Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone mount a mirror on their bike to see behind them?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-07-22, 07:01 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts

At a few points in my loop, I must cross to the other side of the road, while riding forwards. Since the other side has a better median, in some sections.
I prefer not to stop entirely, and cross the road perpendicularly. I find that crossing to the other side of the road can be dangerous since I can't fully see behind me while riding forwards, to see if cars are coming.
This is probably the most dangerous part of my ride, maybe I have a stiff neck, or maybe I am not a great rider, but turning my head almost 180* while riding forwards is unstable for me.

Or do you prefer one mounted to your helmet?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3403241

Last edited by CheGiantForLife; 08-07-22 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 07:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
At a few points in my loop, I must cross to the other side of the road, while riding forwards. Since the other side has a better median, in some sections.
I prefer not to stop entirely, and cross the road perpendicularly. I find that crossing to the other side of the road can be dangerous since I can't fully see behind me while riding forwards, to see if cars are coming.
This is probably the most dangerous part of my ride, maybe I have a stiff neck, or maybe I am not a great rider, but turning my head almost 180* while riding forwards is unstable for me.

Something like this?
Yes, some people do that. Obviously.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-07-22, 07:19 AM
Crash2Much

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have 2 big truck mirrors I put on my bike sometimes, rear view is amazing. LOL.
Likes For Crash2Much:
Old 08-07-22, 07:25 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts

Something like this?
I have a helmet mounted mirror. It works well, but it still has a blind spot: just to the left rear of me. Most cars I can hear, but slow moving (electric?) cars are problematic as well as cyclists that don't give an on your left! So, I always glance around before moving left.
Old 08-07-22, 07:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I couldn't imagine anyone doing that, it sounds too crazy and far fetched. Does anyone hold on to the handlebars when they ride their bike?
Old 08-07-22, 07:32 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Yes I find mirrors very useful, but even with a mirror i still have a habit of turning my head to double check.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-07-22, 07:32 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I couldn't imagine anyone doing that, it sounds too crazy and far fetched. Does anyone hold on to the handlebars when they ride their bike?
Handlebars are overrated. I got rid of mine and enjoy the weight savings.
Old 08-07-22, 07:38 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yes, some people do that. Obviously.
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
I have 2 big truck mirrors I put on my bike sometimes, rear view is amazing. LOL.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Originally Posted by RGMN
Handlebars are overrated. I got rid of mine and enjoy the weight savings.
2 constructive replies and then this typical low IQ garbage signal to noise ratio. LOL.
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-07-22, 07:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
We all ride so we see mounted mirrors all the time. You reference Amazon who probably has pages of mirrors ready to be sold and mounted on your bike because they sell zillions of them every day so your question seems odd at best.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-07-22, 07:39 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by groth
I have a helmet mounted mirror. It works well, but it still has a blind spot: just to the left rear of me. Most cars I can hear, but slow moving (electric?) cars are problematic as well as cyclists that don't give an on your left! So, I always glance around before moving left.
Would you suggest helmet mount over a handlebar mounted ?
How does it attach to helmet? Universal mount?
Old 08-07-22, 07:41 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I've used and continue to use mirrors for decades. I now have added Garmin's Varia Radar/light. It alerts with both beeps and shows rear approaching traffic (cars, trucks, bikes, and yes, even on occasion a train!) on compatible Garmin GPS units. It even shows more than one rear approaching vehicle. In urban riding there can be a lot of beeps.

I have the mirror on my drop handlebars on the left side. In the past I used a helmet mounted mirror but now have trouble focusing on it.
Likes For kahn:
Old 08-07-22, 07:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
2 constructive replies and then this typical low IQ garbage signal to noise ratio. LOL.
Thank you for noticing my reply was constructive! I very much enjoyed your question. I like knowing if people use an object for seeing behind them to see behind them. I always wonder about that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-22, 07:59 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
I don't get how could you possibly have blind spot on your helmet mirror.

I also use helmet mirror and don't have issues with blind spot. Obviously, you have to pan your head a little bit to have full view of the rear with that tiny mirror. They're expected to be used in such manner.

Of course, compared to not having any mirror, you have to pan your head all the way to the back to see behind you, losing front view. With helmet mirror, you only pan a little bit without losing front view on your peripheral vision. It's a massive improvement of rear view, otherwise, I would not have bothered having a pointy thing attached to my helmet.

I find helmet mirror better for cycling. The mirror is smaller and lighter and comfortably within forward view, you don't have to look down (as you would with handlebar mirror) and have better coverage of rear view.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-07-22 at 08:03 AM.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-07-22, 08:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
At a few points in my loop, I must cross to the other side of the road, while riding forwards. Since the other side has a better median
sounds like you want to ride on the wrong side of the road. Not too smart.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-07-22, 08:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I've owned and tested most mirrors. In combination with a Varia, I use one or two of the following.....always. A car does not approach from the rear without me verifying that they have moved over.

