display! Oh, and for the record, no one has ever realy been a dick. Maby a little smug, but not that bad.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-10-11 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-10-11, 09:48 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Not technically single track in this photo, but yes I do...