Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orbea Spirit 2005

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orbea Spirit 2005

Old 08-15-22, 09:52 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 93 Posts
Orbea Spirit 2005

Okay, so not strictly classic and vintage, but it's steel and 2+ generations back in the Campagnolo evolution, so not exactly cutting edge stuff here.

I've spent the last two years trying to make a Specialized Diverge my do-everything road/gravel bike, with other projects thrown in for fun. But I really missed having a true road bike. My plan this summer was to aquire and combine two things: (1) a great steel frame that fits me well and (2) an upper end 10 speed groupset. I like classic and vintage, but I also like brifters and wider gear ranges.

Anyway, in July this bike turned up on the market a couple hours from home:

The original owner built it in 2005. It's an Orbea Spirit, built with Columbus Spirit tubing, a Campagnolo Chorus Carbon 10 speed groupset, Open Pro wheels, and Zeus carbon seatpost and forks. He said he spent $4000 at the time, and that seems reasonable. Combining both my needs in one purchase was a stroke of luck, and provided a big savings over what I expected to spend, at least if the frame was a good fit.

Here are the 2005 catalog pages for anyone interested:

Orbea only offered this frame for one year, and it seems to have been their last hurrah with steel. Spirit is some nice tubing - I had to get out a magnet to persuade myself it was steel at all, and I've added a Columbus Spriit decal since everyone who sees the bike assumes it is aluminum. Even a mechanic at my LBS thought it was aluminum. Can't have that, can we?

I'm heavier and older than the previous owner was in 2005 (or today for that matter), so I knew I'd need to make it a little less stretched out and lighten the gearing a bit. So, I swapped in a couple of things I already had: a 50/34 crankset and compact handlebars. Usually when buying a used bike, I take it apart to lube and re-cable, but it was very well cared for and I haven't had to do all that. I did purchase new Open Pro UST wheels; since there is room for 28mm tires, I'll go tubeless when something I want is actually available.

So, here's where the Spirit is today:

She weighs in right at 19 lbs/8.6 kgs, which is pretty good for a steel frame. It rides like steel, though I'd say there's a stiffness that classic frames don't have. I've done about 400 miles while dialing in all these changes, though, and I'm confident this is my keeper road bike. Honestly, couldn't be happier.

All that's really left to do is bring on tubeless tires, probably swap out the bars for something with flattened "ergo" tops, and maybe find a Campy crankset with a power meter when one is priced right. But there's no hurry on any of that. Right now, every ride is a joy, and I'm getting PRs on segments I did a hundred times on the Diverge. The Diverge will now do what it's best at: gravel. And with cooler weather coming out here on the edge of the prairie soon, there will be plenty of time for that, too.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 08-16-22, 02:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I like, a lot!
Old 06-11-23, 08:55 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 93 Posts

Updating this post just for future Orbea Spirit searchers. I swapped out the Campy 10 speed for 105 11 speed without issue.
Also, installed Continental 5000 AS tires in 28 mm on 19 mm internal rims. That is the absolute max the frame will take in back. There seemed to be plenty of room at first, but a few rides later it's probably tighter than most mechanics would endorse. But I just did 70 hilly miles with my 200+ pounds aboard with no rub.
Assuming the 28s continue to fit, this is a crazy good modern road bike with a high-end steel frame.
I love this beast.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 06-11-23, 09:08 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
Fantastic bike

But, no offense, this is really stretching the C&V definition.
Likes For Piff:
Old 06-12-23, 12:26 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
Nice classic steel and frame