Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a new saddle - suggestions??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need a new saddle - suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 04:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
The "N1" in my post was a typo. I've only had a H1, X2 (which I bought because I'm under 190 lbs), now the H2 with the carbon rail.
So, I can expect the H2 to be stiffer than my H1? I got the carbon rail for the same reason, plus I don't care for the looks of the stainless steel on this particular bike it's going on. Plus, should be a slightly better ride.
As I understand their weight ratings, the ones with a "2" are supposed to be for the heaviest group of riders, I think they said from 200# to 250#, or it could have been 190 to 250. And the intended use of the "1s" is from something like 125 to 190. As their website gets updated and revised the actual values bet revised or or edited. But it's clear to me that the "1" is rated for a lighter weight group of riders than the "2". So from that I expect the ride of a "1" to be more compliant than of a "2". In the past year or so I have not done an in-depth test, but I prefer the "2" because its initial shape suits me better.

They also say that the intended user for a "2" rides longer distances than the intended user for a "1". So if you tell them you ride >100 miles a week they will steer you toward a "2" and if you ride <50 for example they will steer you to a "1" or even a "T". As far as my own experience I have owned my H2 for about 8 months but only been out on one significant ride with it, about 30 miles with a group of 60+ racer-wannabees, terrorizing the metro-park paths at 12 to 17 mph (mind you 10 mph speed limit! We are BAADDD!). It was comfortable except that I really needed more setback due to the short rails, so after somebody there finally told me I needed to replace my H2 rails and I finished stewing about it, I ordered the new rails. But here in midwinter I have not been out on it yet. My trainer bike has a nice Brooks Swallow on it, and I'm just getting that fitting dialed in. I expect my H2 to be stiffer in the sense that it should stretch more slowly and keep its shape relative to my shape.

So I would say I found the H2 to be very comfortable based on how it adapted to my butt pretty quickly, with minimal pain or abrasion points, but I did not consider it very soft. But definitely better than the most recent X1 I own. It awaits me on my Masi, until the weather warms up again.
Old 12-25-20, 06:23 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
As I understand their weight ratings, the ones with a "2" are supposed to be for the heaviest group of riders, I think they said from 200# to 250#, or it could have been 190 to 250. And the intended use of the "1s" is from something like 125 to 190. As their website gets updated and revised the actual values bet revised or or edited. But it's clear to me that the "1" is rated for a lighter weight group of riders than the "2". So from that I expect the ride of a "1" to be more compliant than of a "2". In the past year or so I have not done an in-depth test, but I prefer the "2" because its initial shape suits me better.

They also say that the intended user for a "2" rides longer distances than the intended user for a "1". So if you tell them you ride >100 miles a week they will steer you toward a "2" and if you ride <50 for example they will steer you to a "1" or even a "T". As far as my own experience I have owned my H2 for about 8 months but only been out on one significant ride with it, about 30 miles with a group of 60+ racer-wannabees, terrorizing the metro-park paths at 12 to 17 mph (mind you 10 mph speed limit! We are BAADDD!). It was comfortable except that I really needed more setback due to the short rails, so after somebody there finally told me I needed to replace my H2 rails and I finished stewing about it, I ordered the new rails. But here in midwinter I have not been out on it yet. My trainer bike has a nice Brooks Swallow on it, and I'm just getting that fitting dialed in. I expect my H2 to be stiffer in the sense that it should stretch more slowly and keep its shape relative to my shape.

So I would say I found the H2 to be very comfortable based on how it adapted to my butt pretty quickly, with minimal pain or abrasion points, but I did not consider it very soft. But definitely better than the most recent X1 I own. It awaits me on my Masi, until the weather warms up again.
The differences in rider weight is in the T, X and H series. T for up to 120 lbs, X for up to 190 and the H for up to 250. The differences between the 1 and 2 is the 2's can be disassembled and reassembled by hand to replace tops as they wear. The 1's cannot.
Then, there are other lettered versions which instead of leather are rubber or carbon fiber, slotted and non-slotted.
Old 12-27-20, 09:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
The differences in rider weight is in the T, X and H series. T for up to 120 lbs, X for up to 190 and the H for up to 250. The differences between the 1 and 2 is the 2's can be disassembled and reassembled by hand to replace tops as they wear. The 1's cannot.
Then, there are other lettered versions which instead of leather are rubber or carbon fiber, slotted and non-slotted.
My apologies for mixing up the significance of the letters versus the numbers, you are correct of course!

Then, your question was whether I think the steel frame and the modern modular frame feel different in riding. I have a lot more miles on the steel frames versus the modular frames. I ride my first modular with it's metal rails, and it felt pretty good even wityout providing the setback I like my first modular better than my recent steel frames, but I think that's more because the 250# saddle top is better for me than the middle weight range. I would not say the modular frame rides softer or with more suppleness than the CrMo steel frames.
Old 08-14-22, 03:13 PM
23109VC

Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 30, 2008 Scott SUB 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the the help - i ended up finding what I think is a great saddle… i tracked down one in the color combo I wanted to match my bike… finding a nice aero seat in black/yellow turned out to be quite a chore. The end result looks and rides great. A bit firmer than my last seat, but nothing my butt hasn’t become used to. This is an old thread.. i just haven’t logged in for some time… i was buying the new seat b/c of a bad crash that put me in the hospital for a few days..and I have been slow to fully get back into biking..hence not as much activity here.