Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex retrofriction problem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 07:51 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts

The steel clamp-on band for my Simplex retrofriction shifters broke the last time I removed them from a frame. That kind of sucked, but I figured I would just mount the levers on a spare Simplex Criterium band, or else mount them directly to a frame with brazed-on studs. Well, it turns out that the diameter of the mounting holes of the shifters is too small for either option. What were they thinking? I thought these things were compatible with standard shifter mounts because I have seen photos of them on all kinds of bikes. I'm thinking it's not going to be easy to find another mounting band with small diameter studs, but I'm also hesitant to drill them out to standard diameter. Any ideas?
Old 07-09-22, 08:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The levers that were mounted on band clamps at the factory were different, as you have found.

Perhaps some other band clamp might be made to be compatible, or maybe they would fit on older Shimano frame studs?

Last recourse, might be useful for parts, for where a clamp-on retrofriction shifter got bent/broken, or failed internally(.?)
Old 07-10-22, 03:32 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The levers that were mounted on band clamps at the factory were different, as you have found.
Actually, the lever is one of the few parts that does interchange between versions.

As do the springs - which are a part that might break, so yes keep. Keep EVERYTHING. (That's one of the rules, always keep all the parts.)

Depending on where the band is broken it might be an easy braze or silver-solder fix. Pic?
Old 07-10-22, 04:40 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
kroozer Can't help with your dilemma, but I can sympathize. I have one that broke on installation. I think it was (nearly) new. I eventually found a clamp somewhere (eBay probably), so I was able to actually use the levers.

It seems these bands weren't very high quality parts. I wonder if they were also produced either in two versions (metric and English) *or* in one version which split the difference.
Old 07-10-22, 06:04 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere that does a deep dive on the parts differences with Retrofrictions, as well as some suggested solutions (IIRC involving drilling/reaming/tapping......).
You could try Wayne Bingham (veloclassique@gmail.com) for a band- he had what I needed to resuscitate 2 pairs of Retrofrictions I got on eBay that were missing all kinds of internal bits....
Old 07-10-22, 01:37 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try to get a hold of Wayne. I tossed out the broken clamp, although now I'm going to comb through the wastebasket to see if it's still here.
Old 07-11-22, 09:05 AM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
Try surfing picclick.fr, eBay France, for some replacements. Several years ago, Wayne Bingham, Velo Classique, rebuilt several pair of frame mounted with new springs. Good luck.
Old 07-11-22, 09:36 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Regarding compatibility, are the Simplex Retrofriction bosses different than plain old vanilla Simplex bosses? I see plenty of "colliers manettes Simplex" on ebay.fr, most single lever for some reason, but also not for much dough (sans livraison).
Old 07-11-22, 10:46 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Regarding compatibility, are the Simplex Retrofriction bosses different than plain old vanilla Simplex bosses? I see plenty of "colliers manettes Simplex" on ebay.fr, most single lever for some reason, but also not for much dough (sans livraison).
I tried the levers on another Simplex clamp-on band (I believe Criterium) and they were not compatible, so this idiosyncrasy does not appear to extend to the rest of the brand.
Old 07-12-22, 12:59 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
The steel clamp-on band for my Simplex retrofriction shifters broke the last time I removed them from a frame. That kind of sucked, but I figured I would just mount the levers on a spare Simplex Criterium band, or else mount them directly to a frame with brazed-on studs. Well, it turns out that the diameter of the mounting holes of the shifters is too small for either option. What were they thinking? I thought these things were compatible with standard shifter mounts because I have seen photos of them on all kinds of bikes. I'm thinking it's not going to be easy to find another mounting band with small diameter studs, but I'm also hesitant to drill them out to standard diameter. Any ideas?
Have you seen this?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aze-clamp.html