Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help me configure my touring bike (Trek 520 Grando)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Help me configure my touring bike (Trek 520 Grando)

Old 08-15-22, 08:01 AM
  #26  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,419
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 614 Posts
Riding in rain, especially if on any dirt roads, really does put gritty stuff all over your nice new clean drivetrain (and you) so without fenders, it just means a lot of work. Dry riding is nice, but keeping your drivetrain in good shape is certainly easier with them.
And if your a messy chain person, over lubing, never wiping off excess, riding in wet gritty conditions really does plaster your chain with a really effective metal wearing paste.

To be aware that some front toe overlap will happen with fenders, in case you've never had this.
djb is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 08:45 AM
  #27  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,500

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 176 Posts
AH - BINGO! Excellent use of the front platform could sometimes be the Thermarest! I forgot about that conundrum sometimes especially if You use foam mattress or if You inflatable mattress has a decent thickness it is a good idea to have it out of the panniers and if it will fit on your front rack that would be a great idea.



Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
My front rack doesn't have a platform, so I make do with an Ortlieb bar bag with map holder. The Ortlieb bag detaches easily, but you could make a grab and go bag pretty easily out of cloth or plastic zip-lock to hold your camera, wallet, and cell phone.

How are you planning to navigate? Paper maps work fine with my setup, or with a gallon zip-lock bag binder clipped to shifter or brake cables. You can load a good GPS with your route and leave it on your bar, but you'll have to figure out how you'll charge it.

I found it easy to strap my Thermarest sleeping pad and tent to the flat part of my rear rack. I haven't toured loaded with my new fancy blow-up pad, but it's small enough to fit in a pannier. I prefer the security of having my sleeping bag inside a pannier to keep it dry.
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 09:48 AM
  #28  
Yan 
BeaverTerror
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
Everything goes inside the panniers. I don't strap anything directly to the racks. It is simply too inconvenient. Depending on the tour I take either two or four panniers.

I also use an extra bag to supplement the panniers and hold small personal items. This is a handlebar bag, saddle bag, or half frame triangle bag; depending on my requirements for that tour. The last few years I started touring with aerobars again so the handlebar bag gets used less now.
__________________
Yan
Yan is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 01:43 PM
  #29  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post

…To be aware that some front toe overlap will happen with fenders, in case you've never had this.
Unless you swap the stock pedals on the Grando (possibly the regular newer 520’s as well) to clipless there is always going to be toe overlap. The pedal overlaps the front wheel by 200-500 mm depending on size of frame. My 2022 Grando is a size 57 frame with Stock ProWheel 175mm crank and stock Welgo Flat pedals with toe clips, front wheel set is stock 700c 40mm. When the non drive pedal is in the 9 O-Clock position (vied from the non drive side) there is 30mm of overlap without fenders. Yes adding fenders will make even more overlap resulting in an even greater amount of toe overlap.

Last edited by M Rose; 08-15-22 at 05:16 PM.
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 03:18 PM
  #30  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 7,759

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose View Post
Unless you swap the stock pedals on the Grando (possibly the regular newer 520’s as well) to clipless there is always going to be toe overlap. The pedal overlaps the front wheel by 200-500 mm depending on size of frame. My 2022 Grando is a size 57 frame with Stock ProWheel 175mm crank and stock Welgo Flat pedals with toe clips, front wheel set is stock 700c 40mm. When the non drive pedal is in the 9 O-Clock position (vied from the non drive side) there is 300mm of overlap without fenders. Yes adding fenders will make even more overlap resulting in an even greater amount of toe overlap.
How big are your shoes? Somehow I doubt a bare pedal on any stock bike is going to have a foot of overlap with the stock tires; I'd be surprised if the tire even touched the pedal.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 03:58 PM
  #31  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
How big are your shoes? Somehow I doubt a bare pedal on any stock bike is going to have a foot of overlap with the stock tires; I'd be surprised if the tire even touched the pedal.
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 04:05 PM
  #32  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,419
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 614 Posts
rose, take a side photo to show it, this really doesnt show much to us

and 30cm of overlap would mean the pedal would be 30cm past the wheel, yes you have toe clips, but even from this photo angle, the pedal is not 30cms past the tire towards the hub--11 inches is 30 cms, nearly a foot as mentioned
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 08-15-22, 05:15 PM
  #33  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
rose, take a side photo to show it, this really doesnt show much to us

and 30cm of overlap would mean the pedal would be 30cm past the wheel, yes you have toe clips, but even from this photo angle, the pedal is not 30cms past the tire towards the hub--11 inches is 30 cms, nearly a foot as mentioned
30mm not 300mm… I can’t hold my bike and take a better picture at the same time… the tire fits perfectly in the “V” of the toe clip. The picture shows the toe clip (which is stock on all 520’s BTW) touching the edge of the tire when the bike is leaned onto the kick stand.
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 05:38 PM
  #34  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,419
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 614 Posts
I believe you about overlap, but to show amount, lean bike on wall, position pedal, go to side, kneel down, press shutter buttonBut I realize your rat trap will flop down.