My favorite for helmet mount: EVT Safety mirror

My favorite for handlebar end mount: "The Italian road bike mirror"

My favorite for bar mounted mirror: B&M 901 or 903 Mirror

Most of the rest have crappy plastic optics, all three of these are high quality glass mirrors with excellent optics.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-07-22, 08:32 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I don't get how could you possibly have blind spot on your helmet mirror.

I also use helmet mirror and don't have issues with blind spot. Obviously, you have to pan your head a little bit to have full view of the rear with that tiny mirror. They're expected to be used in such manner.

Of course, compared to not having any mirror, you have to pan your head all the way to the back to see behind you, losing front view. With helmet mirror, you only pan a little bit without losing front view on your peripheral vision. It's a massive improvement of rear view, otherwise, I would not have bothered having a pointy thing attached to my helmet.

I find helmet mirror better for cycling. The mirror is smaller and lighter and comfortably within forward view, you don't have to look down (as you would with handlebar mirror) and have better coverage of rear view.
Here are two reasons

1. degenerative disc disease
2. riding a bent
3. Bonus response.....some helmet mirrors have a miserible FOV
Old 08-07-22, 08:47 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by spelger
sounds like you want to ride on the wrong side of the road. Not too smart.
Very perceptive.
Yes, I ride on both sides of the road.

One one stretch, there is a 3 foot wide margin or breakdown alley only on one side of the road. (Not wide enough for a car)
So, I ride facing traffic and then need to cross over when the margin disappears to the other side. What is the right term for "margin"?

I try to avoid riding in the actual traffic lane, whenever possible
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic, but in the margin, than to ride with traffic, but in the actual traffic, causing all sorts of problems for cars.
Old 08-07-22, 08:47 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

I just ordered this for $8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134188824280?
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-07-22, 09:03 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Glasses Mirror and Glove Mirror

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-07-22, 09:37 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I feel it is safer to ride facing traffic, but in the margin, than to ride with traffic, but in the actual traffic, causing all sorts of problems for cars.
In the three states I predominantly ride AZ, OR & WY and I suspect others you would and should be ticketed as it is dangerous and annoying to cyclists who would meet you head on following the law..

"In Arizona, it is legal for bicycles to ride in the traffic lanes, as long as they adhere to the same street laws as motorists. Always ride with the flow of traffic. Riding against traffic is very dangerous. Follow the same rules motorists do; travel in a straight line without swerving into other traffic lanes."
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-07-22, 09:37 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Not really safe, in some jurisdictions, drivers can just run you over without facing any consequences simply because you're at the wrong side of the road.

Even if they're not intent on killing you, they are likely not looking your way so the chance of a collision is much higher.
Old 08-07-22, 10:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
For me, it will always be a helmet mirror. It's a better mirror than I have in my car. (Yes, I do have better visibility in the car but it takes all three mirrors to get there.) Personally, things fastened to my handlebars and sticking out scare me. Anything that hits it or that I hit with it will affect my steering and probably cause a crash. Also they do not take kindly to bikes falling over (and being weight mounted on the handlebars, might add to the bike falling over when parked less than perfectly).

I do have a pet peeve re: helmet mirrors. The helmet manufacturers and mirror people can't just sit down and come up with a standard so all helmets have the mount provided and any mirror can just go on. Isn't that simply a no-brainer? I've gotten around this by making my own brackets that screw on with very small screws. I use the 3rd Eye short helmet mirrors and mount them on the visor. Works extremely well. I make them by forming thin aluminum sheet (I have an endless supply left over from a garden project) to fit the curvature of the helmet, then extending down and bent out at the bottom as a shelf. Fiberglass both sides with cloth and epoxy. Drill for the screws. Paint. Outlasts helmets. In fact, outlasts helmet runs. Places the mirror exactly where I want it.

Production plastic, my mirrors might cost 50 cents to make. Helmet manufacturers would have to provide some almost tiny holes. And we cyclists could have really good mirrors that go easily from helmet to helmet.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-07-22, 10:16 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Glasses Mirror and Glove Mirror
Me too... Thanks 10wheels...

Old 08-07-22, 10:16 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
My wife uses this one https://www.italianroadbikemirror.com

I've never used a mirror on a bicycle but have on the recumbent. I've been thinking of getting a helmet mount type.

Where I live a bicycle is a vehicle and must ride with the other vehicles all going the same direction. You can't ride facing the oncoming cars just as you cant drive a car going against traffic.
Old 08-07-22, 10:19 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
No.

Everyone uses Garmin radars.

Absolutely no exceptions.
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.