Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where can I get shifter bosses for microshift downtube shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 06:04 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts

I recently purchased some microshift 8 speed downtube shifters. I just realized that they did not come with any bosses. I have shimano downtube bosses but they are not compatible with the microshift shifters. Where can I acquire the shifter bosses so I can install these shifters on the braise ons of a vintage frame and actually use them as down tube shifters?
Old 06-21-22, 06:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by kommisar
I recently purchased some microshift 8 speed downtube shifters. I just realized that they did not come with any bosses. I have shimano downtube bosses but they are not compatible with the microshift shifters. Where can I acquire the shifter bosses so I can install these shifters on the braise ons of a vintage frame and actually use them as down tube shifters?
It sounds like you need an adaptor (set of) that may not exist(?).

Alternative might be to clamp on a band-clamp having suitable bosses, but leaving the Shimano bosses sitting there.

Or use stops and run handlebar shifters(?).
Old 06-21-22, 07:48 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Are you sure they don’t just bolt on to standard braze- on mounts? Maybe no need for bosses.
Old 06-21-22, 07:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
Seems like this was just discussed: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...er-bosses.html
Old 06-21-22, 08:03 PM
kommisar

The frame has braze ons, I just don't have the curved spacers that include a raised tab that corresponds to the indent on the back of the microshift down tube shifter. Like this one but for microshift:

https://www.ebay.com/p/2254338449?iid=373334897673
Old 06-21-22, 08:05 PM
kommisar

I think I used the wrong term in the OP. The frame has brazed on bosses. I meant the cover that sits over the boss. It is keyed for the specific shifter.
Old 06-22-22, 03:00 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Mine have the cover plates as part of the assembly. Mine are 9s
Old 06-22-22, 04:46 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Shimano Shift Lever Bosses

Shimano used 2 different styles of braze-on shift lever mounts - Type A which was propitiatory and... by the mid 80's they came to their senses and switched to the de facto industry standard Campagnolo style bosses.

Type A braze-on bosses were used on some bikes into the 80's, also clamps. I have one frame with Type A braze-ons. They take special "half moon" spacers that act as travel stops and used 4.5mm mounting screws. They're hard to find these days.

When index levers came out, the early boxes contained 2 styles of half moon spacers - Type A (early original style shown below) and Campy style.

Shimano also made spacers for aluminum frames with larger diameter down tubes like Klein/Canonndale plus flat ones for Alan/Vitus frames.

Campy style spacers came with 5mm x .8mm mounting screws.

Shimano also sold the spacers separately in kits for "Italian" (Campy) style bosses for older levers.

We're talkin 35-40 year old stuff... It gets complicated. Post pictures of what you have and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 06-22-22, 01:29 PM
kommisar

Originally Posted by verktyg
We're talkin 35-40 year old stuff... It gets complicated. Post pictures of what you have and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

verktyg
Looks like the frame has campy style bosses. Is there any way to get a spacer for microshift down tube.
Old 06-22-22, 03:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Looks like the frame has campy style bosses. Is there any way to get a spacer for microshift down tube.
I suspect that a suitable Shimano concave plate would work.

Can you show us what you have, with views of the DT and the back side of the shift levers?

Those chromed Shimano escutcheons, both flat and curved styles, seem to turn up all the time in donated boxes parts at the co-ops.

Last edited by dddd; 06-22-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 06:15 PM
kommisar

I just realized I don't need any spacer for microshift downtube shifters. The back of the shifters has a square opening that fits over the base of the campy style braze on. It was my inexperience with this brand and I thought it operated like the shimano downtube shifters with their curved spacers.

Last edited by kommisar; 06-22-22 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 06:35 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I just realized I don't need any spacer for microshift downtube shifters. The back of the shifters has a square opening that fits over the base of the campy style braze on. It was my in experience with this brand and I thought it operated like the shimano downtube shifters with their curved spacers.
As stated. Glad it worked out.

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Mine have the cover plates as part of the assembly. Mine are 9s
​​​​​​​
Old 06-23-22, 12:50 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

More Info Needed

"I recently purchased some microshift 8 speed downtube shifters. I just realized that they did not come with any bosses. I have shimano downtube bosses but they are not compatible with the microshift shifters. Where can I acquire the shifter bosses so I can install these shifters on the braise ons of a vintage frame and actually use them as down tube shifters?"

A picture or a web link saves a thousand guesses....

Are these the microSHIFT levers that you were inquiring about?

If so, they fit onto Campy style braze-on lever bosses and don't require the Shimano style spacers.

I tried them out and they worked well but the plastic and aluminum internals were not very robust plus the short lever arms look more suited to bar end shifters so I switched to Dia-Compe W levers.

Both the MicroSHIFT levers and the Dia-Compe W levers have cable drums/barrels large enough to easily wrap up to 10 speeds.

BTW, microSHIFT components aren't that common so many C&V members may not be familiar with the term or brand "microshift"...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 06-23-22, 04:46 AM
kommisar

Originally Posted by verktyg
A picture or a web link saves a thousand guesses....

Are these the microSHIFT levers that you were inquiring about?

If so, they fit onto Campy style braze-on lever bosses and don't require the Shimano style spacers.

verktyg
Those are the ones. Yep they directly attache to the campy style boss without an additional part. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-23-22, 11:39 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Advantages Of Visual Aids

Those are the ones. Yep they directly attache to the campy style boss without an additional part. Thanks for your help.
No problem but, I'd like to encourage you to post photos or links with images.... It makes things so much easier and you get better answers quicker!

There are a lot of good resource folks on BF C&V Forum.... Make it easier for them!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)