Geez, I realize I haven't ridden a bike with those for a good 30 years
djb is offline  
Old 08-15-22, 08:29 PM
  #35  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I believe you about overlap, but to show amount, lean bike on wall, position pedal, go to side, kneel down, press shutter buttonBut I realize your rat trap will flop down.

Geez, I realize I haven't ridden a bike with those for a good 30 years
I’ll have to go find a wall… I live in an RV park, so nowhere to really lean the bike over very well… btw… it’s the trap that strikes the tire… like I said the tire fills the whole V of the trap rather nicely. The pedal it self has about 4cm of clearance from the tire if I take off the rat traps… but taking off the rat traps would not change the foot position so toe overlap would still be the same.
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 01:57 AM
  #36  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,419
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose View Post
I it’s the trap that strikes the tire… like I said the tire fills the whole V of the trap rather nicely. The pedal it self has about 4cm of clearance from the tire if I take off the rat traps… but taking off the rat traps would not change the foot position so toe overlap would still be the same.
That seems pretty much about the toe overlap that we've all experienced.
Add in fenders and the added bits potentially of the struts sticking out more, especially with fatter tires, and it can be an issue.

At least without traps we can adjust our foot position, I do this on my commuter with fenders to help with shoes hitting fender stays.
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 08-16-22, 02:11 AM
  #37  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
That seems pretty much about the toe overlap that we've all experienced.
Add in fenders and the added bits potentially of the struts sticking out more, especially with fatter tires, and it can be an issue.

At least without traps we can adjust our foot position, I do this on my commuter with fenders to help with shoes hitting fender stays.
I agree. I was just stating that there already is overlap and that adding a fender is just going to make it worse than it already is…

… funny thing I did today…. I took the toe clips off of my 520 and mounted them to my 2022 Verve 2 Disk.. and measured the clearance between toe clip and tire… I actually have 3 cm of clearance between the two…

Ok enough hi-jacking the OP…
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 02:57 AM
  #38  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,613

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2801 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose View Post
.… like I said the tire fills the whole V of the trap rather nicely. ....
I am surprised that a bike is designed, built, and sold with toe overlap in a normal frame size without fenders. Every one of my 700c bikes has toe overlap with fenders but did not without. My 26 inch bikes have no toe overlap, even with fenders.

On the 700c bikes, you get used to it and figure out pretty quick which types of sharp turns can cause you to catch a shoe or toe clip on a fender.

But one thing I did not like about toe overlap was starting out with a loaded touring bike, you accelerate slower, over-steer a bit more when starting out, steering was a bit heavier with front panniers, and that was when toe overlap was more likely to occur when you going slow and had less control.
Tourist in MSN is online now  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-16-22, 03:52 AM
  #39  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,055

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I am surprised that a bike is designed, built, and sold with toe overlap in a normal frame size without fenders. Every one of my 700c bikes has toe overlap with fenders but did not without. My 26 inch bikes have no toe overlap, even with fenders.

On the 700c bikes, you get used to it and figure out pretty quick which types of sharp turns can cause you to catch a shoe or toe clip on a fender.

But one thing I did not like about toe overlap was starting out with a loaded touring bike, you accelerate slower, over-steer a bit more when starting out, steering was a bit heavier with front panniers, and that was when toe overlap was more likely to occur when you going slow and had less control.
Designing a wide tire 700c frame with even some resemblance of sharp steering without twitchyness while not being too rear biased in weight distribution that has no toe overlap is quite difficult even in larger sizes.

You have to push the front wheel forward somehow, but every way you do that compromizes some other aspect.

If you Lengthen the frame you force a shorter stem and push weight distribution towards the rear of the bike. That I can tell from experience is not at all great for carrying luggage in the rear. If you wish the keep weight distribution the same you need to increase chainstay length and you end up with a very long frame.

Slacking the headtube angle is another option, but a slack headtube angle isn't all that great for front loads especially with a long fork and high trail. I have no idea how a low trail fork and slack headtube angle would work but low trail isn't the best for rear loads. Going just low trail could work, but I understand low trail might not be ideal for riding fully loaded. It's more of a front load geometry.

what I'd like to see more is 650b touring frames and more importantly 650b touring tires. As it is it's a bit of a niche so not a lot of good tires out there either in absolute numbers or in terms of options. Going 26" is one option but for larger frame sizes that'd mean amazingly long headtubes. If the fork in use then doesn't have a super beefy steerer tube it means the front end is going to be flexy and that's not fun with high loads.

It is a challenge to be sure.
elcruxio is offline  
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 08-16-22, 05:18 AM
  #40  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 9,613

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2801 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
...
what I'd like to see more is 650b touring frames and more importantly 650b touring tires. As it is it's a bit of a niche so not a lot of good tires out there either in absolute numbers or in terms of options. Going 26" is one option but for larger frame sizes that'd mean amazingly long headtubes. If the fork in use then doesn't have a super beefy steerer tube it means the front end is going to be flexy and that's not fun with high loads.

It is a challenge to be sure.
Two of my three touring bikes have 26 inch tires. Quite happy with those bikes. No toe overlap with fenders. I started to attach photos to elaborate on my thoughts but did not want to hijack a thread that is dedicated to a different model bike, thus did not. One has a very long head tube, the other does not but that one has a frame designed for either the rigid fork that came with it or a 100mm suspension fork, so lower headset bearing is quite high above the tire on that one. Both have long chainstays at 450 and 466mm, but they are touring bikes so they should be long.
Tourist in MSN is online now  
Old 08-16-22, 05:26 AM
  #41  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,500

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 176 Posts
I just added a new rack to my Comotion Divide yesterday. It takes front bags but also has loops for panniers
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 12:33 PM
  #42  
M Rose
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Northeastern Oregon
Posts: 257

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
I'm an experienced cyclist and and have done numerous supported tours where our tent and stuff was carried. My wife and I are heading out for our first fully self-supported tour soon.
My retirement present to myself is this Trek 520 Grando. (None of my other bikes could take a front rack.)
I think have my panniers set up OK.
My questions:
  1. What do folks carry on the flat part of a front rack? This bike came with a gigantic front rack. I have a bag (see photo) I could use for my jacket and wallet and such. Good idea? Or should that space be used for something else?
  2. How about the flat top part of the rear rack? My tent maybe?
  3. Do folks typically carry their sleeping bags outside their panniers? Is rain a concern? Do you plastic bag it?
I've been riding pretty much all my life, bike commuting, double centuries, and supported tours. But this is a new beast. Thanks for your help.



how do you like that RockBros bag?
M Rose is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 12:35 PM
  #43  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,500

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 176 Posts
pretty good. It looks like it would fit many thing and even accept some extras on top in those bungees.
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 10:10 PM
  #44  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,055

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Two of my three touring bikes have 26 inch tires. Quite happy with those bikes. No toe overlap with fenders. I started to attach photos to elaborate on my thoughts but did not want to hijack a thread that is dedicated to a different model bike, thus did not. One has a very long head tube, the other does not but that one has a frame designed for either the rigid fork that came with it or a 100mm suspension fork, so lower headset bearing is quite high above the tire on that one. Both have long chainstays at 450 and 466mm, but they are touring bikes so they should be long.
I don't have any 26" bikes but I do have one 650b and even that has a fabulously long head tube. The steerer is so long in fact that it started clicking at the crown joint and had to be glued to silence it.

Considering my handlebar stack height is over 700mm, even with a 400mm fork (typical 700c) my headtubes should be 250mm - 270mm long. Tthey're not so I use high spacer stacks.
elcruxio is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 08:10 AM
  #45  
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
Thread Starter
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 6,995

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose View Post
how do you like that RockBros bag?
It was pretty inexpensive and the size I thought would work. However, the velcro straps are an odd length that requires I wrap them around the rack several times so the business ends meet properly. It's also a bit "floppy" which I guess won't matter when it's full. I still added a piece cardboard to the bottom. I replace it with plastic or foam core when I find some.
cccorlew is offline  
Likes For cccorlew:
Old 08-18-22, 09:26 AM
  #46  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
It was pretty inexpensive and the size I thought would work. However, the velcro straps are an odd length that requires I wrap them around the rack several times so the business ends meet properly. It's also a bit "floppy" which I guess won't matter when it's full. I still added a piece cardboard to the bottom. I replace it with plastic or foam core when I find some.
I think they design those bags to fit a rear rack that also has a passenger pillion pad attached.

I had a similar clone, fit correct when used with a rack seat pad, or a simple square of styrofoam wrapped in plastic.
saddlesores is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.